what do you always keep in your egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
what do you always keep in your egg?

ok,,,in addition to plates ,silverware, blankets, towels, what perminently resides in your unit?

i'm thinking rainwear for each of us should stay in the closet, so it will be there when we need it. waterproof shoes of some sort for those early morning trips acrossed wet grass. a game or two,,,checkers,yahtsee, what ever for those times you are stuck at camp with nothing to do. and a fishing rod and tackle for each,cause you never know when you might want to wet a line.
and of course a first aid kit. complete with a bottle of whiskey in case of snake bite,,,,and a box of snakes in case you can't find any to bite you.
what items do you keep in your trailer at all times,,,that you actualy use mind you.
not talking hoses and extension cords. stuff you carry because you always forget to pack it kind of stuff
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The more room U have, the more Stuff you take.

There is always a WallyWorld close by to get those items you really need then keep them in the egg.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Darwin

Darwin's theory is correct. "Stuff fills the space aavailable."

How many towels, how much silverwear, how many pots and pans..... all count...

Remember we're on the road for 3 months. The following is a mental inventory. It sounds like a lot, but when you comeinto our trailer you don't see much around or out except the computers, a bottle of water and a couple of pieces of fruit...everything else is away int heir place.

We bring two bathtowels and two beach towels (in car). 3 pots and 3 frying pans, 1 slow cooker. limited silverwear and knifes. 2 Kitchen towels. 2 hand towels, 1 apron, collapsaible strainer. most large utensiles on back of closet door.

We carry limited clothes, a lot of sweaters/pullovers, into layering, shirts, jerseys about half long and short sleeved. 3 pairs of jeans and 5 pairs of shorts and 1-2 low level dress outfits. a week and a half of underwear and socks. 2 Pairs of shoes - 1 multipurpose Keen type and a pair of sneakers. I can wear the Keens to church or rock climbing. Ginny has also has a pair of dress flats.

Rain jackets in car where they're most used hiking only brought in trailer on rainy days, hooks by door. 1 Sweater and 1 pull overs in car as well.

Coffee pot and toaster.

Computers, and computer hot spot, 15"TV and sat receiver. (sat dish in tow car), a nook reader and a couple of bird and tree books.

4 plastic glasses, 2 wine glasses, 4 coffee cups, 4 plastic dishes. 4 sm plastic dishes, 2 large plastic dishes, 2 plastic med bowls, 2 small plastic bows, 2 very small pyrex bowsl, 1 large glass bowl, 1.5 qt corning ware dish with cover - 2 glass desert dishes and 2 dinner size glass pasta bowls.

Hair dryer, clothes washing soap, misc bathroom stuff.

Bedding 2 sets of sheets, 1 quilt, 1 twin electric blanket, 1 reg blanket, 2 individual throws, three pillows. 1.5" thick memory foam mattress cover.

1 electric heater, 1 electric fan. under dinette bench.

2 water hoses, water filter, water pressure regulator, 1 25' 30 amp extension cord, 1 50' 20 amp extension cord, 6 assorted wooden blocks, 1 small tool box with a few essentials like screw drivers, wire strippers amd electrical tape. All this rear bumper box. 1 Sewer hose on front and one under bumper box.

2 shoe box size tool boxes for rarely used stuff behind two plastic clothes bins under center of couch.

small rv compressor, bottle jack, jump starter, lug wrench, back pack, walking sticks and 4 chairs and a small outside table in rear of tow vehicle and a fluids bin container.

We don't carry a camera, use our smart phone.

We carry a hand held floor sweeper.

We have a bread drawer, an onion bin, a soda storage bin, and a case of water typically on the back seat of the car. as well we have three slide out pantry shelves for food stuffs and two closet shelves for food storage.

Hope this helps

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I do keep a couple of emergency rain ponchos, not much larger than a handkerchief, from a dollar store. They'll tuck into just about any little spot in the trailer. There's a utility cupboard under a seat that keeps cords, hoses, chocks and jacks. The booze never seems to last past the last campsite. Canned goods and liquids are removed due to the freezing temperatures here in winter. As well we remove bedding to eliminate the chance of mildew. Kitchen utensils and dishes of course stay in the trailer and there are a few towells and a deck of cards in there somewhere.
Loading up in the spring isn't hard. The tote box of canned goods along with fresh milk and meats for about three to four days and were ready to travell. We have a bag of needs for the dog that we keep stocked in the basement. Camp chairs, stoves, and outdoor tables etc. are conveniently located on some shelves in the garage and they load quickly into the trailer or the back of the tug. Last years propane bottle probably got used up on the BBQ during the winter so I do have to have them checked and refilled. Lastly, flush out the water tank and were ready to travell. I can probably do it all in a day but will usually go over things twenty times before the first spring trip. Isn't that part of the fun?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have minimal cooking/eating stuff, a 2 burner propane stove, a propane (portable) grill, and a 5 lb propane bottle, the last three in the truck. Rain jackets, fleece jackets, windbreaker parkas, clothing for 8 days which means we do laundry once a week, shower shoes,bath towels, dish towels, extra blanket, and a catalytic heater since our Egg Camper is all electric. Other stuff that I can't remember because the Egg C. is in Michigan and we're in Arizona.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We keep a lot of things in Rubbermaid bins. Before we go camping we can just throw the bins into the back of the truck or under the bed in the camper. We keep very few things in the camper itself - mainly cooking and dining equipment.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i have a tradition in the spring that i always did with my teardrop, and will probably do with my scamp too.

i have a "camp in" meaning i spend a weekend getting things ready for the season, and camp in the trailer right in my driveway to see if every thing i need is there, and remove everything i don't need. with the little teardrop its very important to not carry things you don't use. with a big camper,,,,like the scamp 13, lol , i wiil have to be carefull to remember to not load it with things like that.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... A deck of playing cards and a game rule book. Keeps the mice occupied& honest, during those long winters nights... according to Hoyle!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
honda03842: You have it down to a science. You two should consider writing a book on rving in the small. Probably too busy though. I know that from experience, it so hard and takes so much trial and error to finally get set-up in a unit. I bet if you stacked all of those items in pile in front of the trailer and told people you carried all of that in the tiny trailer that they would find it hard to believe.

This is a very good thread with all of the responses one can "custom" fit.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

Florida
Cathy, We are basically year round campers and keep most items in the trailer. As well like John, we moved into our RV in the front yard for a while to make sure we have what we need. We also have the rule if we don't have it buy it. There's always something to forget or new to need.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I keep everything in my trailer year around, except food, toiletries and clothing (including towels and linens). Those items are packed each trip. There's things in my trailer that I haven't used for a couple of years, but they stay... like playing cards. I got tired of schlepping items from the house to trailer and back. BAH. Buy dishes, silverware, whatever second hand and be done with it. At least by having my trailer 99% packed all the time, if I had to bug out quickly it could be done in short order.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #12

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We keep most of what folks listed above except for the box of snakes (which Dave is adding to his list) - thanks for the heads up John!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
You guys use real dishes and flatware when camping? I guess I'm bad, I use paper plates, cups, plasticware. Don't like doing dishes when camping. Keep cutting board, knives, kitchen items in trailer all the time. But I pull out the cushions, clothing, anything like that between trips otherwise stuff gets musty.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
In the camper, we bring plenty of clothes, towels, wash towels, and dish towels (usually enough for a week). We used to pack dishes etc., but like ThomasE, we now brings paper plates, paper bowels, plastic "solo cups", and plastic utensils. We do pack a few real knives and forks just in case. A few rolls of tp and paper towels. A pot,electric griddle, propone grill and 2 small bottles of lp, 4 small nesting glass bowls w/lids. Portable xm radio, portable radio, small portable fan, first aid kit, disposable gloves, playing cards, some dvd's, magazines. Dog leashes, bowls,toys, food . Life preservers (2 people 2 dog), fishing poles (have never used them), umbrella, inflatable boat, air mat. Very little food, but lots of soda and water.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #15

Florida
Paper Plates

We do carry paper plates but only use them when tryine to conserve gray tank space. Generally we use plastic glasses, plates and bowls, both light and unbreakable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool My list

Trailer Contents Inventory:
1. Convection/Microwave Oven
2. 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
3. 13” Toshiba analog TV/VCR combo, 1 Digital TV converter
4. VHS tape storage case (to be filled from home library)
5. 300 watt inverter (12 volt DC to 120 volt AC)
6. 1 King size goose down Comforter
7. 1 King size blanket
8. 2 King size Duvets
9. 2 complete King Size sheet/pillowcase sets, (600 thread count)
10. 4 King size Bed Pillows
11. 24” Teddy Bear
12. 1 woven vinyl patio mat (9’ x 12’)
13. 2 beach towels
14. 2 complete (bath & hand) towel & washcloth sets
15. 1 alarm clock (for medicine schedule)
16. Toiletries, toilet brush, cleaning supplies
17. Kitchen oven mitt / pot holder / dishtowel set
18. Complete measuring cup & spoon set
19. Melamine dish service for 4 (plates, bowls, cups & saucers)
20. Stainless flatware service for 8
21. Corning 9 cup stove-top coffee percolator
22. Coleman 10 cup stove-top drip-brew coffeemaker
23. 4 commuter lidded coffee mugs
24. Battery operated hand mixer
25. 1 large covered deep dish frying pan
26. 1 small covered saucepan
27. 2 sink cover/cutting boards
28. 2 baking pans & 1 broiler pan (For 3 burner stove with oven)
29. Several covered Tupperware bowls
30. 4 Tupperware compartmented food trays
31. 4 Tupperware Drinking Glasses, 2 12 oz. and 2 6 oz.
32. Assorted utensils: spatulas, large knives, openers, corkscrews, etc.
33. Tupperware canisters of coffee, sugar, & powdered non-dairy creamer
34. Box of assorted cooking spices
35. 1 Bottle of extra virgin olive oil
36. 2 butane lighters, 1 butane refill canister
37. Can of Cooking Spray
38. paper towels, box of Kleenex, extra toilet paper
39. Large mesh bag for dirty clothes
40. 2 fleece sweaters
41. “Ceramic” Cube electric heater
42. small portable electric fan
43. Broom, brush, & dustpan
44. 12 Volt Coleman Camping Lantern
45. 50’ yellow extension cord on reel holder
46. 1 each: 10’, 25’, & 50’ white water hose (potable use)
47. 1 each 25’ gray water hose (non-potable use)
48. 20’ red sewer hose with connectors and end caps
49. Telescoping support stand for sewer hose
50. Disposable plastic gloves (bag of 50)
51. 100’ 75-ohm TV cable
52. Assorted electrical adapters
53. 5 gallon “Port-A-Way’st” gray water tote
54. 12 volt yellow spotlight
55. 12 volt air pump
56. collection of books about travel trailers (most by Douglas Keister)
57. several decks of cards (Poker, Canasta, Uno)
58. 1 Cribbage board
59. 1 Wooden Pink Flamingo whirligig
60. 2 plastic Lawn Pink Flamingos
61. 2 sets awning patio lights with dedicated extension cord
62. Fire Extinguisher, mounted to side of refrigerator cabinet.

Towing and “other” stuff kept in trailer:
1. 2 sets of 10 each “Lego” style leveling blocks
2. 4 stabilizing jacks
3. 2 “Locking” scissors tire chocks for dual axles
4. 1 hydraulic jack with handle
5. Weight Distributing Hitch spring arms & Ball Mount
6. Friction Anti-Sway Bar
7. Extension mirrors for tow vehicle
8. 4 Tire covers
9. “Master Lock” hitch lock set with case

Standing by for quick addition:
1. 45 watt solar panels in carrying case
2. Portable group 27 Battery
3. 10’ x 10’ EZ-up Screen shelter
4. 2 Folding Chairs
5. 2 Folding Bicycles
6. 2 Folding Tables
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
Snakes, we don't need no stinking snakes...........

We too use most of the items in this article in our Scamp 5er, however I believe Country Singer Toby Keith said it all in his new hit single!

MY RED SOLO CUP................I fill you up, let's have a party!

You just can't have enough of those red solo cups!
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
FIRE EXTINGUISHER, but always mount, dont leave loose to roll around and ACCIDENTLY go off. I speakith from experience.....not fun to clean up. Shame on anyone who takes plastic plates/utensils.....bad for the ecology. We keep two sets of clothes, winter & summer in our rig as we keep her in storage. Baby wipes are great for bath/personal hygiene if boondocking. Broke too many plastic knives and forks cutting into meat.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cotrill View Post
Snakes, we don't need no stinking snakes...........

We too use most of the items in this article in our Scamp 5er, however I believe Country Singer Toby Keith said it all in his new hit single!

MY RED SOLO CUP................I fill you up, let's have a party!

You just can't have enough of those red solo cups!
One of my favorite cd's...not a bad song on it. Yep! Love those red solo cups.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #20

Fred is the Master RV man. Anyone just starting out should keep an eye out for Fred's posts. We all feel most blessed that he is in our camping community. He has provided so much knowledge for us all.