What do you do when you return from a trip? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
What do you do when you return from a trip?

Many people say that they really like having a camper because it is always setup for travel.

When I get home I strip Mouse of everything that moves! Then I clean her completely. Then I do any projects/repairs that I want and clean her again.

What do you do between trips?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Pay Bills.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
When I get home, I unhitch, take out the dirty laundry, remove foodstuffs.

Cleaning and etc waits until "just before" the next trip

After spending a couple (or a few) days & nights in it - want nothing to do with it for a while
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I wipe counters, etc down before I leave the park and make sure all my dishes are washed and put in the cupboards. When I get home, all the food, and anythign needing washing (clothes, towels, etc) goes into the house. Porta potty gets emptied, and rinsed out to sit by the trailer and dry. Its a fairly painless process for me.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
After spending a couple (or a few) days & nights in it - want nothing to do with it for a while.
I admire people who spend more than a couple weeks in a 10x6 foot fiberglass egg!

I really like camping in Mouse, but in a trailer this size it is camping not living and I am really happy to be home!

That said, I am looking forward to going out again next week for a few nights on the California coast!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Empty frig.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I set it up in "camp driveway" and spend time in it here ! It's where I'm sitting right now.....just me and the dog and cable TV and wireless internet !

Actually, I do pretty much go over it with a fine tooth comb and attend to anything that needs attention, and of course a full on cleaning, inside and out. But then I love to tinker with things, so it's another hobby to keep me off the streets and out of trouble.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I wipe counters, etc down before I leave the park and make sure all my dishes are washed and put in the cupboards. When I get home, all the food, and anythign needing washing (clothes, towels, etc) goes into the house. Porta potty gets emptied, and rinsed out to sit by the trailer and dry. Its a fairly painless process for me.
Same thing. On top of that;
We try to remove things that we decide are useless and make a note of things that we (think) need. Than, we plan the next outing and scout for things that we (think) we will use and drop them off in the trailer along with the things we forgot the last time. There are always things that we didn't need on a trip but we know we will use on one of the next trips. These can stay. Things that we "maybe may use" we try to keep out until we know that the time to use them is the very next trip. It helps to keep the weight down.
Also, after each trip, we consider various possible modifications / alterations. For example, we got a fair bit of rain the night before we were leaving Pinery Provincial Park. Outside mat got rolled up wet and full of sand. It normally rides just rolled up and laying on the floor of the trailer. That meant extra cleaning after we came back and it all dried up... Solution? A $25 storage tube that holds the mat, 2 poles and canopy tarp and sits between the trailer body and the tongue box. But I digress; Bottom line is;
After coming back from a trip, we clean up and plan the next one
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
When I get home, I unhitch, take out the dirty laundry, remove foodstuffs.

Cleaning and etc waits until "just before" the next trip
Exactly what I do. And cleaning the PortaPotty is an easier task if you wait longer as the waste breaks down and becomes less noxious.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Most of my camping is in summertime, which is when I have the time off. I take out most food/drink items, as well as anything else that doesn't handle heat well (temps in 90s+), and my kit bag, dirty laundry, and most of the clean clothes too.

Then I collapse for a while.

Oh, uh... clean up? What's that??
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
like pam, we remove perishables, dirty laundry etc and if we used the portapottie, we'll dump it....but we rarely use it.
we put the back feet down, open the window with the maxx air rain vent and plug the electric extension cord in. job done.
in fact, we just got home from a weekend up at our lot. from the moment we backed it into the driveway to the time when we sat in front of a hot cup of tea was exactly 13 minutes. everything is done except for the load of laundry for tomorrow.

the best way, to us, to totally lose the benefit of a relaxing weekend is to have to fuss too much upon arriving home.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #12

Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Wish I could remember to either disconnect the battery or plug the trailer in.

I seem to be keeping Interstate Batteries in business all by myself!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
>>>>

Oh, uh... clean up? What's that??
Well, this is the thing that happens, in the middle of the night, when still half asleep, you step out of the trailer only to realize that you are in a T-shirt in the middle of the pouring rain. Now, only partially awake, do whatever you had to do stepping out, figuring out that you can't get any wetter anyway. Than, awake a bit more, you step back to the trailer and try very hard not to get awake any more but... that requires removing the wet T-shirt and whatever else is wet... Naturally, there is no good place to put that wet stuff into so... you throw it on the floor. Through the sleeper mind, you realize that now the floor is wet and that there is some sort of a wet rag on the floor. You put one foot on the rag (T-shirt) and make couple swirling motions to wipe the floor. Your mind goes back to a deeper sleep and you go back to bad hardly remembering that you in fact cleaned the floor in the middle of the night...
Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mouse... What do you do between trips? CUT THE GRASS and dream destinations!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I pretty much take everything out, clean inside and out so it is sparkling clean and ready for the next adventure!
My husband commented that he wished I did the same to our house!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I usually do a trailer interior wipe-down as part of the packing up to leave the campground procedure. The Burro lives at a storage lot (I live in a city rowhouse sans driveway) so on the way home we stop in there to park it, take out all the bedding if it was a long trip and the stuff needs washing, take out perishable food (the olive oil and random spices, etc can stay behind), and do a final floor sweep. Then we give it a pat and a good-night and head home to unload the car.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Empty frig.
I hope that was a typo rather than a Freudian slip.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
take anything out thats gonna get stinkier then it already is,,,food, dirty sock,,,me....everything else can wait a bit, then during the week i spend a little time for one or two evenings and clean it inside and out.usually do the inside one evening, outside the next.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
You said,
"I really like camping in Mouse, but in a trailer this size it is camping not living and I am really happy to be home!"

No matter what the trip, the time involved or the things that we do while we are away, it is always good to get home.
At least that is the way I feel about it.

I usually take out what has to be taken out [laundry, foods, etc.], tidy things up and wait for the next run. Then I do my preps.....
D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #20

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
I always do most of my housekeeping before I leave camp.
It usually isn't much - the trailer gets used as a base camp most of the time. My truck is what ends up getting dirty.

The old popup was a different story. Putting it away in the rain was not fun. It gaurenteed more work when you got home.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote