What are your thoughts? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #15

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
OK, I'll speak up for the nervous ninnies who are afraid of propane. I'm a rational person capable of learning the proper way to operate gas appliances, but honestly, I'd just rather not deal with that whole system. Being a mom has made me a little nutty about all sorts of things other people accept as normal risks, and if one of those risks is rather convenient to remove, it's more than worth it to me.

If I were in the market for a new camper, propane-free would be my first choice, and it's the direction we're headed with our rebuild. We'll camp with electric service if we expect air conditioning is a must, but have otherwise specifically chosen equipment that can run off a good battery or two. Oh, and we would cook outside no matter what the stove option was, so that wasn't a big factor. Solar is something we might someday move up to, but for now, we'll scale back on gadget-usage if power is lacking.

--Jess

Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #16

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
propane. gotta have it. but---we do make sure we keep either a window cracked or the roof vent open plus a window cracked....the onus is on the individuals using the propane to be responsible----the manufacturers' responsibility includes providing quality equipment....but beyond that---it's buyer beware. know what you buy and how to use it...

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
There's a truck camper/class C built in Colorado called Earth Roamer that uses only diesel appliances. As for all electric, we bought an Egg Camper this spring. Propane stuff is on the price list but pricey. Bought a small propane cooktop to use outside along with our propane grill. Gonna order a Honda 2000 in a few minutes. As with anything, if you do something stupid, you're probably gonna pay.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
I like CindyL's suggestion of quality safety devices and EDUCATION, EDUCATION!

That being said, I am one of the minority who is not totally comfortable with the gas. We are in the midst of renovating the interior and have decided to remove the 3-way fridge and stove burners. I'm not adverse to using my Coleman propane stove inside if weather is bad, or a Mr. HeaterBuddy. There's something about SEEING the whole set up with those portable appliances that gives me alittle peace.

Truth be known, I'm probably more likely to have a tree fall on me than a propane problem!
IMHO using a propane device that specifically states "for outdoor use only" or "do not use indoors" such as the camping stoves and portable heaters is more dangerous and could be the culprit in the above mentioned rv death. RVIA standards, similar to Underwriters, are there for manufacturers to follow. A factory installed propane stove or furnace is a lot safer for operation than one made for sitting on a picnic table. In addition, with propane and co alarms, a factory install is safe.
I'd rather not be carrying propane bottles inside my rv, keep them outside.
In addition there is another issue here, any heater regardless of propane or gas, regardless if they are in your rv or residence, need maintenance. Yearly inspections of flues and the burner box should be completed by a licensed individual to determine if the unit is safe to operate. A rv appliance is subject to a lot more abuse than a home furnace, but I venture to guess more of us have some sort of maintenance on our home heating unit performed more than that on our rv. Still, there are a lot more deaths yearly, outside of the rv, and inside homes due to faulty furnaces/chimneys.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
I read an article in a boating magazine a few days ago that scared the heck out of me. The article was written about CO2 emissions leaking from the LP heater, causing a young girl to loose her life. I did some digging and found that several hundred deaths have been attributed to gas appliances in the last year. This is very troubling to me.

With the efficiency and low price of electric appliances, is propane truly worth the danger and hassle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
IMHO in many cases the problem is not the use of propane but the people using it.
(Emphasis mine.)

Many questions come to my mind:
  • Was the boat NEW?
  • Was the heater NEW, and was it a FACTORY INSTALLATION?
  • Were the people in that story Experienced Boat Campers?

Many people think Camping and Boating are "No Brainer" activities. As the movie RV shows, they are entertained by screwing-up in these activities.

How difficult are the automatic appliances of the modern home to operate? Does anyone remember how their MANUAL equivalents operated?
Can a 2011 family live in a 1900 House ?

There are a lot of used equipment out there that has been modified by owners. Some people are fearless in DIY projects that they have no experience with. So many people have set their homes on fire here in San Diego by shoddy DIY Gas Water Heater installations that the city now requires Home Depot to issue and charge customers buying a water heater within the city limits extra for a city permit to install it and have it inspected by the city.

Newer electric appliances may have a low up front price, but their long term operating costs are much higher than gas fired equivalents.

I say, put out the best workmanship in whatever you sell, be it gas (Propane) or electric powered. After that, it's not YOUR responsibility for how the buyers use it.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
I read an article in a boating magazine a few days ago that scared the heck out of me. The article was written about CO2 emissions leaking from the LP heater, causing a young girl to loose her life. I did some digging and found that several hundred deaths have been attributed to gas appliances in the last year.

Nicholas
I think we'd like to see the articles you refer to, Nicholas. Will you supply links?
"Several hundred deaths a year" is a lot.
I've looked around using all the search terms I can think of, and have found nothing about this alarming statistic, or about any young girl's death from propane produced carbon monoxide.
Curiously,the searches only lead here!
Without substantiation, your assertions of fact could be viewed as fear mongering, and that wouldn't help anyone make an informed decision or judgement.

Francesca
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
What are the best LPgas and CO2 detectors to use? Any battery operated ones for easier installation?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
What are the best LPgas and CO2 detectors to use? Any battery operated ones for easier installation?
I think all propane detectors have to be hard wired and are 12v, whereas the others are portable 9v- check CW for alarms here-
Search - alarms - Camping World
or here http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rm-white/48847
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #23

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
First thing, it is Cabon Monoxide (CO) and not Carbon Dioxide (CO2) that is the silent killer. The best suggestion for anyone with any type of propane heater is to slightly crack a window or roof vent for some type of ventilation and use in conjunction with a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector. The previous owner of my CT-13 removed the LP heater because it had no thermostat and was just too hot. I now use a electric ceramic for heat and if "off grid" and I need heat I have a Mr. Buddy propane heater. I also have a CO detector in my CT at all times.

Snoozy, my best advice is to include a disclaimer with the heater and camper and only Darwin can be left to blame after that.

Here is a passive colorimetric CO detector with a 90 day life when opened. $5.00
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/4420

This is similar to the one I am using, it is a personal CO detector and runs off a battery with a 24 month life.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGAQ8wIwAg

Got mine much cheaper because it was used and did not have the full 24 month life, but I think I will be able to replace the battery when it dies.

You can also look for one like any of these at any retailer, make sure it has a "battery backup", I'm sure one of these things can run a while, at least several days/weeks, on 1 9 volt or two AA batteries.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=CO+detecto r+battery+backup&aq=f&aqi=q-n1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6cac2e c68a1bcdb7&biw=1366&bih=613

They also make ones that are strictly battery operated.
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-KN-COB-B...ef=pd_sim_hi_4

Lot of options.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
I think like Frederick. was the boat new or used and was it harsh saltwater environment for Corrosion or freshwater?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a Carbon Monoxide detector in our motorhome. One day we were running our generator and there was little wind and some CO leaked into the motorhome setting off the detector. Absolutely the loudest alarm I've ever heard.

Norm
Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #26

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the idea of equipping with propane but also providing a CO alarm and a sticker reminding the user about safe operation makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
i think the idea of equipping with propane but also providing a co alarm and a sticker reminding the user about safe operation makes a lot of sense.
"x 2"
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Hi, Baj

The first thing I did when I got my Trillium was to take it to a gas man for an inspection and pressure test of the gas system.
This satisfied me that everything was as it should be- no hoky do-it-yourself flex-tubing, no hidden connections, no leaks.
I made sure that he showed me all connection points and joints, which by code must be accessible for inspection. I periodically check these joints myself using the same soapy water solution I leak-test with every time I hook up the tank.
Your next line of defense is your nose- propane is naturally odorless, but after some terrible explosions early last century, mercaptin is added to all propane so that its nasty odor will alert your nose to trouble. No one who's smelled it can mistake it for anything else, and a whiff will send you scrambling for your tank valve!
The next thing to look for is the coveted "blue flame" that indicates your appliances are burning cleanly and generating mostly carbon DIoxide and water. As Panoz points out these are not a threat to your well-being. Make sure your appliances burn that way. A yellow/orange flame is often a sign of bad combustion, and may result in CO production.
A CO detector is a good peace-of-mind investment, especially since you have a little one.
Last and perhaps most importantly, always provide ventilation according to your activities. The biggest threat connected to propane combustion is that the flame will consume room oxygen, and can deplete it below the levels needed to sustain life.

Happy (and warm ) Camping!

Francesca