Went to look at a ParkLiner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Went to look at a ParkLiner

Had a nice visit with Tim & Rita over south of Syracuse yesterday. Tim knew we were interested in a ParkLiner, and invited us over to take a look-see, so off we went, about a 3 hour one-way drive. First real trip too in our new tug, a 2013 Escape with the 2 liter ecoboost motor and factory tow package. (Just as an aside here, I spent about all day Saturday sealing the paint on the Escape with a product ya gotta know somebody to get - Mopar's MasterShield Paint Sealer.)

Looking at Tim & Rita's ParkLiner about confirmed what we thought - we loved it! We may still wait for the Copake rally to see a few other eggs, but maybe not too.

Tim & Rita were very gracious. Tim even let me set the ParkLiner tongue down on my ball mount to see how it would affect the rear height of the Escape, something I was concerned about. Well, the concern evaporated, as the rear of the Escape sat down less than an inch, maybe 3/4". So no WDH needed, a good thing! Also, Tim says he's never had a problem with sway, so looks like all I need to worry about now is wiring the Escape for a 7 pin RV plug, and (gulp), buying a ParkLiner!

The space inside these little eggs is amazing. The queen size bed with a special "magic" table offered can seat 6 for dinner, cards, or whatever, and turn into a queen size bed at night. For the little woman and me, I bet we would mostly leave the bed up and use the side dinette for meals, reading, etc. No question these ParkLiners are very well thought out and a quality product as well.

Thanks again Tim & Rita!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Hi, Frank. I was hoping you'd post after seeing a PL in person. I've never seen one but also wish to purchase one. So your comments are very much appreciated. So glad to hear you liked it.
Kristen in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

New York
We loved it Kristen. It will be the perfect RV for folks like us that like to live in the outdoors but have a roof, a queen size bed, a place to get out of the weather and eat, read, whatever, combined with a lightweight, dynamically air streamed egg!

Frank
Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
No thanks needed as we enjoyed your company too. Attending some gatherings is a good idea, then you get to look at several different campers at one place. You can check and see who is going and what they have for a camper to see what's going to be there.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

New York
Cool Tim! Gonna go out and put that newly rebuilt drawer in the old Sunline T-1550, do some cleaning and get it on craigslist. Next up is my '09 GMC, new tires Wednesday, clean that baby up and sell it to somebody younger than me! Then I gotta get the Honda ATV cleaned up and running and sell that. Sheesh! Toys... Keeping the old tunnel hull speed boat though, that baby is too much fun!

Hope you & Rita have a great evening!

Frank
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Glad ya liked it, the ParkLiner's are a pretty awesome trailer. Im very happy with mine. Im sure you will be happy with yours when it arrives.

Best of Luck!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

New York
Thanks Deryk! Can't wait, but gotta. Not made of money, need to sell some stuff first. Just went out and took some pics of the old Sunline, put the newly rebuilt drawer in, and after dinner get in and do some cleaning. Take care,

Frank
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Best of Luck Frank! I guess I got lucky with my boat getting totalled lol! Im very happy with the ParkLiner, going camping in it this weekend. Need to pick up gas for the generator since they say saturday isgonna be real hot! No point in not being comfortable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #9

Name: elaine
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Hi
It was great to see your post as my husband and I just were talking about how much an Escape would tow. We are thinking of getting one for our next car and I am enchanted with the Parkliner although I have not found one near Dayton Ohio to see.
Elaine
Elaine in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

New York
I think the Escape is gonna do just fine Elaine, maybe better than just fine. This 2 liter ecoboost puts out 240 hp in a relatively light package, and with the tow package, more than exceeds what would be needed to tow a ParkLiner. After our first highway drive in it to look at the ParkLiner yesterday, it sure has lots of get up and go.

The only thing I don't like about the Escape is that I have to install a 7 pin RV connector. Here they sell a vehicle rated for more pounds than most states require for trailer brakes, and they put a 4 pin flat plug on it! Grrr. I'm lucky I have a friend who has installed the 7 pin plug on a 2013 Escape like ours, but it still will take me hours to install. Did I already say "Grrr?"

Other than that, we both love this car. It promises good highway mileage not towing and plenty of power to tow. It really is very cool to drive.

Good luck!

Frank
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Frank_A - Just get yourself a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. No need to rewire the camper.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Its the wrong way Sheryl, he needs a break controller and a 7 pin connection for the trailer electric breaks and charging wire.

I think it cost me about $250 to have mine installed on the Rav4

Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #13

New York
Exactly Deryk. I only wish it was plug & play! I have one of those 7 pin to 4 pin adapters for my pickup to haul the boat and utility trailer.

Where did you have your 7 pin installed? I've been thinking about hiring it done, but I want to run my wires inside not outside, so figure I'm better off to do it myself. Than it will be done the way I want. I figure it will take me a full weekend morning to get it done. $250 isn't a bad deal!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Its the wrong way Sheryl, he needs a break controller and a 7 pin connection for the trailer electric breaks and charging wire.

I think it cost me about $250 to have mine installed on the Rav4
Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Frank, I went to a local trailer shop and he did it in a few hours. I called around a list of numbers from the yellow pages, most were right in the same price range except one wanted closer to $500... needless to say he didnt get the job lol. Because I installed a 4 pin wiring harness when I bought the Rav4 for my little red gypsy vardo, the installer probably just followed my wire run. I did use zipties and kept the wires well tucked in but I can see the merrit of running them inside the vehicle if you like going off road.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #15

New York
I don't want to go off road Deryk, just want a nice clean factory-like installation. It helps having a friend who did it and sent me pics of how! It will still take me a full morning, I'm sure.

I took Friday off to get the old Sunline and my '09 GMC ready for sale. With company coming the next two weekend, it just never seems to let up!

Enjoy your day!

Frank
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Frank
If you go the DIY brake controller wiring route this is the wiring kit to go with. Everything you need for the wiring job and it includes drawings.
Eddie
Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires etrailer Accessories and Parts ETBC7
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #17

New York
That is the one I am getting Eddie, thanks! I have the page up, just need 65 bucks...

Unfortunately, it does not have a video for install in a 2013 Escape, but I got it figured out thanks to a friend who has done it with this same kit.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Frank
If you go the DIY brake controller wiring route this is the wiring kit to go with. Everything you need for the wiring job and it includes drawings.
Eddie
Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires etrailer Accessories and Parts ETBC7
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Today every vehicle has a forum. Go to the forum and search for towing. The two big hurdles are finding the brake wire to trigger the controller and getting wires through the fire wall. By reading a forum post I was able to obtain the color code for the brake wire on my '03 Tundra and found the wire in a bundle under the door sill. A couple of strait pins and a meter let me verify it before I connected. On the Subaru forum I found a rubber plug to bring wire through the fire wall. Both vehicles took me the better part of a day. Removing trim panels takes time and is stressful . I'm a big fan of wire loom and have heard nothing but bad things about scotch loks. Dont forget the circuit breakers. Have fun, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #19

New York
That's a fine idea Raz. Why didn't I think of that? Usually I am a forum kind of dude. I'll find an Escape forum today and search for the right color brake wire.

I know where to go with this stuff, other than knowing what color(s) the brake wire is. There is a wire loom grommet in the right rear of the car to run wires up to the front, behind and under trim on the passenger side, up to the front and under the rug over to the driver's side where it will exit into the engine compartment through a 2" square plastic cover under a flap of rug/insulation high up above the brake pedal. I know where the circuit breakers will go, and both power and ground are easy once I have the wires into the engine compartment.

You are absolutely correct that removing trim panels is time-consuming and stressful. Been there before, but hope ot never be there again once this is done. I figure it will take me at least 4 hours to do this, maybe more. Grrr.

Frank
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I can't help with the Escape, but here is a link that shows the installation of a controller & charge line for a RAV4 that might give you some ideas. It took the better part of a full day to do the install in my RAV4, plus the cost of parts, so $250.00 is well worth it if they did it right!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner