What I learned after one week in my Casita. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
What I learned after one week in my Casita.

What I learned after my first week in my new SD17 Casita.

I learned it is amazingly small with only 14x6.5 ft of space, and looks like a toy when parked between 40ft fifth-wheels. Yet it is enough space to live in.

I learned that no matter what, I will hit my head on every door-frame and open cupboard. Hard. Several times a day.

I learned it was a smart move to take almost every option available, and I should have taken the outside shower option so I could spray off things outside the Casita. Like sewage things.

I learned the sewer line looks like a steeplechase to the kids in the campground, and if they trip-over the sewer line and pull it out, they will not tell you. They will helpfully push it back in so it looks like it is still connected.

I learned it is wise to dump some grey-water first and make sure your sewer line is really connected.

I learned you don't really need propane if you are plugged in to 30 amp service and you use the microwave.

I learned I don't like the shower (I've never used an RV shower before) The water-hose handle always seems to point in the wrong direction. The ceiling is too low. If you don't open the vent, the vent-handle will jab your head. The door-frame is unpadded aluminum, and head strikes will wound you. It also leaks in to the living area, around the door frame. The toilet is good.

I learned you can fit three 14qt Roughneck plastic bins under the queen-bed, perfectly.

I learned it doesn't pay to try and put plastic organizers in the cupboards. It is better to just cram everything in to them, to get full use of the curved space.

I learned the Casita is really easy to tow. I didn't even need my Prodigy brake controller, which I never got properly calibrated. I wasn't going to "lockup the trailers wheels and then ease off on the strength". I started on level 6 like they said, and got up to 13 without locking up the wheels. Then I was on the interstate, and just set it back to 6 for the 20 minute move to the campground.

I learned the rear dinette makes a great computer desk, but the small dinette makes a horrible bed (for an adult). You have to use the rear dinette as the bed, leaving you with a tiny computer desk.

I learned a little Eva-Dry dehumidifier will pull a lot of water out of the air in the Casita.

I learned it is a life-saver to have a TV that can hold any cargo that won't fit in the Casita. I can fit eight 18qt Roughneck bins in the back of my short-bed truck (with Leer cap).

I learned the fridge's AC power cable can fall out, and you have to open an outside panel to plug it back in. It seems like a design flaw, but it's not a big deal once you know you need to check it.

I learned many of the cupboards have the backsides of electrical components in them, and could get damaged from cargo flying around during transit. They should have covers in the cupboards to protect the electrical components. It makes me nervous to store, say socks, in the cupboard. I will not put anything that can burn near the electrical contacts, and will not put anything heavy in the cupboards that could crush the electrical connections (break wires off, etc).

I learned their is a secret compartment under one of the small dinette chairs.

I learned some other things too, but that is all for now.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
What I Learned

Whoot,
With all the schooling going on, I hope you are at least having a little fun.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:27 AM   #3

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
Whoot,
With all the schooling going on, I hope you are at least having a little fun.
It's not all negative, sorry I sounded so harsh. Living in an RV has some big advantages that will manifest later. Right now I am just using it as a tiny apartment. The Casita's mobility and long-life are its two main advantages for me. If I can transition to earning an income online (or remote working), then I will become mobile - and I will be able to live anywhere. I also should not have to worry about Casita rotting and falling apart. It is up to me whether I can become mobile or not, but I am very happy that the Casita can do it when I'm ready. That will outweigh all the negatives. When I am mobile, the Casita's small size will become a big advantage.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
William---sounds like it's been one helluva week!

I can see you in my mind---bumps and bruises all over your noggin. A disconnected sewer hose in one hand and your socks in another.

....all in all....you're settling in to your new home, making memories that you will laugh about around a campfire one day....
....not today---but one day.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
RVs are a lot of work. But it's work that's rewarding and we love to do.
It helps us get off the couch, and getting out of the house. The setup alone is is a workout (unless you're very young. Lol). Hunting, fishing, sailing, tennis, and restoring cars, are all work, if you don't enjoy what you're doing. RVing is something we all love to do. I talk to people about it and some will respond with, "I'd rather get a hotel. It's so much easier." True, but isn't it also easier to go to the store and buy a top choice rib-eye than go hunting? It's easier to buy a new car than to restore on old one. It's all in the love of the hobby.
Our FGRV door is not hitting us on the head, it's a friendly reminder she loves you. It's an FGRV kiss! Some owners sleep in their FGRV in their driveway! Enjoy! Happy travels and happy camping!
Marky!

Sent from my Z987 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Our FGRV door is not hitting us on the head, it's a friendly reminder she loves you. It's an FGRV kiss! Some owners sleep in their FGRV in their driveway! Enjoy! Happy travels and happy camping!
Marky!

Sent from my Z987 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I love this written passage.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Marky,

We slept in our RV in our driveway for months after we bought it, from May until September, to us it was RV college. It was also a chance for friends and family to come buy and wonder about our sanity, both quitting great jobs at the peak of our earning lives.

As I heard from one. "That's Norm (Ginny never gets blame), if he were an Eskimo you could sell him a refrigerator".

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I learned the sewer line looks like a steeplechase to the kids in the campground, and if they trip-over the sewer line and pull it out, they will not tell you. They will helpfully push it back in so it looks like it is still connected.
I've learned you don't have to connect the sewer line until you want to empty the tanks, usually when I'm leaving the RV park.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
two words...
Shower Curtain.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Side dinette sleeping: I love it because it's so close to the bathroom. I figured out it seems much wider if I prop the outside edges of the cushions up so I don't feel like I'm going to roll off. Maybe use socks��.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #11

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Hilarious AND informative! Thank you for sharing.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I also would recommend hooking up the 'stinky slinky' only when dumping, when the tank is getting fairly full. It sounds like you weren't leaving the valve open, which is good; an open valve lets all liquids drain immediately, which allows solids to, um, pile up.

About the brake controller: new brake shoes on trailers often have a protective coating from the factory to keep them looking nice and uncorroded, and this coating takes a few dozen (or more) stops to wear off. In the meantime your brakes won't grab firmly like they will later on. So go ahead and set your controller for max output for now, and later on adjust it downward.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #13

Smile It's a learning curve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
What I learned after my first week in my new SD17 Casita.

I learned it is amazingly small with only 14x6.5 ft of space, and looks like a toy when parked between 40ft fifth-wheels. Yet it is enough space to live in.

I learned that no matter what, I will hit my head on every door-frame and open cupboard. Hard. Several times a day.

I learned it was a smart move to take almost every option available, and I should have taken the outside shower option so I could spray off things outside the Casita. Like sewage things.

I learned it is wise to dump some grey-water first and make sure your sewer line is really connected.

I learned you don't really need propane if you are plugged in to 30 amp service and you use the microwave.

I learned I don't like the shower (I've never used an RV shower before) The water-hose handle always seems to point in the wrong direction. The ceiling is too low. If you don't open the vent, the vent-handle will jab your head. The door-frame is unpadded aluminum, and head strikes will wound you. It also leaks in to the living area, around the door frame. The toilet is good.

I learned you can fit three 14qt Roughneck plastic bins under the queen-bed, perfectly.

I learned it doesn't pay to try and put plastic organizers in the cupboards. It is better to just cram everything in to them, to get full use of the curved space.

I learned the Casita is really easy to tow. I didn't even need my Prodigy brake controller, which I never got properly calibrated. I wasn't going to "lockup the trailers wheels and then ease off on the strength". I started on level 6 like they said, and got up to 13 without locking up the wheels. Then I was on the interstate, and just set it back to 6 for the 20 minute move to the campground.

I learned the rear dinette makes a great computer desk, but the small dinette makes a horrible bed (for an adult). You have to use the rear dinette as the bed, leaving you with a tiny computer desk.

I learned a little Eva-Dry dehumidifier will pull a lot of water out of the air in the Casita.

I learned it is a life-saver to have a TV that can hold any cargo that won't fit in the Casita. I can fit eight 18qt Roughneck bins in the back of my short-bed truck (with Leer cap).

I learned the fridge's AC power cable can fall out, and you have to open an outside panel to plug it back in. It seems like a design flaw, but it's not a big deal once you know you need to check it.

I learned many of the cupboards have the backsides of electrical components in them, and could get damaged from cargo flying around during transit. They should have covers in the cupboards to protect the electrical components. It makes me nervous to store, say socks, in the cupboard. I will not put anything that can burn near the electrical contacts, and will not put anything heavy in the cupboards that could crush the electrical connections (break wires off, etc).

I learned their is a secret compartment under one of the small dinette chairs.

I learned some other things too, but that is all for now.
Hello William,
My first RV!

It's a big learning curve, very interesting what you honestly wrote. Many of us have similar experiences - lol!
When I got my Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' (April) I planned on 6 days to unpack my truck and get set up -lol! By day 2 I knew that was not going to happen so I ended up staying in the RV park almost 6 weeks!

I know all about the head scraping 6' tall (started to wear my hat inside for awhile. Now I have little ribbons hanging from the shower curtain rod to remind me to duck...lol.

I picked up in April and the last of the head scrapes/scabs are almost gone. Almost finished arranging the last of the cabinet space in functional order. A new system; putting things used most in functional order and most often used. A "2 hand rule" if I have to move something to get to something else, I make sure one hand can get the thing in the way, the other hand gets the thing I need. No more more 5 things to get to one. All of that is different for everyone - it's another learning curve. I also learned to downsize and throw over board or give away unneeded things.

Still learning all the little things about the Casita', this and that sound, how this works and working on adding/ and did some custom items like a portable 100W Solar Panel. Still a long ways to go.

It's like learning to live on a little yacht, hitching, towing, restocking, checking, rechecking, planning but it's all do able.

It's a good ship, wheels under my bed and a roof over my head. Many people in the world have far far less...I never forget that every night when I lay down to sleep....

We are nimble, easy to tow, and there is a great joy learning and finding contentment in how little a person really needs to live well! Yup it's small, but we are adaptable and "tough"!

Carpi Deim!
Ranger100

It's a good ship and I love the freedom and I think you will also find this to be true the longer you live in it. Safe travels!

PS: Re electrical - more danger out on the road towing than the electrical stuff. If you are really concerned about that buy some "Pool Noodles" $1 each and slice/dice/ tie wrap where you think it's needed....
ranger100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #14

Name: j
Trailer: Currently Shopping"
Alabama
And your point is?
bubblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am 5'11" and regularly bump my head on the door upon exiting our 17' Casita. I also bump it on the wall of the bathroom if I am taking a shower. It has been a great little home on wheels for us, but if I were just a tad shorter, or if it were just a tad bigger, it would be more perfect.
Husband and I spent 3 months in the Casita with 2 small dogs (14 and 17 pounds), and all were still speaking to each other at the end of the trip. We too have 'lost' our rig when parked between a couple of 40 foot Class A motorhomes. That is pretty normal when camping at the show site when showing dogs. We are always the smallest rig there, and it usually gets the most attention too.
I appreciate that they hold a decent resale value. When we move out of the country next year, we will have to sell it. At our last yard sale as we pare down our belongings, several people asked if the Casita was for sale. We told them it would be for sale next year when we are closer to our move date. We now have contact info for 4 people in town who are interested. Yep, it is one of the better purchases we've made over the years. I'll miss having the little trailer in the driveway, ready to go, anytime we feel like taking off for a few days of camping. We are ready for new and bigger adventures now, so if anyone wants to buy a home on the beautiful Oregon coast, contact me! Laureen
Laureen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Laureen, you're "gettin' out of Dodge" while you can; smart move! Where you headed?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
William---sounds like it's been one helluva week!

I can see you in my mind---bumps and bruises all over your noggin. A disconnected sewer hose in one hand and your socks in another.

....all in all....you're settling in to your new home, making memories that you will laugh about around a campfire one day....
....not today---but one day.
Hi: theresa p... Remember us staying with you and asking for some bleach to disinfect our dish pan and my brown sandals? Not all campground sewers are unplugged!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We have a picture we took from just the right angle on the road so that it looks like the 48 ft. motorhome the next site over is pulling our 13 ft. scamp the way they sometimes haul a car.

Arrived late at night, did not set up just dropped and leveled then went to bed. Next morning went out for coffee and coming back just started to crack up because from the road it did look like the motor home was hauling a white fiberglass dog house.

It takes time to figure out how to arrange things or solutions to irritants or how to get the most from some feature. Never really ends but it does slow down a lot eventually.

In storage locations those expanding spring loaded 1/4 inch metal curtain rods can be used to either hold things in (used that way in fridge) or possibly to prevent stored items from sliding into electrical items. Portable bars that can run up and down or cross wise. Unscrew to length then compress to snap into place.

If you are going to be in place for a long time it can make sense to hook up your stinky slinky rather than have to unpack and pack it. Just as others have said don't leave it draining all the time. You will want the black water tank to have liquid in it (really, really want this) and you will want to have the gray water tank to flush the hose after doing the black water tank.

Shower in a camper is pleasant in direct proportion to how long it has been since you had a shower available and how far it is to indoor plumbing. 3 days in the national forest 12 miles from anything and that is one snazzy shower. Walking 20 yards to a full sized shower in a campground bath house makes the small FGRV shower much less appealing.

Like home ownership or any other "new" skill it takes time to learn and mastery is an ongoing process. You will probably enjoy finding solutions as you go.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your fridge keeps unplugging go to the hardware store and get an upgraded duplex outlet. Get one from the pro or industrial line. The contacts inside have much greater tension to hold the plug in. Depending on how the wire for the fridge is routed you may check to see that the wire isn't swinging on its own weight. secure it so its not bouncing around when the trailer is running down the road.

Your first experiences are pretty much the same as ours have fun with your new toy.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Laureen, you're "gettin' out of Dodge" while you can; smart move! Where you headed?
Hi Mike -

Potrerillos Abajo, Chiriqui, Panama is the landing spot for us when we move (between David and Boquete) close to Costa Rica. It sits at about 2,200 feet elevation - so 70s-80s year round temps in both wet and dry seasons. Panama is affordable, stable, has a big canal there that brings in lots of money for the country, and they welcome retirees from other countries. There is no perfect place it seems, but this is the closest to perfect for us, so we are working on getting the house ready to put in the market next spring, and then off to become expats. Come visit us when you need some tropical weather! We plan on starting an Airbnb, so easy to fill the frig with fresh local fruit and coffee . Laureen
Laureen M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita