What did you learn by this hacking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally posted by Jeanne and Steve@Nov 16 2005, 11:53 AM
Pat and Arleen raise an issue re. computer security that's especially compelling right now. After this site was hijacked, we immediately went out and bought and installed an anti-spyware program, and use an anti-virus program that we keep up to date, but is this enough? I'm sure lots of us wonder what the computer experts among us would recommend to help us keep our computers safe.
There's three programs I run on my home computer beside anti-virus and fire wall.

Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. There are free versions of both. Strange as it may seem, Mircosoft recommends them or at least did a year ago.

Ad-Aware and SpyBot require updating and running every so often. You'll be amazed at how much stuff there is. I run about once a week and find lots of stuff.

At home I also WinPatrol. This one monitors the stuff running and checks what running everytime you reboot your computer. I just put it on so I don't know a whole lot about it yet. It's supposed to stop or at least let you know about stuff like the thing Sony is/was doing.

Hope this helps a bit.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Who do we address things to that we might want restored?

Some years back we did a mod to our Boler where we took out the bunks and added a two-person dinette that many have written asking details on how we did that. We have pictures around here and I'd be happy to send them along again to rebuild the site.

I just want to add my voice to those who trash an idiot who would do harm to such a nice group of people as those who populate this site. Let's hope there is a special thermostat in Hell for that clown! May he be granted 75 virgins in the after life but, before he can partake, he must face the members of fiberglassrv.com, all armed with knives for 15 minutes.

Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Ken, just go to the appropriate forum and start a new topic. As you know, you can only put in one picture per thread (or reply), but make as many as you need to get your information back up.

And thanks!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
Name: Darrel
Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Are all the old posts gone? All the good references and histories "POOF". So many great updates by everyone.

I tried to review my old posts to start adding some new updates after a year of life challenges.

I did not save the information of my "framless restoration" digitally but have a written history which could be reposted if it would be of interest or helpful.

Thank you Michael and everyone for all your great help.

Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:34 AM   #19
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Thanks for the information re. computer security Byron. I'm not familiar with WinPatrol, but now I'll investigate and learn more about it - it might be a nice compliment to the programs we already have on our computer. I appreciate your advice!

Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote