What "essential" items turn out to be non-essential? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having moved into and out of 6 trailers in 4 years, my "stuff" expanded and contracted over the same period of time. Hopefully with the current trailer being the final one, I'm eliminating "stuff".
Coffee cups seem to have collected over the travels from each NP, I'm leaving those home and carrying 2 metal and 2 ceramic mugs. Coffee pots, one small electric and one campfire pot, with filters. One set of silver for 4, one set of 4 knives, 4 plastic glasses. One set of (3) stacking pots and pans with lids, one large skillet for out or inside cooking. Electric toaster over and 6" electric skillet. I do not carry extra linens but put clean on each trip, 2 towels per person. Three chairs, small table, and one 6x9 mat, one small bar-b-que outdoor stove with one (1 lb) canister for coffee and cooking outside. I carry extra AA & AAA batteries, weather radio, fuses, electrical adapters for various cg hookups. One extra blanket(12v) and 2 emergency stranded kits and first aid kit. Food and clothes, toiletries. This is my goal to keep my "stuff" limited rather than expanding. I estimate maybe 300 lbs of "Stuff"!!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #16

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...What is most essential is to ENJOY. A full tank of gas every day, sit back and enjoy the scenery. Left the two zero grav. comfy chairs at home "cause their heavy"...big mistake!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
The view from here.jpg  

Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Essentials

We try to figure out what's needed but the best test is to see what's used. We began with our first RV by parking in our yard in living in it for a month, bringing in what we needed. If we don't use something on a trip we leave it home next time.

Certainly the most important single thing is Ginny, she makes everyday a joy. Equally important is to bring an attitude of wonder, a joy in new places, food and people.

We are not transporting our former life to a trailer but seeking a new life. Some fellow travelers try to pack their former life, pets, hobbies, and clothes into their new RV life. There is a joy in living with less and focusing on each other. It's the closest we've gotten to the high school dating feeling from our teens.

In a sense when we were working we had separate lives for most of our work day. In our RV life we work to create a shared life, shared interests.

People are forever asking Ginny, never me, how she manages for 300 days in a space the size of most people's bathrooms. I always wonder why they never ask me. It's funny when we get home how we intially feel lost.

The trick to successful RVing is the attitude you bring, the other stuff gradually gets filtered down to what you need. After every trip we review our rig and stuff, trying to make it a little better.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #18

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
We try to figure out what's needed but the best test is to see what's used. We began with our first RV by parking in our yard in living in it for a month, bringing in what we needed. If we don't use something on a trip we leave it home next time.

Certainly the most important single thing is Ginny, she makes everyday a joy. Equally important is to bring an attitude of wonder, a joy in new places, food and people.

We are not transporting our former life to a trailer but seeking a new life. Some fellow travelers try to pack their former life, pets, hobbies, and clothes into their new RV life. There is a joy in living with less and focusing on each other. It's the closest we've gotten to the high school dating feeling from our teens.

In a sense when we were working we had separate lives for most of our work day. In our RV life we work to create a shared life, shared interests.

People are forever asking Ginny, never me, how she manages for 300 days in a space the size of most people's bathrooms. I always wonder why they never ask me. It's funny when we get home how we intially feel lost.

The trick to successful RVing is the attitude you bring, the other stuff gradually gets filtered down to what you need. After every trip we review our rig and stuff, trying to make it a little better.
What wonderful words of wisdom! My husband and I were just talking about this very thing--living in the Scamp as helping us to focus on what is most important and learn what is most real. We are not yet to the point of actually LIVING in our Scamp (but closing in on retirement), but we keep turning over in our minds the larger meaning of doing that. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #19

Florida
Cherl,

What is most real is the two of you. To some this may seem silly but we have had the most marvelous time traveling about sharing and learning together. It amazes me that we are heading to a unity.

As to things, we have reached a similar place. Our home is too big, we feel that way when ever we return. It's primary purpose is to entertain freinds and relatives when home. Maybe in some sense it's a store house for pictures and momentos.

We find after 11 years of intense travel we have so many shared memories, continually surfacing almost simultaneously.

Once we moved into our front yard RV it became a shared adventure, together figuring out a new way to live, to live more closely, in even more harmony.

We wish you well in your adventure. It's never too early to start. I have never met anyone who says they started too early but plenty who say they started to late.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #20

Name: Jo
Trailer: have ordered Casita SD 17
Massachusetts
Cheryl,

Norm and Ginny's advice is tops. I can't "top" that! I feel the same way. When hubby and I spend a month or so in our TT, it is all "quality time".

Non-essential items:
When we travel, I always end up taking too many clothes! I find that I don't wear half of the things I take "just in case"....

Essential: My Kindle, our laptops, and a Parchesi board! The only time we EVER play Parchesi is at night in the TT.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #21

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Can't beat Norm's words of wisdom.

Over a matter of a decade or so we've gone from a little RV to a bigger RV to a BIG RV and now to our 17' Bigfoot. I think for the most part we are traveling with the same amount of stuff as when we began. Our big 32' footer always had lots of storage space going begging because we like to travel light. I thougnt I would miss having a microwave oven but now that we've used the Bigfoot some I find I don't really miss it. My essentials are my camera and camera gear, our laptop, my purse with cash and credit cards, my pillow and my coffee maker. Anything else, if we forget it, we can always buy a replacement somewhere along the road. For my husband it's his bikes and some books to read.

In the kitchen department we have just two plates, two bowls, two coffee mugs, etc. For cooking we take a frying pan, a large saucepot, a medium saucepot and one square baking pan. We used to take a gas BBQ but found we never used it much so now it stays home. I also used to stuff the RV or trailer with tons of food but now I've seriously cut back on that. After all, there are grocery stores wherever you go!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
it's a Lafuma zero-gravity lounger if I'm staying for more than a couple of days. It's heavy, big and worth it!
Yes, yes, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
NON-essentials:
Lawn chairs
No, no, no

If there's one thing that I probably carry to much of it's tools, but then "you never know".

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
07-07-2012 7-57-25 PM  006_resize.JPG  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #23

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Jim - Proof that the basics are all you need.
Alf - So true! It's the journey that is basic to FB camping.
Norm - As always, you share words of wisdom and your special love for your wife! We can all learn from your example.
Jo- Too many clothes! Yep! I'm learning to bring fewer too. I limit myself to a 20"duffel and a toiletry bag that holds lotions/potions and first aid kit.
Kathy - Thanks for including your short list of basics. I'm finding it's much easier to keep track of fewer things.
Ron - Your photo says it all!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #24

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda
Jim - Proof that the basics are all you need.
Alf - So true! It's the journey that is basic to FB camping.
Norm - As always, you share words of wisdom and your special love for your wife! We can all learn from your example.
Jo- Too many clothes! Yep! I'm learning to bring fewer too. I limit myself to a 20"duffel and a toiletry bag that holds lotions/potions and first aid kit.
Kathy - Thanks for including your short list of basics. I'm finding it's much easier to keep track of fewer things.
Ron - Your photo says it all!
However . . . on the clothes issue . . . we recently returned from a trip in which we experienced temperatures that ranged from 31 degrees to 80 degrees--daytime temps were everything in between. I have always packed light, and taken just the essentials in clothing, but I think I will revise my philosophy somewhat. I FROZE!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is when you go to the local thrift shop for some sweats I guess it is better to pack warm, it is easier to shed clothes than to acquire them
I remember while working downtown I was able to obtain tickets to the Orioles afternoon game, went there in my shirt/tie/long pants, temperatures rose to 90's so I took out my swiss army knife and made my pants into cut offs, cooled me down but needless to say ruined the suit, unless you go to Bermuda.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sorry Dave,
2 chairs and a folding table let one boondock and enjoy the surroundings.
I agree with the weinie sticks and coffee.
`roy, i have one of those rome weinnie roasting baskets instead of sticks. you can also squeeze a steak, slab of fish, or chunk of chicken in it to roast over the fire
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
We carry folding lawn chairs with flip-out side tables. Never used 'em yet.

We have a BBQ taking up space in the "basement" It is new, 100% unused and has followed us around for a couple of years.

Not even sure if we still carry wienie sticks

What is REALLY ESSENTIAL is fresh coffee beans - a french roast with a bit of light roast mixed in, a grinder and a kettle plus Mellitta maker.

Otherwise - we arrive, set up, and go out for dinner. Next morning - coffee, then off we go, return to trailer to sleep at night.
thats pretty much what we do dave, with the exception that i truley enjoy cooking when we are at the trailer, so i make all sorts of wonderfull stuff to surprise my wife and keep her happy.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #28

Florida
Clothing

We have worked to become clothes minimalists, still a little way to go. In an 11 month trip you go thru a wide range of temperatures. We carry no winter like clothing, even when going to Newfoundland /Labrador in May. (Our picture is on a very high spot in Labrador with our raincoats/windbreakers on after a geocache hike.)

We stay warm by layering, a lighter warmer approach than a heavy coat and more useful. Our raincoats serve the dual function of windbreakers and outer wear for multiple turtleneck sweater layers when necessary.

This year we each carried two pairs of shoes, a pair of Keens and a pair of sneakers (for occasional tennis). The Keens are great for hiking and adequate for Church. (Ginny slipped in a 'hidden' third pair fr dancing.)

We have a rule if we didn't use a piece of clothing in a year it doesn't make it next year. This means that the last month of the trip I see outfits on Ginny I had not seen in the previous 10 months. (She has said she brought too much.)

We did carry 3 pairs of Jeans this year because we wanted a good pair for the pig roast/mountain wedding. We carry 4-6 pairs of shorts and a good mix of long and short shirts, from T-shirts, pullovers, turtlenecks and button down shirts.

We carry 8 pairs of underwear and socks because we wash once a week.

As well we carry 1 dress outfit (Ginny has 2) for church and special events.

The only important appearance thing is how we look to each other and Ginny tells me I always look 16. The lie makes me feel good.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16