What Camp Stove Do you Like? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B175CB
California
Registry
Old School

We've been happy with the Coleman Powerhouse two burner stove with 8000 and 9000 btu's each burner. Always use white gas as it is cleaner burning and recommended over unleaded. Plus it lasts a long time.

The Powerhouse is also bigger than the original stove, with enough room for larger pans.

Recently the fire pit gets the grilling and the trailer stove/oven gets the rest.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
We carry a Coleman two burner propane stove. We also have a propane lantern so the cartridges are dual purpose. For outside cooking, we mostly use an electric skillet when shore power is available or the fire pit. We are considering adding some more cast iron to the mix so it's possible we'll switch entirely to using the pit. I also carry a pocket rocket from our backpacking days but it's not that stable and requires a wind shield for optimal performance.

-John

Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
not sure if your planning some amature blacksmithing or something while camping,,,,but,,,, how much output do you need? gas or propane will both certainly burn any dinner i cook so i would say get what you like. i stick with propane normaly, because i don't want to carry a gas can around or have gas on my fingers that makes my BACON smell bad.

did i mention i like BACON!

that being said,,,, i have recenlty developed some sort of fetish for vintage coleman gas stuff and would snap one up if i found one.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #18

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Older Coleman 2 burner propane. Have been using as much of our old tent camping stuff as possible and this one still works good. That and we had a flat of the 1 lb canisters stored away!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Thanks. Think I'm going with propane, Sticking with one fuel source makes allot of sense. I'm a plumber so looks like I will be tapping into the gas line on my Casita and providing a quick connect.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #20

Trailer: My 4th Trillium
Winnipeg
CampChef 3 burner pro 90 and I also have the weekender 2 burner both have been great units
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #21

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that you can buy a fitting that permits you to hook your 1 lb propane cylinder to your larger trailer propane tanks to refill them. Save the empties and refill them. I have used both the propane and the gas and I like the convenience of the propane and not having to keep pumping the gas to keep the pressure up. If you didn't refill before starting a meal changing propane cylinders is easier than refilling the gas.
Barrie
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #22

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
We always have our old two burner Coleman with us. Using propane canisters, dont forget to keep them inside your trailer in cold weather. Hubby wants to get the converter so the propane can come from our trailers tank and we wouldnt have to bring along the canisters. I try to do most of our cooking in the BBQ pit at our site. Love dutch oven cooking, did a pork roast recently @ Quartzsite, AZ. The Coleman is used mostly to heat wash & rinse dish water. Our Coleman stove is probably 30-40 yrs old and still going strong.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #23

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We used a coleman gas stove for years as did all of our camping friends. I remember walking into the communal kitchen early one morning to see our good friend ( also a fire chief) standing at the coleman stove with man sized flames coming out of the stove. When the carburetor gets full of gas from too much pumping it can happen. We often camp with five other familys and every one has switched to propane, it seems safer and the greenies aren't as dangerous a gallon can of gas at camp.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #24

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I'm partial to our Brunton Wind River propane. It is an impressive small suitcase sized beast that I can attach to either a 1#. Or 20# cylinder. Hasn't let me down yet.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that you can buy a fitting that permits you to hook your 1 lb propane cylinder to your larger trailer propane tanks to refill them. Save the empties and refill them. I have used both the propane and the gas and I like the convenience of the propane and not having to keep pumping the gas to keep the pressure up. If you didn't refill before starting a meal changing propane cylinders is easier than refilling the gas.
Barrie
How do you know when to close the valve and stop filling? Any danger of overfilling and exploding the little one?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #26

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
How do you know when to close the valve and stop filling? Any danger of overfilling and exploding the little one?
That's a great question Mike. I guess I just trust the manufacturer that it works safely/ ( enter flames here...) You just attach them and wait a few minutes for the filling to complete. I assume the pressures between the 2 containers are similar. Something to ponder.

Barrie