What I hate about my 17SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
What I hate about my 17SD

I really love this camper,but I hate putting sheets and blankets on the back dinette. Does anyone have an easy way to do this?
I am thinking about using sleeping bags instead of normal bedding. Do any of Ya'll do that?
Ro
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in TX View Post
I really love this camper,but I hate putting sheets and blankets on the back dinette. Does anyone have an easy way to do this?
I am thinking about using sleeping bags instead of normal bedding. Do any of Ya'll do that?
Ro
Yes...
We took a quilted memory foam topper and custom fitted it to the bed.
Then we made a custom fitted sheet for it. It stays on the topper and makes the bed automatically when unfurled.
Attached Thumbnails
b003.JPG   b004.JPG  

b006.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
A pair of matched zip-together sleeping bags would do it nicely. I know. Roll out, roll up, no sheets to tuck in.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I don't know if you like the feel of Jersey (like T-shirt material) but those sheets are easier to put on and conform nicely. I leave my bed up all the time and replaced the Casita cushions with an 8" memory foam cut to fit. Even though the Patriot bed is larger than a twin but smaller than a double....twin jersey sheets fit nicely and I love the softness.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Several years ago we purchased the Travasak sleep system (top and bottom sheets velcroed between two zip together comforters) for the rear berth/dinette of our 16'er. It worked like a charm then and is even better in our current 19'er. I thought the company folded as they weren't available for the past couple of years but I saw a recent ad for them in a Camping World flyer. Not sure how the current product compares to what we have but it may be worth a look if you have a nearby CW.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We never considered "making up a bed" with sheets and blankets. Sleeping bags are the norm for us. It's an easy thing to do. Again we learned from backpacking to use stuff bags for many things including sleeping bags. In the morning the bags are stuffed into their bags and stowed under the dinette street side seat, evening they're taken out and when the cushions are in place for the bed the bags are layed out.
We sleep in our individual bags, no steeling covers.

Maybe it depends on whether you're camping for using a motel on wheels.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
...like Shirey, I use jersey and/or fleece sheets. They fit snuggly, don't move or shift and
are always comfortable. Plus, they don't absorb any dampness.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I use sleeping bags sometimes. bought a used Trav-a-sack we use in the Bigfoot.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B (previous 16' Scamp)
Washington (dry side)
I use a flannel lined sleeping bag with a cotton cloth exterior - none of the slippery stuff. This goes on a thick, full size thermarest pad as I find the Scamp cushions too hard. If you just roll it up loosely and wrap a strap around it, it goes pretty fast.

I've spent enough wonderful, peaceful nights camping with such a sleeping bag it feels as normal and comfortable as a bed at home.

The sleeping bags can also be easily washed in the big commercial clothes washer at the local laundry mat. Air dry on a warm sunny day.
Jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I ordered a fitted topper and sheets for the mattress today and will try that , If I am not satisfied with that I will go to the double sleeping bags . Thanks for all the replys Thanks JerryC for the link to them

Special Order - Special order bedding for RVs - AB Lifestyles
Ron
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #11

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
In our 16' Scamp we keep the bed made up and use the side dinette for indoor meals. We have a 2" memory foam topper and have a fitted sheet for it. On top we use two queen size Tommy Bahama comforters from Costco. If it is really cold we resort to the sleeping bags, but don't usually carry them. The comforters are easy to wash in a home size washer and dryer.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Several years ago we purchased the Travasak sleep system (top and bottom sheets velcroed between two zip together comforters) for the rear berth/dinette of our 16'er. It worked like a charm then and is even better in our current 19'er. I thought the company folded as they weren't available for the past couple of years but I saw a recent ad for them in a Camping World flyer. Not sure how the current product compares to what we have but it may be worth a look if you have a nearby CW.

Al

+1 on the Travasak. Have used one for a few years. I checked out the new ones at Camping Word and they appear to be as good as the original ones made before the original company went under. Expensive (@ $180) but we really like ours. Essentially, it's a big sleeping bag with removable/washable inner sheets. IMHO, worth the cost for the convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We used our 13 Boler over 100 nights this year and I made the double rear bed every nite. I think the secret is in having a system. Probably takes <3 mins to set up or put away. I am old school to boot, foam over cushions then sheet, sleeping bag top blanket and electric blanket on top when cooler out.
All bedding stores under the street side dinette.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
just another way...

I don't even try for the fitted sheet thing...it's impossible after my "V-berth" mod....

the bed gets made up every night and put away every day...sleeping bag on the bottom (sorta like a mattress topper) two queen flat sheets (of different colors so you can always tell top from bottom) and a comforter on top...

in the morning the whole thing gets roughly staightened out flat, rolled up in a bundle and stored up above...
Attached Thumbnails
bedmod.jpg   adoneja.jpg  

bedsto4.jpg   adonejbb.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Cheryl likes bedding but I may convince her to try two zip together sleeping bags, one heavier for low temps and one lighter weight for warmer weather. What ever one seems most appropriate ends up on top.

I like stuff sacks also, smaller size than rolled when just stuffed in. A backpacking sleeping bag is so much easier to clean then down sleeping bag. With care a good quality one will last for decades. Stuff sack full of sleeping bag also makes a nice back rest pillow.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Sleeping bag is what I go with as it makes me feel all snug and cozy. I do have a memory foam/sheet gizmo I made by cutting both to size and rolling out like a sleeping bag, but I did that only for extra cushion and to collect Doritos crumbs .

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
...A backpacking sleeping bag is so much easier to clean then down sleeping bag. With care a good quality one will last for decades…
I'm a little confused, since many backpacking bags are down-filled. I agree, though, that synthetic-filled bags are more practical for use in a trailer, where weight is less of an issue. Good ones don't clump like down when washed. Down also needs to be stored uncompressed, so you need a separate storage sack.

I still use a North Face synthetic mummy bag that I bought in college more than 30 years ago. It's seen hundreds of nights' use backpacking, tenting, and now Scamping. One of these days I'll get around to cleaning it…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Cindy sewed a couple of sheets together and we just roll the sheets and blankets up in the morning and unroll at night.

Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I love my Travasack. Sooo easy and looks good too.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I outgrew sleeping bags when I traded a tent for an all molded towable. There's something about sleeping in real sheet/blankets that's NIRVANA.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote