went to the storage yard to take some measurements and - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: robert
Trailer: 74 perris pacer
California
went to the storage yard to take some measurements and

someone scratched my trailer!
Had it less than a week, parked..
some people just have a jealous problem I think.
Naturally the yard has no cameras there but plenty of big signs saying they do.
hangemhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Scratched

Sorry to hear of your damage. Some people are just real swines! Look for telltale paint transfer, perhaps? Hopefully not too hard to touch up....
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Sad to think that maybe some kid thought this was just some way to make himself look like a brave big shot in front of his friends...maybe.....If this the case Believe me...keep your ears open because kids can not keep their mouths' shut.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very disappointing, to say the least! Is the damage to paint or gelcoat?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Chester
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
That's a bummer, man
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
That is anger inducing! I am so sorry. Hope you can buff it out or touch it up.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
That is anger inducing! I am so sorry. Hope you can buff it out or touch it up.
thanks..I'm over it now.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Very disappointing, to say the least! Is the damage to paint or gelcoat?
it was just a scratch..I carefully rub caulking in it to keep the elements out.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Robert it seems like the storage place might have some liability there being you are paying them to store your trailer safely (assuming within a fenced & gated storage area), especially when they don't have cameras but signs that say they do...I would be ticked too and insist they cover the damage even if it is in the form of some rent free storage.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Johnny, I'm pretty sure the fine print on the rental contract lets them off the hook. In general, storage facilities are high theft/vandalism targets, and security is minimal.

Even if they had cameras, it's unlikely the police would do much when the damage is minimal. My vehicle was sideswiped at Walmart- hit and run- that left a gouge in the plastic bumper fascia and minor paint damage on the wheel arch and rear door. It was caught on camera. The police looked at the tape and said it was a white car. The end.

I was kind of peeved for a few days- I just got the vehicle back from the shop after being rear-ended, so the damaged bumper and paint were brand new! But in the end... fill it in, touch it up, buff it out, move on. It's only stuff.

More than one person has had their whole trailer stolen from a storage yard. That might be something more important to address. I would probably want to install redundant anti-theft devices, including a strong coupler lock and a wheel boot. A few people also install a GPS tracking unit hidden inside.

Bottom line is you have to take responsibility for security yourself. How much you do depends on how much you have invested, how good your insurance coverage is, and how much risk you're willing to accept.

The safest place for your trailer is in a campground being used, so get out and camp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I see your point Jon, someone did the same thing to our mini van (which was left to my wife by her late mother) in a Lowe's parking lot. The care that did it was right beside ours and was sitting extremely crooked in its spot and the damage corresponded to than vehicle inline with the damage to ours including paint swaps. I don't see anyway possible that the driver didn't know the did it because they had to back up an make a 2nd attempt to park but was still crooked as a witches nose. I came out of Lowe's and found it. The police officer who came I went to high school with and he sided with me but had to pass the case on to an investigator. Lowe's wouldn't let me see or have a copy of the tape, which it happened right in front of the main entrance right under a camera with a couple of more pointed that way. Investigator said they couldn't make a definitive answer but I am not sure I buy that being the vehicle had to back up and make a 2nd attempt. The driver came out while I was waiting for the police and acted like he didn't know about it which was really irritating. I kind of expect that kind of thing in a regular public parking lot, but not in a private fenced in storage area that I am paying the business to store it which includes a certain amount of safeguarding like cctv recording. But I guess your right in this litigation happy but be responsible for nothing and fine print disclaimer day and age...but you are right it is just stuff.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #12

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We once stored a trailer in our local storage lot. While there someone broke the picture window and climbed in cutting up the upholstery with broken glass. We didn't keep anything of value in it.
Bottom line , the lot had a clause absolving them of any responsibility.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote