What changes would you want in Scamp's newest models? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Out the fires, the Phoenix. Maybe that should be the name for a new model, once Scamp rebuilds its factory and starts anew. I'm quite happy with my 20-year-old Scamp 16, so there's little I would change. But this is the ideal opportunity for any basic or detail changes to be considered, isn't it? Let's save the company's market research budget and volunteer our own ideas.

I've already seen that beginning, with some talk about replacing the curved door with a straight, Casita-style one. Call me a traditionalist on that one. Yes, I know, I have a 1/4-inch gap at the bottom of mine, too, but that's easy to weather seal. And how tight do you want a trailer to be? Usually you're in nice weather or you're running a heater, when ventilation is demanded. The curved door completes the retro/futuro/aero motif of these trailers, and effectively adds headroom, too. A straight door wouldn't be the same, IMHO.

There is one change I'd enjoy. If I lived within a days' drive of the factory, I might have had them do it already. I'm finding a 48" bed is just too narrow for two not-so-narrow sleepers. I'd get by with a little less countertop, though. So by narrowing the cabinets by 6-10 inches and giving that space to the bed/dinette, I'd be happier. This change would be much simpler than adding overall length to the 16', and if they did that, the added weight would put it out of my league anyway.

What other ideas do you have to offer?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 AM   #2

Trailer:
My suggestion is for everyone to say how much they like the existing Scamp layouts and how they don't want to see any changes. Scamp want to get back into production as soon as possible and making new moulds from existing trailer parts is the quickest way to do that - it still leaves a lot of work to do, but anything else needs more.

To make new designs would add, I would estimate, two months to the time needed before production can restart and that is assuming the new design was ready right now. That's two months when presumably most of the folks that work at Scamp don't get paid.....

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
John, they've already done that, at least in the deluxe models. The bed in my '02 is 54" wide... and the stove hangs over the bed a few inches. And I'm with Andrew. The current designs are what makes Scamp a Scamp. There are really only so many variations on a theme that you can do in 16' single shell design, and Scamp has pretty well covered them over the years, and IMHO, they do it very well. I'm impressed with the fit and finish of my '02. The layout is perfect for me, and the amenities are just right. Other than start out with a new design "box" I don't know what else they could do differently. Even the "new design box" trailers (Escape, for example) don't have anything revolutionary in floorplan or features. There are only so many ways to orient a couch, dinette, bath, & kitchen... ah... I forgot ONE thing... they COULD use a different awning!

I wish them all the best at Backus and hope that their reconstruction goes as quickly as they hope, with a minimum of problems.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
RE: replacing the curved door with a straight, Casita-style one

Isn't it (still) only the 17 ft. Casitas that have the straight door? Don't the 13s and 16s (still) have curved, aircraft-style doors?

Anybody bought a Casita lately? (I know, I know. To answer that one, we really should start a new topic.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I ditto what Andrew and others have said about no changes. The main thing is to get going again; not worry about redesign. GO SCAMP! You have a great product and a great company!

Mary, I agree with you. I do believe the 13/16 footers still have the curved doors. I do know that the hinges are different on the Casita and I wonder if that has helped in keeping the door in shape. My '89 had a slight gap at the bottom when I bought it, but the gasket was just worn out.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Double axle on the 5th wheel ala Merle Lilly. Those of us that saw his setup at the Oregon Gathering last year were mighty impressed. Merle tugged the 5th wheel before and after adding the second axle and he described the difference in towing as tremendous.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
But this is the ideal opportunity for any basic or detail changes to be considered, isn't it?

What other ideas do you have to offer?
I seem to remember that the original genesis of the Casita brand was a split in the Eveland family (or maybe an employee?) who wanted to make design changes?

My suggestion might be a new 5th-wheel design to complement the one based on the 16 footer. [b]How about a 13 foot base for a 5th-wheel?

Why did they choose the 16' model to extend to a 5th-wheel?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Why did they choose the 16' model to extend to a 5th-wheel?
I would think the reasoning behind the 16 footer to 5th wheel has to do with amenities and space. Typically those who are looking to own a 5th wheel want a larger trailer all the way around. More cabinets, larger bathroom, etc. Pretty hard to get all that when starting with a 13 footer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
The one modification that I would make, is a new scamp model with a 13' trailer in front, and a deck behind to haul motorcyles or atv's.
see link to something similar: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWA%3APIC

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_W_Patio.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1043
drew l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Maybe they could re-tool this time to include an 18 footer at a 13 footer price!?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I can only comment on the 13 ft style....... Bigger dinette/bed. Whack the mold in "half" and add 8 to 12". Other than that I can't think of anything else.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have a simple change. The table needs to be narrower in the front so us not so skinny people can slide in to those dinette seats. I was shocked that I could not fit.
I may as well make a bed out of that table area even though I really want a table there.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Have you actually ever been inside one of those goofy 1/2 trailers 1/2 outside toy haulers? You have to go outside to change your mind!

I think a 5th wheel "13" would be great. Us "Non Family" types would like a little more room options without going to the bigger trailers.

A bed right behind and over the gaucho is a great way to keep all the charm of a 13 without the pain of setting up a bed everynite.

sigh.. guess I will just have to save my pennies for the BIGFOOT 17!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
One word: dual-slideouts!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Combine the 13 foot exterior with a 16 foot interior...a guaranteed winner!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Combine the 13 foot exterior with a 16 foot interior...a guaranteed winner!
Did you just see the latest Harry Potter movie; the tent camping scene?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
I feel very lucky that we decided to buy our 02 5th wheel. We payed not much less than new . It is worth it. Changes I would see is at least raise the trailer and use 14" wheels as a standard. There would be less blow outs at 70mph. for the 5th wheel I would add a 2nd battery. I really love the curved door but would change the lock set . I really love my Egg
Taylor the Sailor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I feel very lucky that we decided to buy our 02 5th wheel. We payed not much less than new . It is worth it. Changes I would see is at least raise the trailer and use 14" wheels as a standard. There would be less blow outs at 70mph. for the 5th wheel I would add a 2nd battery. I really love the curved door but would change the lock set . I really love my Egg
Taylor the Sailor
You do 70 towing Egg Salad Annie? Holy Cow Taylor, does Linda drive that fast too?

I think they just need to have some good old fashioned "quality control." IE: Check every rivet, seal, seam, and joint in the place. Nuts, bolts, and anything else used to attach anything, to the Scamp! Our Scamp had a gap inside, where the bench joined the wall. And the original owners had to reattach the molding around the "privacy room door," because it fell off one day. Maybe they could include a rain tunnel test... for finding leaks too! Other than these minor annoyances, that Scamp, was a nice trailer! But what do I know, Renee sold it.
Elsie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp