What are your Glass-egg travel plans for 2012? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium

....Americans (that know) come to Vancouver Island by way of the ferry from N.W. Washington to the Island. This ferry lands right smack in downtown (or is that uptown) Victoria. that makes for a shorter ferry ride and (I'm told) costs less as well....

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #30
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We met a Canadain at the Escapee Park and he said night ferries to Vancouver Island are half price.....
Geeezzz I wish I heard about that deal - it may have been on a few occasions but sadly if true I missed it -as a frequent user of the ferries generally BC Ferries cost the same no matter what time of day or night. They did though from time to time have what they called Coast Saver days/deals - not normally half price though - often on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday out of certain terminals at certain times of the day - often early afternoon and or last sailing at 9PM but not often if ever out of Horseshoe Bay (on the mainland) mostly Duke Point on Vancouver Island to Tsawwassen on the mainland and back. Duke Point though is currently closed for repair due to a major ferry crash so all traffic from there is going to Horseshoe Bay not sure what they may offer if anything this summer as the repairs are going to take months to complete.

The cost of the ferry from Port Angele's Washington to Victoria is indeed much cheaper if you are coming from the US or going to the US from Vancouver Island - but be warned that if going from Victoria to Port Angele's it not near the I5 and it a 183 miles from Port Angele's to Portland on a not so straight or wide road - allow a good 5 hours or more from Port Angele's to the Portland area. There are lots of great camping spots close to Port Anglele's though. Another option is the Washington State ferry from Sydney BC (just outside of Victoria) to Anacortes Washington which is much closer to the border & the I5 than Port Angele's & worth considering if you live in BC and want to go to the Island - the cost of that ferry is a bit cheaper than BC Ferries but it may be a push though if you add in the cost of gas to Anacortes from where ever you are coming from in BC. Deception Pass is a great camping park not far from Anacrotes.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote