What EGG brand is the highest quality? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Well, if you go over to the airforums site, you'll get an earful of how the airstream is the highest quality trailer ever built. That something like 80% of them ever built are still on the road and that a 30 to 40 year old ones are all over the place. Then they'll post about all their extensive renovations that replace all the systems, replace the wood floors and fix all the leaks.

I considered an airstream because I like the aesthetic, but I don't care for the fragility of the cosmetics. They need quite a bit of care to keep looking that great, and god forbid if you clunk anything. Dents are very pricey.

In my opinion, nothing compares to the quality of the Oliver. But all of the molded trailers seem to hold up very well. There are LOTS of old ones still out there you can buy. That says something right there.

I think all the trailer manufacturers, regardless of the build type, have to make compromises to get a low weight. That invariably leads to quality problems. So if you are chasing low weight, then I think you need to lower your expectations a bit.
I have not had to lower my expectations , in fact, with every trip I find myself still impressed with the quality of my 2004 Scamp 13D, and without the chore of towing an oversized trailer or the tedium of driving an oversized vehicle.

Lets compare quality again in ten years.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
No one mentioned the Egg Camper. I am interested in purchasing one. I would be curious if anyone owns one, how compare it's "quality" to other models? I am starting to like the Lil Snoozy just as much.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Mark,

You are probably going to have to poke around in the forum to find enough information to make any judgments. I've found nothing "bad" about any MFT brand. I've just found that there are differences that make certain brands a better fit for certain users.

I'd make a list of your criteria and see which brand best fits what you want out of a trailer - size, appointments, weight, budget, etc.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #18

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I can't find the link, but have it somewhere....I lived on a fiberglass sailboat for 10 years here in NJ. I always dreamed about gutting a boat and adding the roll on insulation they use on submarines for insulation...imagine adding that between the inner and outer shell of the fiberglass egg... then dual pane windows withe ratfur and reflectix insulation on the inside for added 4 weather capability and sound dampening.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Tennessee
Just wanted to make a mention about insulation and the use of the terms "all season, 4 season etc". Insulation works both against the transmission of heat as much as the cold. So unless you only go out during weather in the 60 to 70 degree range I think insulating valves are important regardless of your travel plans.
Just a thought....
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't think, as suggested, that the majority of FGRV's should be seen as only "Fair Weather Campers"

Most FGRV's have very little, if any additional insulation and camping well into the freezing area is entirely doable with any of the furnace systems installed in many.

We have been out in weather well into the low 20's in 13' Scamps, a Lil' Bigfoot and our Hunter, none of which have any more insulation than quilted leatherette, rat fur or carpeting for insulation, without fear of discomfort.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #21

Missouri
Yeah Ron, I have been following this forum for going on a year. Waiting and saving to make the big leap, but gathering as much info as possible.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Mark,
The first thing we looked at was interior height, since my husband is 6'3"and that eliminated quite a few brands. The Lil Snoozy is 6'4". The Eggcamper is 6'7". We considered both....Don't know what you need, but in our case, we didn't want something my husband had to stoop in. Once we narrowed our search down to a few brands due to height requirement, then I started checking for ads on forum and CL. Looked for used to avoid wait times for new production and/or travel to distant states to the factories. Miraculously found our Eggcamper only a few hours drive from our home. Wouldn't say we saved a bundle on the price because we bought used. What we saved was the wait time and long drive to pick up a new one. As far as quality of the Eggcamper brand, we feel it is top notch. Searching forums I don't believe you will find any unsatisfied owners. Some people comment about"all electric" but we are fine with that. Tows like a dream and won't rot and fall apart in the hot and humid FL weather.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #23

Missouri
I am in the same situation at 6'4". Following your same plan and hoping to find mine when I'm ready to buy.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
If you want ceiling height then buy a Parkliner.
The Scamp is 6'3" which should be adequate.
I'm 6'0" and my prefire 13Scamp is comfortable for me with a 6'0" ceiling height.
Let's face it, we seldom stand up straight with our heals together unless we are being measured!

Parkliner has an interior height of 6'5" look here...

http://www.parkliner.com/fiberglass-...pecifications/
Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm 5' 7" tall. So NONE of the current builds would be a problem for me. Understand this, if you walk from one end to the other of the popular builds, you'll take 3 steps. Most of us are either sitting down or laying down. There are lots of happy tear drop camper folks that are TALL.

It's more about sleeping space and sitting comfortable than it will ever be about standing up straight when it comes to an all molded towable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Mark, I have never heard one negative thing about Eggcamper quality. I've toured the facility and talked to the owner and been inside some Eggcampers there; other than the thin seat cushions, they were fine.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #27

Name: Yonny Yonson
Trailer: in the market
Oregon
Okay... Here is my list

Which trailer will do best with these specs?

Size: 13 -15 feet, for two people. No need for tons of space. Spend most of our time out and about.

Dry weight: 1500-2000 lbs. Want light!!!! Towed by Suby Outback 4 cyl

Toilet/shower, kinda important. Might be able to live without especially if not having creates more storage and I can be convinced that upkeep and flushing system is more work than running to a bush or having port-a-potty and a shower bag.

AC no, heat yes

Quality; reputation of structural integrity, leak resistance
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
One thing you never mentioned... and it's important to me.. is WINDOWS. You can buy/build an all molded towable using a molded box... but you need to see out. Check out the different brands and windows. Some you can only look out side-to-side. Is that imporant to you? Figure out your camping style.. I back into some great places. Want to see out the back window... not at my neighbors next to me....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote