What are your best camping tips and tricks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia

handy-wipes are well....handy...for EVERYTHING.....when camping.

let's face it, camping is dirty....wipes work for hands, counters, windows, bathrooms...the list is endless.....and instead of throwing them out if you just leave them somewhere to dry they make the best fire starter (the alcohol in them I guess)

a lot of people use a mounted roller/dispenser for paper towels....I use a standup holder...it can be moved around... and makes a good upper cabinet stuffer/divider when travelling, as already mentioned...buy the wipes in the large container and you've got TWO suffers/dividers about the same diameter

travelling with two people?....try the boat thing...buy two sets of bath towels and face cloths....one red, one green (port and starboard)...never look for the dry towel again...

smallish bungy cord bought in bulk/length and little 1/4" screw eyes.....put em' in anywhere... to keep anything in place during travel...I got bungys ALL over my trailer, behind seatbacks, inside cabinets, in the bath...it's everywhere

to solve upper cabinet "chaos"....design/make your own solution....below is a little thing I made (after measuring the containers I'd use)....it's not fastened but stays put (tight friction fit) so I could be move it if I wanted....and bungys?...there's one that goes through to seperate/keep one row at the back....another bungy holds the kettle and perculator in place against the side of it....and another holds my counter extension/tray against the wall behind the stove...a bungy holds three bulk food containers on a shelf I put in above my fridge..and yet another one keeps my shower curtain folded and flat against the bathroom wall...bungys RULE...LOL...cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
div 1.jpg   div2.jpg  

fridge.jpg   bath2.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Drying the Bath Towel

When returning from the Shower I spread it out over the back seat of the tow vehicle.. Towel always dries by next day.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
Cast iron is heavy but it saves lots of propane because of it's great heat retention and it is so easy to clean!

Buying the pre-marinated meat or skewers from a supermarket is a good way to cook your own food without prepping it.

If you have separate spouts for grey and black tanks, you can drain grey water into a 2 to 5 gallon container and use it for flushing the toilet when boondocking. Saves freshwater and reduces grey dumps.

When running the water to get it hot, run it into a 1 gallon pitcher and save the water for washing or flushing.

In a pinch, a bungee cord can make a great paper towel holder. Different size bungee cords are very handy!

Decide where you need storage, measure and then buy plastic bins/containers/drawers from the hardware store or the container store. Don't buy before you measure!

Suction cup hooks are very useful.

Burt's bees makes makeup/oil/dirt wipes that are a pretty excellent alternative to a shower. Robot Check

These Kelty cache boxes are great for all sorts of things that need to stay put and protected in cabinets: Robot Check

7th generation thymol wipes can be used on dishes and food surfaces without wiping-- you can sanitize with a wipe and eat.

"Miss it twice rule" (thank you PRTexas!) - if you haven't missed it two times, you don't need to buy it.

This post will likely be edited as I think of other things, haha!
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #18
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
I decided to custom make all my storage stuff out of plastic. Had enough requests from people I decided to just make a biz to keep me occupied in retirement!

RV Widget Works | ,
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
All good guidelines. If this repeats the same idea as above, forgive me, but here's one of our rules: If you take something with you and you don't use it the first or the second time, take it out. You don't need it. I am constantly surprised how comfortable we can be with so little brought along.
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #20
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
We use micro fiber bath towels, takes awhile to get use to. They dry quickly, and don't take up much space. We use two colors to keep track of them.
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Norm and Ginny's rule for bedtime.

1. Children once in bed were allowed to read until they fell asleep, no limit on time.

2. No requirement on what they read. We would buy any reading material they wanted.

Both boys are still great readers.
Oh my! I think if my folks had done that I would have still been reading when it was time to get up for school.
Even as an "adult" I will spend at least one day a month at work in a bit of a fog because I got hooked into a page turner and didn't get to sleep until the wee hours.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #22
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
We are very much 'basic' campers. Some basic pots, some basic dishes, some basic foods (some canned), some clothing, some tools for repairs, some things to amuse us on wet days etc. ;-)

We find it important to have a place for the various items - and work at keeping them in the right places. Baskets and clear plastic containers corral things nicely. We just find it easier if we can see what is in a container, (especially as we age and slowly lose our brains! )

Some items may be able to live in the tow vehicle. We cook outside so keep the pots, cooking tools, cans and dried food etc in the back of the vehicle.

It is so long since I've camped with small kids that I don't think I have much advice to offer other than ............

ALWAYS be able to get at the First Aid Kit and make sure it contains the things you may need (from pads for bleeding wounds, to slings and elastic bandages to wee Band Aids for kiddie hurts). Ours also contains a small, info packed booklet - we used it once when we faced an injury that neither of us had dealt with before. It is also where we keep a spare pair of glasses each, tweezers that work and a good pair of scissors. The rule of "If you don't use it for a few trips, leave it at home" doesn't apply to the First Aid supplies! Ours contains lots of useful items and is smaller than a shoe box.

I wish you a great deal of fun!!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #23
Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
One of my favorite Goodwill finds....The 10 inch and 8 inch frypans with folding handles from GSI. These were like new and I was surprised how little storage space was needed when the handle is folded into the pan. Really saves cabinet space.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't quit your daydream.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #24
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Scamp 16DX
Stash a roll of quarters in the trailer for the laundrymat.
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #25
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
I just checked out Charlie's website, RV Widget Works. Neat storage items at a reasonable coat considering they're custom made.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #26
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We drive untill we think we want to overnight somewhere in about 1 hour, look up camping parks in the books (Woodalls Good Sam or KOA) give the park a call and reserve a place then 1 hour later arrive. This way, we are not tied to a schedule and/or specific location where we have to be.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #27
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
these tips are fantastic! love the pictures! I never would have remembered quarters for laundry, that is so smart. Charlie's website is awesome. If I had more time, I'd want them before our trip. Wonder how expensive shipping to Canada would be. Sid, the pan you have is very similar to our pot set, and the skillet I want does the same thing. Very convenient! I'm going to get a proper first aid set ready, great idea to bring along a booklet as well. We certainly won't always have internet access to look things up. I'm making a grand list because we have forgotten things every single time thus far.
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #28
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I try to find low containers made of plastic (even a cut-off cardboard box will do) that fit tightly against each other in the cupboard, so the stuff doesn't move around or fly out during travel. I use low, open-top containers so I can just reach in and grab what's in there. I put stuff back in the same place all the time, so I know right where it is and can reach up and in for an item without needed to pull the container down to look inside.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote