What can be pulled by a Subaru Impreza? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Greetings,

I'd been a member for a while then dropped out. My wife and I are both retired but with the economy/gas prices as they are we decided to keep our small Subaru Impreza and not opt for a pick-up or small SUV.

I understand there are some small trailers out there that can be pulled by a car (we don't plan any mountain type driving) but I'd love to hear from members who do pull with a smaller car and what they pull.

I'd prefer something besides a small pop-up but that may be the only option we have.

We live near Madison, WI, about 45 miles northeast.

Ken & Barb Merwin
Cambria, WI
Ken Mewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Impreza
Subaru doesn't supply hitches for the sedans or recommend towing and
so it is not suggested or recommended.
All automatics should be able to tow 2000 pounds, with trailer brakes
2008, 2007, 2006 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 automatic trans 2000#; manual 1000#
2001, 2000, 1999, 1998 1997, 1996 1500#
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
In Canada late model Impreza's are tow rated for 1000lb's without trailer brakes, 2000lbs with. However, what is in you manual is what you can tow legally.

This should mean a lightweight 13' without bathroom would be fine as long as you didn't overload it and made sure you used trailer brakes. Note there are many discussions on this forum about manufacturers low ball weight numbers for the trailers - many people find their trailer is 25% heavier then the manufacturers listing.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Ken & Barb!

When we started looking for a lightweight trailer, I started by researching 'pop-ups'. Be really careful - they are frequently much heavier than FG. This was a surprise, but now we're glad we don't have to worry about setup and/or wet canvas as we travel. The T@B retro-teardrop had just come out at that time, but was (and is) way over our budget ... which led us to this WONDERFUL website and the acquisition of a gently used Scamp 13.

We tow with a 6 cyl Mazda MPV and have had no complaints BUT we also have NO illusions about how much we can carry total in both vehicles. When something new comes in, something old goes OUT! We don't have trailer brakes (yet- perhaps when we have to replace the axle) and seldom run over 55 mph. As we say, YMMV ...

According to the Kelly Blue Book website, the 4 cyl 2.5 litre is rated to tow 2000 lbs. - guess that would work if the trailer you find has brakes.

Happy hunting! Whichever you choose, we wish you safe journeys and many happy memories! Regards, L 'n D
Old 05-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Hi Ken & Barb!

When we started looking for a lightweight trailer, I started by researching 'pop-ups'. Be really careful - they are frequently much heavier than FG. This was a surprise, but now we're glad we don't have to worry about setup and/or wet canvas as we travel. The T@B retro-teardrop had just come out at that time, but was (and is) way over our budget ... which led us to this WONDERFUL website and the acquisition of a gently used Scamp 13.

We tow with a 6 cyl Mazda MPV and have had no complaints BUT we also have NO illusions about how much we can carry total in both vehicles. When something new comes in, something old goes OUT! We don't have trailer brakes (yet- perhaps when we have to replace the axle) and seldom run over 55 mph. As we say, YMMV ...

According to the Kelly Blue Book website, the 4 cyl 2.5 litre is rated to tow 2000 lbs. - guess that would work if the trailer you find has brakes.

Happy hunting! Whichever you choose, we wish you safe journeys and many happy memories! Regards, L 'n D
I towed a Starcraft tent trailer with a '87 Subaru wagon. It's not what it can tow ( even if the owner's manual shows a big red X through a picture of a trailer ), it's whether you can stop.

I bought a Ford Explorer after a couple scares.

baglo
Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I towed my 91S13 with a truck rated for 2,000 lbs. The egg weighed 1,700 lbs and once I had brakes it was all fine.

Be sure to at least put on an auxiliary transmission cooler and consider a transmission temperature gauge to head off damage.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote