Well, it's time... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Wink

Tomorrow my cat Lil' Dude is going to his new parents. I have thought about it for a long time and know that I cannot take him on the road with me, he is a terrorist cat after all. He is very destructive in a cute cat kind of way, but I cannot have that in my egg. The new parents have been patiently waiting for him for four months, I know they will be good to him and him good for them in his own terrorist kind of way. He is a beautiful gray tabby, absolutely beautiful, he will be missed, but loved very much in his new home...
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've made the right decision for both you and the cat. Too often we allow emotions to overrule common sense and then need to make much tougher decisions because of it. You will be happy, your cat will be happy... sounds like win-win to me.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Well thank you DD, I had kind of a rough day. I gave him to a guy and his wife that work next door to me. The wife was supposed to be there to pick him up at 9am, but she didn't show up until 11am. I found out later it was because she wanted to vacuum before he got "home" so she didn't freak him out. The vacuum they had broke, so she went out and bought a new one...LOL So her showing up late to get him was because she was worried about vacuuming on his first day there. All worked out okay in the end. I just talked to her and he is doing the usual hiding thing, but he knows where his litter box is and his food and water, he will come out eventually. I am sure I did the right thing. Thanks again for the support.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I feel for you Monica, I'm glad you found a good home for him. When we go on the road next year, our cat will be moving in with my mom. Luckily, our kitty has lived there before, and is "friends" with her dog, so that shouldn't be too difficult of an adjustment. I do feel a bit of guilt knowing I won't be able to see her again for a long time once we leave, but there is no way we could travel with her, she is very nervous. You made the right choice.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Sounds like the cat is going to be well loved!!! what a sweet thing she did and just goes to show you their sincere about taking in "your baby".....your doing the right thing....take care Brandy

Quote:
Well thank you DD, I had kind of a rough day. I gave him to a guy and his wife that work next door to me. The wife was supposed to be there to pick him up at 9am, but she didn't show up until 11am. I found out later it was because she wanted to vacuum before he got "home" so she didn't freak him out. The vacuum they had broke, so she went out and bought a new one...LOL So her showing up late to get him was because she was worried about vacuuming on his first day there. All worked out okay in the end. I just talked to her and he is doing the usual hiding thing, but he knows where his litter box is and his food and water, he will come out eventually. I am sure I did the right thing. Thanks again for the support.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Sounds like you did well in choosing his new home. Partings can be bittersweet even if they are for good reasons. Good luck on your travels.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

Well, I will be bringing Lil' Dude back home tomorrow, it's been four days and he won't eat and has only used the litter box a couple times. He's been hiding out behind the couch since they took him home. I feel really bad and am worried about him, I hope I didn't 'ruin' him by sending him over there. They are very worried about him too. I will let you all know if he gets back to normal once he comes home. Looks like I am taking him on the road after all...poor little guy!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Monica

Cats are like that. Our daughter has a cat, Parker. She brought Parker over when she went on a trip for 8 days. We never saw Parker for the first 5 days and then she peeked out around the sofa. We didn't bother her and she finally came out - ate - and then climbed up on my chair. She was just getting really comfortable with us when Cori returned home ...

Lil' Dude probably comes out at night when the house is quiet - maybe eats a little .. it might just take a day or two more. They say that cats will go to the one that feeds him/her... Time will tell.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I do think you need to give it more time. I think it will work, but cats take time to adjust. He will not starve. He will start to eat soon, and if confined to an area where his litter box is, he should use it. Be sure he has HIS litter box, as some cats are fussy. He needs HIS litter too.
My son now has my cat (long sad story - I was forced to place him elsewhere) but Sammy did not eat for the 1st week or longer that he was gone from my house even though he saw me every day. He did come out at night and roam the clinic where I work. But he did NOT eat. I knew eventually he would, and he did. HIs new house has another cat, and 2 big dogs. He is happy there now, but it did take time. He knew my son that has him, so did not go to a stranger, but yes it was a strange home/
I will have to admit I shed a few tears when I saw Sammy a few months later. I just wish there was some way to communicate to these pets of ours as to the why's of what happens in their lives.
I do think your cat will adjust, but it will take longer than the time you are giving it. I would give him at least a couple more weeks. He will s-l-o-w-l-y adjust.
Whatever you decide is what is right for you. Good luck!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It won't be so bad having him on the road. Perhaps you can work on keeping him with you in the rig a little harder. Train a bit more on the destructiveness and keep him amused with other things. It's a lot of work, but you will probably be pleased this happened and you had the opportunity to do it.

Many of us travel with cats. Admittedly, it is easier on the cat to start him as a kitten, but just like dogs... they are confronted with their fears daily and adjust. That will take time, but perhaps it's actually easier on him to make the adjustment WITH you than on his own in a strange place.

He can learn to make the trailer his own. Time is time, and he will have to take it, one way or another.

My cat is currently "hospitalized" in my trailer, recovering from a serious surgery in isolation. Since he has traveled with me, he is not the slightest bit upset.. he is purring in his spot each time I check on him. Despite his infrequent company, he is eating well and seems no worse off for his ordeal. And my trailer is fine.

Litter boxes don't thrill me, but it is a small compromise for having him with me when I go.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You would be suprised at how many cats love traveling. Some like to be loose in the tv and sit on the dash or in a lap. We don't let ours run loose while we drive. We put him in a carry case. We thought when we got Dallas that he would be happy in a carry case that was big enough to have a little food, water and perhaps a cat box but he cried for the whole trip. He was five years old when we adopted him. We put him in a smaller case and he felt all safe and secure and now he loves his case. He jumps in it was we hook up the trailer. Dallas may not enjoy the riding part but he doesn't complain because he would rather travel with us and be with us in the trailer than be left home.

I know of several traveling cats and they all seem to be happy. We have had two others that traveled with us until they left us due to old age. None seemed the worse for it and most seemed to enjoy it.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You need to be really careful when cats will not eat. If they do not eat for 48 hours, they can get liver disease. Liver disease can be cured on some cats by force feeding that lasts for weeks. This is not something you want to go through. We lost our Munchkin cat, Gatsby, late last year from a series of things that included liver disease that may/may not have been what killed him. He got dog bacteria (He was an indoor cat!) that causes kennel cough in dogs. The vet did not test for this until he got really sick, and I took him in for the 3rd trip. At that time, they also did a nasal flush. He went blind from the anesthesia, got nauseated from the antibiotics to combat the bacteria, and just quit eating. I forced some food down him every day but thought I ought not feed him too much, so he would be encourage to eat on his own. He got liver disease and despite the efforts of two vet hospitals, died. One vet thinks that in addition to the blindness, the anesthesia caused brain damage. (Gatsby is the tuxedo kitten in the pictures. Tobey is the tabby.)
Our adoption folks gave us another Munchkin, Tobey, who is cute as a bug and, together with the new tuxedo kitten we adopted, they make us laugh (I did not want the story to end sad.)
So, eating is a good thing to keep on top of with cats.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Tobey_on_small_cat_tree.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #13

I wanted to leave him a couple more days, but they refuse and are freaking out with worry, they don't want to kill my cat. I also thought a week was minimal for him to adjust, but they won't have it, total anquish on their face. I am hoping tonight he will come out a bit and they may change their minds, but I doubt it...we'll see. I will take him on the road, I am mostly worried about him getting out in a wilderness spot and me not being able to find him. I have always had indoor only cats, but there are always slip ups, the thought freaks me out.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Try a little training for the "just in case time". Use a word like "treat" and give him a moist snack or something that he really likes. Then if he should accidently get out the door of the trailer and is huddled behind the wheels, you can use "treat" to help bribe him into coming within arms reach. Carol and Jim use a stroller and tunnel type toy to keep Jerry safe and yet outside. I have used an figure eight halter and leash for one cat who loved to be outside. Pets are a worry but they are also a lot of company on the road.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Try a little training for the "just in case time". Use a word like "treat" and give him a moist snack or something that he really likes. Then if he should accidently get out the door of the trailer and is huddled behind the wheels, you can use "treat" to help bribe him into coming within arms reach. Carol and Jim use a stroller and tunnel type toy to keep Jerry safe and yet outside. I have used an figure eight halter and leash for one cat who loved to be outside. Pets are a worry but they are also a lot of company on the road.
LOL, it is funny, that little guy would NEVER eat people food or even wet cat food. Only his crunchies. The night before he went to his new home I had steak with sauteed mushrooms, he LOVED the mushrooms, ate about six of them. He won't eat treats, the only think I have found that he will eat is sauteed mushrooms, weirdo! Guess I could keep some sauteed just in case...LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I wanted to leave him a couple more days, but they refuse and are freaking out with worry, they don't want to kill my cat. I also thought a week was minimal for him to adjust, but they won't have it, total anquish on their face. I am hoping tonight he will come out a bit and they may change their minds, but I doubt it...we'll see. I will take him on the road, I am mostly worried about him getting out in a wilderness spot and me not being able to find him. I have always had indoor only cats, but there are always slip ups, the thought freaks me out.
If he isn't microchipped, get it done, then at least if he gets lost and found you have a chance of getting him back. And I'd teach him to like a crate. Put treats inside, and a heated bed, and he'll like it- don't shut him in until you have to, just make it an attractive place to sleep. Then when you need to, such as when you are setting up a campsite, you can close him in safely.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Monica, Cindy is right, he needs to eat. He could get Feline Hepatic Lipidosis, aka, fatty liver disease. I personally would go get him and make sure he is eating again. Then maybe if they are willing take a second try.They could try locking him up in a bathroom with his favorite food, a soft bed, a few toys, and litter box. Limiting their space can help them when they are so scared.

The idea of camping with a cat freaks me out too. I know lots of people do it but with my inside cats it would scare me too much. If you are going to take him get him accustomed to a snug harness. Find the kind that he can't back out of, possibly a small dog one or one of these http://www.metpet.com/. I have had good luck with the walking jackets but Carol says Jerry can get out of one.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Jerry does have a walking jacket but that little guy can back right out of it. The secret is to put a harness or walking jacket on the cat, use a leash, but never get ahead of the cat. All Jerry has to do is stop behind us, back up and out he goes. He is use to the harness and leash so that does make it a lot easier... we just never get in front of him. We mostly use the stroller, which he loves .. that's his safe place (with a harness and leash).

We've tried several types of harnesses... Here's Jerry in another type of walking harness.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1841.JPG  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #19

Well, he is home now, I am petting him. I have thought of a harness, but I don't want him to Want to go outside, so not to train him to like it. He ate good, drank a lot of water and has used the litter box for both movements. He hasn't purred yet, but is making little cute sounds when I pet him, almost heart breaking love sounds. He is home and will stay with me, I am apparently his momma and that is as is, what can we do. I am doing my best, he is my "bouy".
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm glad he is doing well. As for the harness it's not necessary that he go to the big outside. He can wear it while you travel as a security measure to keep him from getting away from you.

What kind of trailer do you have? Could you make him a small enclosure in one of the corners where he would be safe and secure while you go in and out?