What I learned after one week in my Casita. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #15
Name: Laureen
Trailer: Casita
I am 5'11" and regularly bump my head on the door upon exiting our 17' Casita. I also bump it on the wall of the bathroom if I am taking a shower. It has been a great little home on wheels for us, but if I were just a tad shorter, or if it were just a tad bigger, it would be more perfect.
Husband and I spent 3 months in the Casita with 2 small dogs (14 and 17 pounds), and all were still speaking to each other at the end of the trip. We too have 'lost' our rig when parked between a couple of 40 foot Class A motorhomes. That is pretty normal when camping at the show site when showing dogs. We are always the smallest rig there, and it usually gets the most attention too.
I appreciate that they hold a decent resale value. When we move out of the country next year, we will have to sell it. At our last yard sale as we pare down our belongings, several people asked if the Casita was for sale. We told them it would be for sale next year when we are closer to our move date. We now have contact info for 4 people in town who are interested. Yep, it is one of the better purchases we've made over the years. I'll miss having the little trailer in the driveway, ready to go, anytime we feel like taking off for a few days of camping. We are ready for new and bigger adventures now, so if anyone wants to buy a home on the beautiful Oregon coast, contact me! Laureen

Laureen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Laureen, you're "gettin' out of Dodge" while you can; smart move! Where you headed?

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
William---sounds like it's been one helluva week!

I can see you in my mind---bumps and bruises all over your noggin. A disconnected sewer hose in one hand and your socks in another.

....all in all....you're settling in to your new home, making memories that you will laugh about around a campfire one day....
....not today---but one day.
Hi: theresa p... Remember us staying with you and asking for some bleach to disinfect our dish pan and my brown sandals? Not all campground sewers are unplugged!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
We have a picture we took from just the right angle on the road so that it looks like the 48 ft. motorhome the next site over is pulling our 13 ft. scamp the way they sometimes haul a car.

Arrived late at night, did not set up just dropped and leveled then went to bed. Next morning went out for coffee and coming back just started to crack up because from the road it did look like the motor home was hauling a white fiberglass dog house.

It takes time to figure out how to arrange things or solutions to irritants or how to get the most from some feature. Never really ends but it does slow down a lot eventually.

In storage locations those expanding spring loaded 1/4 inch metal curtain rods can be used to either hold things in (used that way in fridge) or possibly to prevent stored items from sliding into electrical items. Portable bars that can run up and down or cross wise. Unscrew to length then compress to snap into place.

If you are going to be in place for a long time it can make sense to hook up your stinky slinky rather than have to unpack and pack it. Just as others have said don't leave it draining all the time. You will want the black water tank to have liquid in it (really, really want this) and you will want to have the gray water tank to flush the hose after doing the black water tank.

Shower in a camper is pleasant in direct proportion to how long it has been since you had a shower available and how far it is to indoor plumbing. 3 days in the national forest 12 miles from anything and that is one snazzy shower. Walking 20 yards to a full sized shower in a campground bath house makes the small FGRV shower much less appealing.

Like home ownership or any other "new" skill it takes time to learn and mastery is an ongoing process. You will probably enjoy finding solutions as you go.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
If your fridge keeps unplugging go to the hardware store and get an upgraded duplex outlet. Get one from the pro or industrial line. The contacts inside have much greater tension to hold the plug in. Depending on how the wire for the fridge is routed you may check to see that the wire isn't swinging on its own weight. secure it so its not bouncing around when the trailer is running down the road.

Your first experiences are pretty much the same as ours have fun with your new toy.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
Name: Laureen
Trailer: Casita

Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Laureen, you're "gettin' out of Dodge" while you can; smart move! Where you headed?
Hi Mike -

Potrerillos Abajo, Chiriqui, Panama is the landing spot for us when we move (between David and Boquete) close to Costa Rica. It sits at about 2,200 feet elevation - so 70s-80s year round temps in both wet and dry seasons. Panama is affordable, stable, has a big canal there that brings in lots of money for the country, and they welcome retirees from other countries. There is no perfect place it seems, but this is the closest to perfect for us, so we are working on getting the house ready to put in the market next spring, and then off to become expats. Come visit us when you need some tropical weather! We plan on starting an Airbnb, so easy to fill the frig with fresh local fruit and coffee . Laureen
Laureen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #21
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Tonight I learned not to spray on athletes foot medicine near the propane detector. I think I woke up everyone in a 50 yd radius.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 AM   #22
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986, towed with Dodge Journey 2012, 3.6 L., 6 speeds.
I understand now, why a switch on/off was on my old detector.
Hi, hi, hi...
My wife did similar thing with a cleaner in spray, but we were in the court at home.
Less spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
1 - Newtec front.jpg  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:38 AM   #23
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

We slept in our RV in our driveway for months after we bought it, from May until September, to us it was RV college. It was also a chance for friends and family to come buy and wonder about our sanity, both quitting great jobs at the peak of our earning lives.

As I heard from one. "That's Norm (Ginny never gets blame), if he were an Eskimo you could sell him a refrigerator".

Quote them Frost as a reply:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and
I -- I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #24
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Two roads diverged in a wood, and
I -- I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
'The Road Not Taken', very appropriate for an RVer. For some reason, it made me think of the book, The Giver.

It's just difficult for some people to ever deviate from where they are, change, even good change, can be mentally difficult. The world is in a period of rapid change.

In a sense, there is a measure of change avoidance when one travels extensively in a small trailer. Your world is smaller, your relationships are fewer, your responsibilities decreased.

Thanks Robert always good to read the classics.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay