What a great idea for Christmas Giving! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
What a great idea for Christmas Giving!

I apologize for the length of this, but it's truly one of the best E-mails I've received in a LONG time. I want to share it via this Forum and a couple of others I frequent. We think this is very timely!. Hope you do too.

Regards,

Keith & Shirley Williams
Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. WalMart, KMart, Target, etc. want Americans to BUY, . . .with what? The wages earned from NOT having a job? There may be a reason that WalMart's largest revenue store is in China, not in America.

This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Oh.... Yes there is! It is time to think outside the box, people.

Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? How about putting the gift in an American made storage box? Everyone could use another storage box! HOMZ makes very reasonably priced plastic containers right here in America.

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE, well, almost everyone, gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Benjamins on a Chinese-made flat-screen TV? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course, Bingo parlor or ball park.

There are a gazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint.

Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains that offer little support to America -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open. WalMart, et al have China supporting them and will not miss your business.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes. These would be much more thoughtful gifts than a mass produced item with the personality of a box of crayons.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip.

And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater. Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community.

If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering smog filled city. Christmas is now about caring about US (We the People), encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we could not imagine.

THIS is the new American Christmas tradition!!

This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

Perhaps, even something for our Trailers ???? (Made in the USA, of course)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There are some good points throughout that post and I subscribe to many of the great ideas,although none goes to the point of the holiday.

One point stands out ...."The wages earned from NOT having a job?"...
If it weren't for so much of that going on, then "(We the People) would prosper by putting more pressure on the lawmakers to reign in foriegn trade and produce more "wages earned from having jobs" resulting in a BIG bonus of a smaller government taking less from the latter group by making it bigger than the former.
Just to set the record straight... That isn't what CHRISTmas is all about, but I'm told that people are commonly offended when confronted with the Good News!
Of course caring is a good thing!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Keith Williams... THANKYOU THANKYOU and THANKYOU!!! Your reminder is very seasonal!!!
When my late father in law said he no longer needed anything for Christmas we started to spend that portion of gift giving at the grocery store. Two cases of infant formula taken to the local food bank in his honour with a thankyou card sent for his Christmas Cheer.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Great ideas Keith.

Back to that" Think locally not globally."
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I quit giving or accepting purchased gifts 30 years ago, mainly in protest of the commercialization of the holiday. I like this idea though

I prefer to exchange companionship, meals, and homemade items at the holidays.

David
Old 11-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
A few years ago we asked our grandchildren to buy for Toys for Tots instead of getting us gifts. All we wanted to know was what they bought. The kids thought that was a great idea. as for our adult kids, we asked them to make a charitable contribution. All we wanted to know was where they donated. Some years they ask if we have a preference. This year our preference is to a Parkinson's organization since DW was diagnosed with it this fall.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Being a small business owner I think this idea is great.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
That is so good I just posted it on my facebook page. Thankyou!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I discovered a long time a go a handmade gift will outlast a purchased item by generations. When our now grown kids were small I started wood carving. I made them a hand carved, personalized, Christmas ornament every year until they were grown. The grand kids first gift from me was a hand made baby cradle. Then for a number of years I made wooden toys for them. It got pretty interesting when 2 of the boys reached 4 or 5, they were sure there was a Santa Claus, they knew him. To them this old guy with a white beard they called grandpa that made wooden toys was Santa Claus. Right now I'm finishing up on ornaments for the younger grandkids and Christmas pins for the daughters and oldest granddaughter. The daughters will also be getting some of my hand made stuff. Now that's American Made. I also purchase my wood from a local saw mill, that mills local hardwood.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Sandy and I began giving each other and our families gift certificates from Heifer (actually, we gave Heifer certificates to each other and the grown kids which we purchased from Heifer for various animals, such as water buffalo, ducks, chickens, etc.)

The certificates went to the family members we were gifting, showing what live animals, etc. were purchased by us for Heifer to distribute in our names to each of our family members.

We were a little hesitant to start the new gifting system with the "kids", but much to our surprise, they are now doing the same with us!

Also, our Church has been making from 450 to 750 peanut butter and jam sandwiches EVERY WEEK, without fail, to distribute to the homeless who gather on Friday night, for about SEVEN YEARS! Although we could not volunteer to make the sandwiches, we help fund the purchase of the Peanut butter and the jam. The local safeway donates their excess bread on friday, and people from all around Tacoma, not just our Church, but other Churches, Scout troops, Campfire Girls, Hi-School kids, local college students, etc. are now supporting the effort.

Sandy, and a few others are knitting hats, scarves and gloves and mittens to hand out during the winter PB & J feeds...there are many small children that are homeless with their families that suffer terribly in the cold.

The knitters also knit all-cotton bandages which are sent to Viet Nam, where leprosy is rampant. The knit bandages can be sterilized and re-used, and the "open" weave allows the fresh air to get to the wounds, to aid healing.

Many people no longer send Christmas cards, but donate the money to various charities, where the money can help where it is needed.

All-in-all, we are now having the most up-lifting and joyfull Christmases of our lives. And we have no regrets.

Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Folks we are closing this topic. Please remember that while that we are a community of folks with a shared interest in Molded Fiberglass Eggs, we have varied opinions about most other things. For this reason political discussions and many other off - topic discussions are not suitable for our community. If you have questions about this please review our Community Rules.

Thanks for understanding.
Closed Thread