What do you think of this - kinda wierd? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I agree Jon.
Every one has their on calculations and obligations.
Those still working have to work out time slots and all that.

Someone like me just has to line out the priorities.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #16

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... but the older manufacturers (Scamp, especially) are stuck in the past. Just compare the websites - many read like a paper brochure on the screen. Don't get me wrong - I think the product itself is still relevant, more today than ever, but the sales and marketing strategy needs rethinking. It would be interesting to see some demographic data on the purchasers of new FGRVs from all the manufacturers.

[/I]
I agree Scamp is stuck in the past in many ways. Mostly that's a good thing, they make good trailers and stand behind them. In several conversations with various individuals by telephone and during two visits to Backus I clearly got the impression that they sell all the trailers they want to and most always have a waiting list. I waited 3 months in the slower Autumn season. They have about 48 employees and don't want anymore. Its a family operation and I doubt there are stockholders clamoring for each quarter's increased dividend. That said it seems there are opportunities for more aggressive/modern manufacturers out there, though the market is highly cyclical and many makers come and go. Scamp has survived 40 years thru recessions and calamitous fires; they must be doing some things right.

I admit their website is so 1990's, but then their trailers are so 1980's. The site is probably made by someone's nephew or such. I wonder if they have ever heard of LED lighting. Still I buy their trailers, though my list of modifications is long. I may be a bit prejudiced. My toys are pretty old-fashioned too.

At bottom I am very pleased with my Scamp. Its my second and the first was good too, just a bit long. I hear good things about other brands too. It is great to have choices.

Happy camping, john

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I agree Scamp is stuck in the past in many ways. Mostly that's a good thing, they make good trailers and stand behind them. In several conversations with various individuals by telephone and during two visits to Backus I clearly got the impression that they sell all the trailers they want to and most always have a waiting list. I waited 3 months in the slower Autumn season. They have about 48 employees and don't want anymore. Its a family operation and I doubt there are stockholders clamoring for each quarter's increased dividend. That said it seems there are opportunities for more aggressive/modern manufacturers out there, though the market is highly cyclical and many makers come and go. Scamp has survived 40 years thru recessions and calamitous fires; they must be doing some things right.

I admit their website is so 1990's, but then their trailers are so 1980's. The site is probably made by someone's nephew or such. I wonder if they have ever heard of LED lighting. Still I buy their trailers, though my list of modifications is long. I may be a bit prejudiced. My toys are pretty old-fashioned too.

At bottom I am very pleased with my Scamp. Its my second and the first was good too, just a bit long. I hear good things about other brands too. It is great to have choices.

Happy camping, john
Well...........................may be old school...............but

IF IT AIN'T BROKE; DON'T FIX IT ! ! !...........LOL
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #18

NE Oklahoma
But some improvements would be nice.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
John, I couldn't agree with you more. Scamp makes a great product, especially for the price, and I would love to see the company thrive for another 40 years! We love ours! And, as you say, choice is good.

That said, I strongly suspect that their demographic is aging. Right now that's fine - there are enough Boomers retiring and traveling. They seem to have plenty of business. But if they are going to survive another 40 years, they need to reach a younger generation of working families, and I sense they need to start looking now for ways to connect them to their product, both online and in person. Compare the lists of current and "legacy" manufacturers - more have gone than have survived. I'd hate for Scamp to go the way of Boler, Burro, and Hunter, all of which are also great products.

I was not holding up the newer products as superior (time will tell…), merely pointing out that they are actively courting younger buyers. As Carl notes, updates (that don't mess with a time-tested design) couldn't hurt. Changes in finishes (like letting go of the faux-woodgrain) or even some choices of finishes (beyond blue or brown) might broaden the appeal, and they needn't be costly. Not everyone wants to spend the time and energy to customize after purchase, especially those who have busy work and family schedules.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #20

NE Oklahoma
So many HATE change, but you can't stop change.

Toyota came out with the SCION brand some time back.
The word "scion" means son, younger generation, etc.

Well, I just pulled into a dealership one day without really
planning to purchase a vehicle and drove off in a 2012 xB.
I love it. Top mileage is 28, but after it broke in I've been
hitting 31-32 average and sometimes as much as 35mpg.

I'm a fat old man, definitely not the younger generation.....LOL
I do hate change. But hey, computers , etc. change every minute.

That said, I see more of us old geezers in the xB and other scions
in our area than the young.........LOL

Scamp could update areas as in lighting to begin with.
And things that interest the young set probably interest us geezers too.
They might even sell MORE to the boomers. Who knows.

Change will happen. Either move with it or be left behind.
When I was a kid the main road (Hiw. 33) had places where the
traffic literally had to stop and wait for the Amish to cross the highway
in their horse and buggies. But those traffic signs are gone. The old
road replaced with 4 lane highway (412) and the younger Amish now
drive tractors. They pull wagons to Walmart etc with their tractors.
And they have to move into traffic like the rest of us.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
[B]

I admit their website is so 1990's, but then their trailers are so 1980's. The site is probably made by someone's nephew or such.
yup it looks like it but it actually a pretty upgraded site compared to what they had up just a few years ago! LOL then the cars in pictures were 1990's models or earlier LOL & the photos of the people, by the clothing they had on it had 1980's written all over them!! And they sure as heck didn't have an online parts store and they didn't even have email as I recall just 6 years ago!! Every thing was done by phone or snail mail.

But that as you correctly point out is not a bad thing!!! Spending money on ensuring that someone always answers the phone and answers question fast is way more important to them than spending money on a flashy website.

Nope they don't build a flashy trailer with all the latest bells and whistles but they do sell a nice solid very usable trailer for a reasonable price that will stand up to years and years of use with minimal costs to maintain.

A Scamp is a bit like the Honda Civic is to the automotive world.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #22

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I would be happy to answer your question for $10. Please send cash!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I would be happy to answer your question for $10. Please send cash!
please don't go giving people here ideas!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A Scamp is a bit like the Honda Civic is to the automotive world.
Actually, I compared it to a VW Beetle in an online review I wrote for epinions. Owned (and loved) one of those (1966), too, in the day .
Old 05-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
In my opinion, Scamp is the last remaining Legacy molded fg brand, perhaps allowing a close second for Casita.

Fiberglass trailers were conceived as a means of getting families out into the woods with a few amenities not provided by tentcamping; and in the family car, not some pickup truck that would otherwise sit around unused. It didn't even cross Ray Olecko's mind that a day would come when there was more discussion of how-to-power-the-TV or A/C than there was of which lake to go fishing at.

I for one hope Scamp continues its emphasis on selling a simple trailer unadorned by a bunch of bells and whistles thought to be important by the (my) aging baby boom generation!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #26

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
There are certain things you can't really improve on and Scamp is one of them. It's a proven design that works. They have some of the most customizable designs.
Scamp sells their 13' with the original design and a new addition with the the comfort of a full size bed. Scamp has the 13' for the small tow vehicle , the 16' with many different configurations and the 19' 5th wheel for larger families. They also offer their deluxe models with an elegant wood interior.
Sometimes it's good to control the size of a business in order to keep the quality up. I was reading on another forum where another FGRV company changed their air conditioner and ran into all kinds of problems with noise. Campers two camp sites away were complaining about how loud the noise. Customers were even canceling their orders. I'm sure they'll work it out but it just goes to show how even simple changes can affect the design.
Their web page is one of the most informative, and easy to navigate. They have photos, videos, how to videos, configurations, and specifications. Scamp also has a Facebook page where new customer pictures are posted and questions are answered.
I don't own a Scamp nor do I work for the company but we are shopping for a FGRV and Scamp is definitely on our list.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #27

Trailer:
Everybody has a different idea about what is marketing and what is giving something away for free.

I worked in Ukraine just after the Soviet Union ended and they had some unexpected ideas about how capitalism worked - no-one had any direct experience of it from before the Soviet Union, so they were kinda making it up as they went along.

Their railway system had the novel idea that providing information about future trains was a service which they couldn't be expected to provide for free, so you had to pay a small amount to get timetable queries answered....
Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: "There are certain things you can't really improve on and Scamp is one of them. It's a proven design that works."

Actually there are a number of little things that Scamp could have improved on years ago that just got left as-is.

Until recently the "American" power chassis most notable feature was that the converter circuit card was easily replaceable, and often. I believe that they finally changed to the Progressive Dynamics box just a few years ago

They still insist on wiring with Scotch-Loc connectors, not something known for life expectancy & reliability.

The bottom of the entry doors still seem to warp out after 3-5 years.

The cassette type toilet is substantially more convenient to use than the Sea-Land toilet w/holding tank that has been around since Columbus came to the new world.

The shower drain pump on the 13's still gets knocked off if one isn't careful.

They still refuse to offer LED lighting, even as an option.

Yes, the basic design is very good, but this is 2014 and a lot has changed sine 1973 and one of then wasn't Scamp.....

It's kinda like the evolution of the Beetle, a lot was changed, but it was still a Beetle.

Former SCAMP Owner, 13' w/bath