What Are You - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What are you. I am more of a traveller than a Camper. I prefer to be on the move all the time. If I want to be camping it would be with out hook ups and for a few days only,Hook ups would be used only when I had to stay in one place for a resonable long time. I consider a Rver to be one who has a RV but stays at hook ups only.

What type are you?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
all at various times.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We're happy to dry camp at a national park "primitive" site and use our trailer as a home-base with heat and indoor plumbing, and can stay put for days until our grey or black holding tanks fill. We've hauled off to places with full hookups and used our trailer like a hotel room with a kitchenette and microwave while we go sightseeing. What we don't tend to do is stay put for weeks at a time, though we may find ourselves ding just that now and then when we retire.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
We boondock, roughing it, we go to an area we want to really explore, set up home base then go everywhere exploring an area thoroughly, we are self contained in our tiny trailer.

Harry & Kenna
Attached Thumbnails
camper_truck_williams.JPG  
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Haven't figured that out yet. We're relatively new to RVing and still discovering different things. So far ...

We've traveled over 8000 miles picking up the only two travel trailers we've owned. All of this in the course of one year. The adventure and experience of trying something new was fun. On the other hand we spent a couple of days in an RV resort near Yuma and hated it. Boring. We also set up camp (boondocked) a few times in Anza Borrego State Park and had a great time. I especially liked sitting by a campfire at night and reading a book under a Coleman lantern. The daily hikes were great too. The only other outings were for a weekend at a County park and Santee Lakes, which is a campground run by a local water district. The County park was nothing special but strangely enough Santee Lakes was fun. I enjoyed watching the families have so much fun.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
As long as I'm out, it's all good. I'll be just as happy hauling the camper, or sleeping under the stars (mosquito's are much less bother in the camper). Hookup's, or not. Getting out is what it's all about.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Not so much a RVer, seldom full hook-ups here. Dry camping mostly, like public campgrounds, nat'l forest, parks, state parks and wal-marts while traveling or some free site if possible.
Free & Low Cost Campgrounds

Much like Peter stated, "We're happy to dry camp at a national park "primitive" site and use our trailer as a home-base with heat and indoor plumbing, and can stay put for days until our grey or black holding tanks fill. We've hauled off to places with full hookups and used our trailer like a hotel room with a kitchenette and microwave while we go sightseeing. What we don't tend to do is stay put for weeks at a time...."

Seldom with full hookups, happy with electric & water. Wanting to do more in place camping now that we are retired. But with grandkids in other places, we have yet to much of it.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
What type are you?
We are planning to do it all. Our first trip was to a place with full hookups (Scottsdale for Cactus League games - Yes, again this Feb. or March ).

We are boondocking in a Forrest Service campground for all of next week.

The future, this spring, will be a ramble across the country SW - SE - DC - Home? It will be a combination of dry camping and an occasional RV park stop to empty tanks, wash cloths and recharge.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We're Nike's... "Just do it!"

Over 10,000 miles on our 13 Scamp in 3 years....

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
What are you. I am more of a traveller than a Camper. I prefer to be on the move all the time. If I want to be camping it would be with out hook ups and for a few days only,Hook ups would be used only when I had to stay in one place for a resonable long time. I consider a Rver to be one who has a RV but stays at hook ups only.

What type are you?
That describes me exactly, too! Kindred spirits, perhaps?

I just spent a few days near you in Grand Prairie, Alberta, a short time ago, towards the end of July. Beautiful area, weather was nice and cool-well, for me, at least, although most locals were complaining of the heat.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
For us, our EggCamper is a portable aptment. Instead of going sightseeing and heading home the same day, we can sleep over at our destination and spend the full weekend away. Also we can go away for a week or two, not worry about our dogs, not worry about bed bugs in hotel rooms, the high cost of hotel rooms, or eating out every meal. In short it's our "Eggscape capsule", we can go where we want, when we want at an affordable price .
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
A little of everything but primarily for my work/hobby of Chuck Wagon cooking.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
we use our bigfoot for all types of camping and traveling.. When we are home we are constantly coming up with reasons to go use it. Whether it be for dry camping, full hookups, ralleys, family reunions or going to motocross races
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
That describes me exactly, too! Kindred spirits, perhaps?

I just spent a few days near you in Grand Prairie, Alberta, a short time ago, towards the end of July. Beautiful area, weather was nice and cool-well, for me, at least, although most locals were complaining of the heat.
So Close. It would have been nice to have meet you.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
What artspe said!!!!!!

Although, if I can convince my husband that camping doesn't mean "bored", would like to do that, too!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I do it all. Being self contained and set up for any situation.

I boondock and then when I might want hookups, I hook up.

I rarely just spend one night at a time only when I'm on a time schedule, rarely, Or if there is absolutely nothing interesting in that particular area, rarely.

If I ever get to the full timing step I know I would spent weeks/months in one area until I exhausted anything there that interests me. As a full timer I would not have the need or inclination to just travel/move on until I was ready.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
For me depends on the trip, I prefer full hook ups cause I don't care to use public restrooms, but am able to boondock for a few days if the place we are at is worth it. But to go park in the dirt somewhere just cause it's away from everything........................................ ...... Is just not me! We have been fortunate to have lived in small towns on beautiful acreage most of our married life so camping is not about getting away from the city for us, it's about spending time with friends and family enjoying great adventures the great outdoors, tourist traps, etc and not worrying about the a nasty Hotel room................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #18

Trailer: Trail Michigante
We're all of the above, depending on the trip. During our annual working trip as reporters for the Race Across America we stop and sleep wherever; at the event's time-stations, WalMart, a dark side road, whatever works.

After the event we take several weeks to get home and always do some major 'sploring of the USA.

Sometimes we'll get a real campsite for a night or two, especially if we need to do laundry, get real showers, etc or if it's really hot and humid and we need to use our air-conditioner. But we'll more often find an out-of-the-way place to drop anchor. Kathy is real big on using our "FREE USA CAMPSITES GUIDE." We've found some real gems in there, and the price is right. Actually not all of them listed there are free; most are and those that charge are usually under ten bucks.

I also use our beloved Trail Mite as my home when I'm off doing my other gig as a bicycle event promoter. The past two weekends for instance, we had events a Whiskeytown Lake near Redding, CA. I stayed at one campground (no hook-ups, just pit toilets and a water spigot) for a week to put on a California State Championship Mountain Bike Race that used the campground for the start/finish. Then I moved to a nicer, cooler site right on Clear Creek for the following weekend's 24 Hours of Whiskeytown. I was fully comfortable with using our sun shower for myself and for doing dishes. After five nights I'd used up one battery with night-time reading and running the fan and switched to the second battery and still had juice left at the end of two weeks...the weather was much cooler the second week and I didn't need the Fantastic Fan as much.
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #19

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we use our 13' trillium for everything---boondocking (we have a portapotty that we only ever use if there are no other facilities), we use "regular" campgrounds but only need hydro..i have zero problems getting a bucket of water to do my dishes in....and when we head south each spring, we live in it for 4-8 weeks..at everything from flying j's. walmarts, campgrounds ....and love every minute.
for us, it is the "getting away" that is the attraction. we pack lightly, live simply and just enjoy.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
...Kathy is real big on using our "FREE USA CAMPSITES GUIDE." We've found some real gems in there, and the price is right. Actually not all of them listed there are free; most are and those that charge are usually under ten bucks.
Sounds interesting, your guide...what guide are you referring to?

I just Googled and discovered this gem of an internet site for "Free Campsites Guide" that I have never seen before. Is this it?

http://www.allstays.com/c/camping-free.htm

It even lists the sites by type and by a map which is immensely handy when one is planning out an itinerary!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote