What can I carry into Canada? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Headed toward Michigan, The UP, and then on into Canada to make our way West. Have done much research on the net as to what is allowed. I know these things. Leave the gun at home. Can have 1.5 ltrs. of wine. Get rid of the pepper spray we keep by the door of the Casita, and a few other things. The thing I can't seem to find is information about food. What are we allowed to take across. Do I have to clean out my freezer of steak, chicken, chops, etc.? Does everything have to be in store packaging, or can I have a couple of steaks which were slced off a whole ribeye and packaged in ziploc bags? It seems fresh fruit and vegatables are no-no's also. Hopefully, you get the picture. Looking for any and all information you think would be applicable.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Headed toward Michigan, The UP, and then on into Canada to make our way West. Have done much research on the net as to what is allowed. I know these things. Leave the gun at home. Can have 1.5 ltrs. of wine. Get rid of the pepper spray we keep by the door of the Casita, and a few other things. The thing I can't seem to find is information about food. What are we allowed to take across. Do I have to clean out my freezer of steak, chicken, chops, etc.? Does everything have to be in store packaging, or can I have a couple of steaks which were slced off a whole ribeye and packaged in ziploc bags? It seems fresh fruit and vegatables are no-no's also. Hopefully, you get the picture. Looking for any and all information you think would be applicable.
Wow, that's almost as bad as going to California!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
When I was frequently traveling up to the Maritimes to visit realatives, the rule of thumb was that you could bring what could be consumed in a reasonable length of time. That said, the folks from St, Stephen, NB use the Walmart in Calais, ME for grocery shopping all the time. I usually see as many NB cars as those from MAINE.
Some of our neighbors to the North will probably chime in if there are any specific restrictions.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
... That said, the folks from St, Stephen, NB use the Walmart in Calais, ME for grocery shopping all the time. I usually see as many NB cars as those from MAINE.
I would guess that there are different rules for Canadians going through Canadian Customs than there are for Americans going through Canadian Customs.
BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The rules for what you can bring into Canada while camping are here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/new-neuf/adviso...-05-13-eng.html

Food is one of those items that changes daily, be prepared to have something on the list be confiscated.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Jerry/Wanda: I have attached a Canadian Customs web site. You can explore and locate information for your trip.

I just returned from an 18 day visit to Eastern Canada. I toured the Gaspe Peninsula area. I entered Canada through the Detroit area and into Windsor. I re-entered the USA through Port Huron, Michigan. The Canadian Customs officers did not inquire as to what I was carrying in my RV. They only ask what my purpose was in entering Canada and how long I intended to stay. The US Customs officers were more inquisitive. They cautioned me not to enter the USA with either goat or lamb meats and any form of fruits/vegetables. They will confiscate the items. The US Customs checks the majority of RV's inside and will conduct a search of the refrigerator and storage areas. I observed them remove meats from an RV to my front at the Port Huron crossing. In regards to pets, the Canadian Customs never inquired about pets. We had two Siamese cats inside our tow vehicle. The US Customs will make inquiries into animals and you will need the appropriate vaccination papers, etc. You are fore warned by me NOT to challenge the customs officers or make any jokes, etc. They take their job VERY seriously and will search your entire vehicle and can make your contact a very unpleasant one. Good time not to joke with them. In regards to Canada, they have very expensive food, fuel prices. Their taxation is 16%. In June, I paid a high of $4.04 (USD) for a gallon of diesel. They sell by the litre. The camp grounds have three levels of "tourist seasons". Early, mid and high. Each level gets progressively expensive for the same camp grounds. They are currently in their mid level tourist season. The high tourist season and most expensive, starts in early September. In summary, I found Canada to be very expensive and was glad to depart into the USA. It is a beautiful country and people are very cordial. You will experience a major language barrier. BUT, generally someone can be located in a store, etc. to interpret. Roads are better than the USA. Montreal area interstate is under going major road construction and this will be an area to travel on weekends. The roads are all torn up and you will have to drive slow. You will experience the currency fluctuations. I experienced a few gas stations that attempted to convert my $50.00 USA currency to $45.00 Canadian. I got taken once and the second time I read the riot act to the clerk. Credit cards issued in the USA will incur a foreign transaction fee from your card company. BUT, I found that my two separate diesel fuel purchase via credit card, were billed with a foreign transaction fee and totalled LESS than my actual Canadian purchase. This results from the USA credit card company converting the Canadian charge to the existing currency in the USA. I could write a book about my trip. But, I am through, unless you post specific questions.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Don't leave your coat at home! When we visited Toronto a few years ago (in June), I thought we'd freeze!

But then again, we think that anything below 70F is bitterly cold, (I guess we've lived in Florida too long).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
The rules for what you can bring into Canada while camping are here:

Food is one of those items that changes daily, be prepared to have something on the list be confiscated.
Why does that not surprise me. Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 88 Cadet
As long as the food does not fall under narcotic or alcohol you'll have no issues crossing at land border crossings. There are restrictions for PEI and NF to ensure nasty things don't get moved over to an island. As well, you may be restricted on any firewood due to pine bugs etc.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I'm not sure about Mounties, but don't try to bring any doughnuts back across to the U.S.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We are at war over apples and broccoli. At least that's what I heard. From the Canadian side we are feuding over lamb and goat with the U.S.
We had our trailer searched at Pt. Huron because of one orange and a bag of apples, all stickered produce of the U.S.A. I think the USFDA told the officer where to go and how to get there as he wasn't a happy copper!!!
After all that they left the fruit with us but they didn't make the bed again.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
They are concerned about raw potatoes, they are trying to prevent the spread of some nasty diseases. And honey.

As much as we want to make fun of this. Stop and think of some of the things that have to deal with due to carelessness. Zebra muscles in the great lakes. "Flying" Carp in the Mississipi. Who knows what is killing off all the bees needed to pollinate the crops.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make it easy on yourself, buy and consume everything you need on the side of the border you're on. We have at least one member on FiberglassRV that was stopped at the border, their trailer searched and held for hours over a couple of pieces of cooked sausage! They are now forever on the list to be searched every single time they cross the border, which is fairly regularly. It's just not worth it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #14

When I was in the USA last winter, I took nothing food wise. I stopped at first wallmart and then got what we needed. One thing to be aware of is make sure your perscription drugs are in original containers and not your pill box.
When we left the USA after 3 months we dumped all fresh foods. EG Meat fruits etc. We just keeped coffee tea suger type of stuff.
We had no problems.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/plannin...rder/border.htm
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Larry Lecuyer said "The high tourist season and most expensive, starts in early September"

What!? Where did you travel in Canada?

Larry Lecuyer said "You will experience a major language barrier"

That only occurs in one province, Quebec. The original poster said they were traveling west. There will be less of a language barrier going to western Canada then there would for them to go to the deep south of the US.

And our gas and food might be a bit more expensive, but our beer is better!
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #16

I have been PMed about a few misconceptions. There is no where in Canada with a 16% Sales Tax, How ever i will state that there are a few Provinces with Sales Tax at the 15% level. Where I live its 5%.

In Canada there are two official languages. One is French and the other Is English. In Western Canada you do not hear much French being spoken as It is mainly used in Quebec and a few other spots in Eastern Canada.

When I go to another Country I exchange my Money at my home bank and get that rate for that day. When I use a Credit Card , It comes in as a International transaction and I pay the rate for that particular day. When you try to exchange your USD at a Canadian store you will be charged for it. Nothing comes free. Rates change min by min so stores have to be carefull. I found if i got taken it was my own dumb self for not doing the right thing in the first place. No matter where you are just be aware of the customs of that Country your in.

Campgrounds are some what similar to hotels. They have High and Low seasons. I found this to be true in the USA also. Our cost for some items cost more and fuel is one of them. The price for fuel can vary all over Canada.

I would like to think of myself as an Ambassador of Canada when I visit a Foreign Country, and would never consider reading the riot act to a store clerk. They are just doing there job.

Come to Canada and enjoy what we have to offer.

Happy Trails
Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
One suggestion I thought I read somewhere was to use the ATM on the Canadian side to receive money in Canadian denominations. The site said this made buying things easier. Do you agree?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #18

I have heard the same thing. When I was in the USA, I never even tried to use it while there. Next time down I will try it. If it works that would save on carrying too much cash.

Using money from the country you are in saves a lot of problems.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
When I was in Mexico I used ATMs for Mexican money. Worked very well - should do the same in Canada.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 76 Boler
I'll be doing the reverse trip, travelling from Edmonton, Alberta through the USA coming up back into Sarna/ London with the Boler. We are not bringing any food stuff crossing and will buy small amounts of what we need when we find a grocery store. The one thing with crossing the border, is never bring fruits, veggies, milks, cheeses or meat.
That way you avoid all and any hassles at least with the food issues.
And on the "major language barrier", no language barriers here in Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, etc......maybe Newfoundland but Quebec is the only one, you would have a language issue with.

Quote:
Larry Lecuyer said "The high tourist season and most expensive, starts in early September"

What!? Where did you travel in Canada?

Larry Lecuyer said "You will experience a major language barrier"

That only occurs in one province, Quebec. The original poster said they were traveling west. There will be less of a language barrier going to western Canada then there would for them to go to the deep south of the US.

And our gas and food might be a bit more expensive, but our beer is better!
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote