What can I carry into Canada? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
It's so much easier to answer the border guard's question, "What fresh produce and meats do you have with you?" with "none" than to make a list, and hope you've not forgotten something.
Each state/country/province/territory has its own local economy to protect, and with all the international "hitch hikers" that hide in food and firewood (and tire treads, and hiking boots, etc...), we can all easily see why restrictions are in place.

Besides, it's fun to explore new local foods, restaurants, and yes! beers, too!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Quote:
Larry Lecuyer said "The high tourist season and most expensive, starts in early September"

What!? Where did you travel in Canada?

Larry Lecuyer said "You will experience a major language barrier"

That only occurs in one province, Quebec. The original poster said they were traveling west. There will be less of a language barrier going to western Canada then there would for them to go to the deep south of the US.

And our gas and food might be a bit more expensive, but our beer is better!
Yes, and so is our health care, poverty rate, and crime statistics.

And, regarding money, Can I use my Canadian money in the U.S.? For sure, no.
But I can get American money from American ATMs; and Canadian money from Canadian ATMs. Right now the exchange rate favours American money - that is, if I want $100 American, I have to pay about $105 Canadian for it at my bank; but that rate changes daily, as it does on both sides of the border. I also find travellers cheques to be a good way to carry money without carrying cash.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
The wife and I jumped through a lot of hoops to get a Nexus pass. This lets us use an express lane at certain border crossings and airport customs line-ups for travel between Canada and the US. There are a number of restrictions to the use of this pass. If coming into Canada by air, you cannot use the pass if you are carrying any beans or products made from beans. So, if you were in Hawaii and bought a pouch of Kona coffee, you have to get in the long line.

Still, I recommend the Nexus pass if you are going to cross the border two or more times a year. When we have crossed with our trailer at a crossing with a Nexus lane, we have typically saved an hour of waiting. Southbound we have always been asked about fresh foods and dog food. Northbound, we have always been waved through. Southbound without a Nexus lane, the interview is much much faster than with just a passport.

For Canadians: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html
For Americans: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #24

Trailer: 73 Boler
We use ATMs wherever we travel be it in the USA Canada England or Scotland it is a lot easier than carrying cash in large amounts.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
So if I bring my favorite Amaretto-flavored coffee beans, I am in trouble?

How about my favorite chocolate soda in cans? Snapple or is that available in Canada?

CindyL
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

How about my favorite chocolate soda in cans? Snapple or is that available in Canada?

CindyL
Yes I have seen Snapple in our stores. I don't know about coffee beans. LOL
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Quote:

You can bring coffee in. It is no problem at all. But you can't bring it in by air and use a Nexus pass to dodge the lineup.

You do see Snapple here, but I can't recall details.

I live 1.2 miles north of the USA, and the new trailer makes the US a more appealing destination than it has been since 9-11. But I try to be foodless when I cross the line. It just saves hassle. The exceptions are spices and condiments, and the Canadian breakfast cereal, Shreddies.

When I was a kid, crossing the line was a lark. Now it is a serious hassle, and I always take steps to cross as infrequently and simply as possible.

Last time I checked, big no-nos southbound into Washington were apples and some potatoes. Dog food has to be factory-sealed and a product of the USA.

First stop on the USA side is always an ATM. Second stop is the food store. I make almost all purchases on my credit card. Very convenient, but the exchange rate is not very good.

I am not a fan of travellers cheques. Most store clerks have never heard of them. I never saw one or would have known what to do with one when I was a gas jockey 20 years ago - and they are even less common nowadays. KarenH - What is your experience?
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Hi Ron - yes, you're right about travellers cheques. I have always had them accepted, but sometimes it takes a talk with the manager of the store. In case of serious question, I could go to a bank and cash them, but haven't had to do that.
I just don't want to carry large amounts of cash, anywhere!!
How about debit machines in stores - are those big in U.S.?

Quote:
You can bring coffee in. It is no problem at all. But you can't bring it in by air and use a Nexus pass to dodge the lineup.

You do see Snapple here, but I can't recall details.

I live 1.2 miles north of the USA, and the new trailer makes the US a more appealing destination than it has been since 9-11. But I try to be foodless when I cross the line. It just saves hassle. The exceptions are spices and condiments, and the Canadian breakfast cereal, Shreddies.

When I was a kid, crossing the line was a lark. Now it is a serious hassle, and I always take steps to cross as infrequently and simply as possible.

Last time I checked, big no-nos southbound into Washington were apples and some potatoes. Dog food has to be factory-sealed and a product of the USA.

First stop on the USA side is always an ATM. Second stop is the food store. I make almost all purchases on my credit card. Very convenient, but the exchange rate is not very good.

I am not a fan of travellers cheques. Most store clerks have never heard of them. I never saw one or would have known what to do with one when I was a gas jockey 20 years ago - and they are even less common nowadays. KarenH - What is your experience?
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hi Ron - yes, you're right about travellers cheques. I have always had them accepted, but sometimes it takes a talk with the manager of the store. In case of serious question, I could go to a bank and cash them, but haven't had to do that.
I just don't want to carry large amounts of cash, anywhere!!
How about debit machines in stores - are those big in U.S.?
Hi,
Just to let you know almost all of our stores in the US have debit/credit machines. I would just call the bank or institution that issued your card about it's use in the US before you leave home. Your bank can also alert you to the different fees that are involved in US transactions. I travel in Canada quite often and have had some credit/debit cards not accepted at certain machines from SK to BC. You will find debit//credit machines in stores from grocery items to going to a mall to shop. The most easy to use was a regular VISA type card that was accepted everywhere from SK to BC. The conversion rate is just shown on your statement and it was very easy to use.
As far as travelers cheques, it would be very hard to find someone to accept one because of the problems with fraud these days, a few years ago that would have been the safe way to go, but not now. You are better off with a VISA/DEBIT card or by getting cash out of a ATM with your credit cards.
Have a good trip.
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
DO not take any firewood! Not even a single stick of it! It almost cost me $400 for missing a single piece which fell out of the box when I was removing it before heading into Canada.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What do people do who must commute across the border for work, customs every day? can't carry lunch?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #32

The Alcan Road starts in Canada, When you enter Alaska if going north or enter Canada going South you will need proper pass port requirements.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The Alcan Road starts in Canada, When you enter Alaska if going north or enter Canada going South you will need proper pass port requirements.
Sorry about the edit, I just looked it up, Thanks
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Sorry about the edit, I just looked it up, Thanks
No Problem.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #35

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We tried to leave our children at the Canadian border but they wouldn't keep them.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We went camping in a couple provincial parks in Canada last summer and brought our own food. They did ask at customs if we had alcohol. We happened to have a partial case of Labatt's, which they didn't seem to have a problem with.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #37

Trailer: Casita
I crossed the border twice, both in Montana (went into Waterton, then into Banff), and had no problems. This was a couple of weeks ago (July/Aug. 2010). They asked if I had any fruit, where I was going and for how long, and that was about it. When I came back the first time they asked if I had purchased anything, I said a few books, they waved me on through, the second time they didn't even ask. I also had dogs with me and the first time they wanted to see their rabies certificates, the second time he didn't ask for anything. These were not the same people, so they didn't remember me, different crossings. It was very easy going both into and out of the U.S. They didn't ask for my driver's license, just my passport, nor car registration or proof of insurance. My SUV was packed to the gills with camping gear and I had a roof carrier and maybe it looked too intimidating to search me, but they were opening the back doors of other vehicles, etc. Maybe my dogs look like trouble, LOL.

I used U.S. money and had no problems, but the exchange rate was 1 to 1. Funny, as the Canadian money I brought back isn't accepted by anyone here.
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote