What EGG brand is the highest quality? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yeah Ron, I have been following this forum for going on a year. Waiting and saving to make the big leap, but gathering as much info as possible.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Mark,
The first thing we looked at was interior height, since my husband is 6'3"and that eliminated quite a few brands. The Lil Snoozy is 6'4". The Eggcamper is 6'7". We considered both....Don't know what you need, but in our case, we didn't want something my husband had to stoop in. Once we narrowed our search down to a few brands due to height requirement, then I started checking for ads on forum and CL. Looked for used to avoid wait times for new production and/or travel to distant states to the factories. Miraculously found our Eggcamper only a few hours drive from our home. Wouldn't say we saved a bundle on the price because we bought used. What we saved was the wait time and long drive to pick up a new one. As far as quality of the Eggcamper brand, we feel it is top notch. Searching forums I don't believe you will find any unsatisfied owners. Some people comment about"all electric" but we are fine with that. Tows like a dream and won't rot and fall apart in the hot and humid FL weather.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #23

Missouri
I am in the same situation at 6'4". Following your same plan and hoping to find mine when I'm ready to buy.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you want ceiling height then buy a Parkliner.
The Scamp is 6'3" which should be adequate.
I'm 6'0" and my prefire 13Scamp is comfortable for me with a 6'0" ceiling height.
Let's face it, we seldom stand up straight with our heals together unless we are being measured!

Parkliner has an interior height of 6'5" look here...

http://www.parkliner.com/fiberglass-...pecifications/
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm 5' 7" tall. So NONE of the current builds would be a problem for me. Understand this, if you walk from one end to the other of the popular builds, you'll take 3 steps. Most of us are either sitting down or laying down. There are lots of happy tear drop camper folks that are TALL.

It's more about sleeping space and sitting comfortable than it will ever be about standing up straight when it comes to an all molded towable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Mark, I have never heard one negative thing about Eggcamper quality. I've toured the facility and talked to the owner and been inside some Eggcampers there; other than the thin seat cushions, they were fine.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #27

Name: Yonny Yonson
Trailer: in the market
Oregon
Okay... Here is my list

Which trailer will do best with these specs?

Size: 13 -15 feet, for two people. No need for tons of space. Spend most of our time out and about.

Dry weight: 1500-2000 lbs. Want light!!!! Towed by Suby Outback 4 cyl

Toilet/shower, kinda important. Might be able to live without especially if not having creates more storage and I can be convinced that upkeep and flushing system is more work than running to a bush or having port-a-potty and a shower bag.

AC no, heat yes

Quality; reputation of structural integrity, leak resistance
johnwgorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #28

One thing you never mentioned... and it's important to me.. is WINDOWS. You can buy/build an all molded towable using a molded box... but you need to see out. Check out the different brands and windows. Some you can only look out side-to-side. Is that imporant to you? Figure out your camping style.. I back into some great places. Want to see out the back window... not at my neighbors next to me....
Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Windows? We don't need no stinkin' windows!

Right on, Donna.
Actually, we do need windows, which is one of the reasons we bought our Trillium. It has windows on all four sides and they all open which some brands do not. They not only open but because they are the Jalousie type, they can be open in the rain.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #30

Missouri
Take it from someone who is 6'5" and use to bumping my head- interior height is important, especially since I plan on spending lots of days on the road. I know Scamp specs read 6'3" but that seems to be generous. I had a fellow measure his and he reply 6' 1 1/2". I think there are too many other options out there than to settle on one without enough head room. Plus, the extra height makes it feel roomier.

Thanks for the advice, but I am not stooping over all the time.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwgorman1 View Post

Size: 13 -15 feet, for two people. No need for tons of space. Spend most of our time out and about.

Toilet/shower, kinda important. Might be able to live without especially if not having creates more storage and I can be convinced that upkeep and flushing system is more work than running to a bush or having port-a-potty and a shower bag.

AC no, heat yes

I think the Subaru has a hitch weight limit of 200 lb. If so, your best bet is a 13' Scamp. Front baths add a lot of hitch weight, especially on the Casita IIRC, so it could be a challenge to stay under that 200 lb limit if you have a bath.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #32

Name: Yonny Yonson
Trailer: in the market
Oregon
That is useful information. Thanks. I definitely want to stay smail, so I may avoid the extra weight of a toilet and shower ( and all the water).
johnwgorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #33

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Will a woman be with you? Might just want a bathroom. Theoretically, you can fill the fresh tank at campgrounds and dump before leaving so no or little towing water weight.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I know Scamp specs read 6'3" but that seems to be generous. I had a fellow measure his and he reply 6' 1 1/2".
Scamp interior height depends on the year of the build (13'). They actually grew in interior height after the fire.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwgorman1 View Post

AC no, heat yes

John,

I'm a little bit of an outlier on small trailers.

We live comfortably in a Scamp 16. When we bought the Scamp it was about 20 years old. We have done a lot to it but not because it was in poor condition, but rather to suit our travels, (we travel about 7 months a year for the last 14 years).

I don't get hung up on weight within reason. We towed our 1991 Scamp 16, a Casita 16 and a Sunline 15.5, all similar sized and similar weight with a 4 cylinder, manual transmission 2004 Honda CRV, 225,000 miles. We have towed all over NA without a single issue. Definitely we had to downshift on long mountain passes but in a year how many does one encounter,

The biggest load on the tow vehicle most of the time is air resistance, Weight is only a factor on hills. Weather your trailer weighs 2000 pounds or 2500 pounds, it is a small percentage difference. Your tow vehicle weighs 4000 pounds so your total weight at minimum is 6000 lbs and your maximum is 6500 pounds, percentage wise a small difference.

Admittedly I know nothing about your Subaru. Only that our Honda had no issue what so ever.

To us a toilet is a must, the shower not so much. Dumping grey or black tanks is one of the simplest tasks going, keeping the trailer's outside is more difficult.

AC is unnecessary if you don't live in a sweltering part of the nation and don't travel in the blazing summers. I would always take heat first.

As to quality we have had two of the major brands trailers and seen all the rest. I think fiberglass trailer do to their common structure are all quality products that last with a little care.

If you're really tall, definitely get a taller unit however they all fit most people.

There are a lot of ways to add storage space to these rigs. We have more than we need. Go to Preparing a 1991 Scamp under Modifications, a rather long thread but it will show you what's possible in a small space.

Wishing you well in your considerations.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #36

Norm (Honda) has been able to keep his Scamp 16's hitch weight at just a little bit over 200 lbs, too. His trailer has the bathroom on the side, not in front, which makes a difference.

But when towing 2200 or 2400 lb with only 210 on the hitch, one should keep speed down (like he does) to avoid sway.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike and John,

This is a running conversation on this web site. I consciously choose to tow with a small tow vehicle because I owned one and read how successfully Europeans towed with them. For me it was very successful experiment. The Honda performed flawlessly, never a drive line repair for 225,000 miles, towing our trailers everywhere.

I do tend to drive slower than some. However on Interstates I drive in the low 60's, keeping speeds under the maximum trailer tire rating of 65 mph. As well I do follow the speed limits, like 55 mph in CA.

I still tow with a low tongue weight even though we just bought a larger tow vehicle.

I absolutely have never experienced sway towing our fiberglass trailers, a Scamp 16 and a Casita 16. We have been now towing for 7 years, making numerous loops of the USA and Canada. We usually have an anti-sway bar but towed without one for long periods with no ill effects.

We are careful towers. We avoid really bad weather like snow storms or wind storms though we have been in both.

I'm sure some Subaru owners will chime in and tell you their experiences. All I'm saying is that I towed very successfully with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV.

I admit to loading my trailer appropriately, weight low and heavy items near the axle. Something I believe you should do with any tow vehicle. There are plenty of people who've towed with large tow vehicles and had their trailer sway.

As well I am very conscious of our trailer and implemented a lot of little things. For example we have tire pressure sensors on our trailer that signal tire pressure and tire temperature. We've added a break away switch.

I believe we too often tell people not to do something but ignore writing about things like low centered weight, tire pressure, and so on. All these things matter no matter the tow vehicle. For example we have no roof top air conditioner (opting for a floor mounted air conditioner that we hardly ever use) or awning.

My goal is to share what's possible. Everyone must make their choice(s).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm 5' 7" tall. So NONE of the current builds would be a problem for me. Understand this, if you walk from one end to the other of the popular builds, you'll take 3 steps. Most of us are either sitting down or laying down. There are lots of happy tear drop camper folks that are TALL.

It's more about sleeping space and sitting comfortable than it will ever be about standing up straight when it comes to an all molded towable.
I whacked my head at least every other day on the A/C that hung down in my Casita since it was between the door and the table/bed. Particularly irritating when one gets up at night - and I'm only 6 ft.

Solved the problem on the Escape 21 - with the digital thermostat there are no knobs hanging down from the A/C

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote