What are these and why does everything still work?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
Joe,

With my Trillium I decided I did not need to replace my nonfunctioning old converter with a new converter. The reason was that I was/am only using a few amps of 12vdc power. Here is what I did:

- Isolated CTEK charger and AGM battery as you have done. Battery is only online when boondocking.
- I use a SMALL AC to DC adapter to provide 12vdc power when the campsite has 110vac power.

Very simple and it works.

Note: Another downside to using the battery while charging is that the battery is being put through additional discharge/charge cycles, and thus won't last as long.

-John

Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #30

Michigan
Registry
Joe,

And by the way using a CTEK charger that has a power supply mode is another great idea, but too late for me because I had already purchased a CTEK charger without that feature.

-John

Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #31

Michigan
Registry
Joe,

With 8 LED bulbs and a LP detector, my 12vdc power needs are well under 2 amps. I have a $10 110vac to 12vdc adapter that I plug into a 110vac outlet I added inside the cabinet. If my 12vdc power needs increase, I will simply buy a higher output 110vac to 12vdc adapter. (12vdc circuit protection, e.g fuses, is still needed.)

When boondocking, I switch to the battery.

-John
Old 04-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #32

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Guys, I cant thank you enough for all this. Before I started this project, I didn't completely understand the Casita how all the wiring works, etc. I was making upgrades without understanding the whole picture. Now, I believe I've got it!! I even understand how John a month back told me to use a STDP switch to go from converter to battery. (switching which one was going to power the DC panel). Now that I've dug in, took stuff apart, followed wires, and read what you guys said, it all makes sense!! The light bulb turned on!!

1) The 110 AC powers the 110 AC stuff
2) The 110 AC powers the converter
3) The converter converts 110v power and sends 12v to 12v panel
4) The battery also powers the 12v panel
5) The converter charges the battery

Its that simple! So with an AGM, I need to eliminate #5. I can use a simple adapter that John is talking about instead of #3. I also just eliminated of #2. I believe this is the simplest of all setups - what John has.

All that said, I now realize my charger could be better. A 7002 would have been better than my 4.3mus due to having more uumph, and its ability to use DC while charging. A simple converter like Johns can replace my converter.

What will I do now? Now that I understand how everything ties into each other, I will redo a "master plan" and ditch my big converter, rewire/switch in a simple converter and use a better charger, etc. This will take more planning, time, and $, so its going in the "to do in the future list". For now, I'm going to get the capacitors soldered on my converter and go camping!!!

Thanks again guys!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #33

Michigan
Registry
Joe,

If you switch to a CTEK 7002 I think it has a supply mode, allowing it to operate as a power supply instead of a charger. If you switch to that, you would not need the 110vac to 12vdc adapter.

-John
Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #34

Ohio
Yea, I thought about that to John. I may do that. But I may decide to keep the charge and the convert as two separate items for component simplicity. If the ctek quit on a trip, I'm out all my DC. Similar to the phone/answering machine combo, or tv/dvd combo. Never liked em!

I'm going to do some reading on specs etc and take my time designing the final deal now that I understand whats going on!!

Thanks for the thought!

added - I also want ability to be able to convert (simple converter) for DC usage, and charge battery at same time. Not sure 7002 would do that.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #35

Ohio
Well, the end of the story! I bit the bullet and bought a Progressive Dynamics PD4655. I upgraded from Parallax 7345 45 amp to PD4655 55 amp by doing this. Randy at BestConverters said it would not be an issue to go from 45amp to 55amp. Now I can still charge my battery with the CTEK, but if I need a faster charge, I can flip off the CTEK and turn the battery switch on which will charge the battery from the PD4655. I installed it tonight. Went very well and everything works! If I ever sold the Casita, it will be good to have a nice functional charger/converter too. Yank out my battery charger and its all back to original!

Thanks everybody for your help!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Well, the end of the story!
Thanks everybody for your help!!
Congratulations, however this is not quite the end here Joe. After all your studies, you are now queued up to run the next class on this subject.

I've only gotten as far as receiving delivery of an intelligent charger (Battery Tender Junior). I still have the functioning Parallax in service as a converter, but figure that will be fine as I am shifting the battery maintenance duties to the new unit.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #37

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Congratulations, however this is not quite the end here Joe. After all your studies, you are now queued up to run the next class on this subject.

I've only gotten as far as receiving delivery of an intelligent charger (Battery Tender Junior). I still have the functioning Parallax in service as a converter, but figure that will be fine as I am shifting the battery maintenance duties to the new unit.
I might be able to do that!!!

Your setup seems simpler. I wish they sold just a converter w/o a charger function that bolts right in. I like simple.

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal