What I like about a Trillium 4500 vs. a 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What I like about a Trillium 4500 vs. a 1300

In response to a PM, I came up with a good list of the differences between a Trillium 4500 vs. a 1300. I thought I would share it.

Fuel consumption:
I would be surprised if the 4500 caused any additional fuel consumption, over a 1300. The minimal additional weight, (~200lbs) and closer to 18" of additional length wont add much. I tow with either a GM Savana travel van, or a GM Safari mini van. The Savana has a raised fibreglass roof that is a bit higher then the Trillium, so I don't notice any additional fuel consumption with either a 1300, or a 4500. The Safari does consume a bit more fuel when towing, but not much.

The 4500 distributes that extra length between a wider rear dinette / double bed, (53” vs. 45.5”) wider closet, (24” vs 19.5”) wider front gaucho, (30” vs. 26.5) and longer kitchen, (49” vs 44”). Just a more comfortable version of the 1300. There are some design changes I like as well.
- On the 1300, the water tank is under a dinette seat. In the 4500, they put the water tank under the floor of the dinette. This frees up the seat of the dinette for storage.
-In the 4500 there is an expanded fridge location, so it can us a larger fridge, RM36E or RM360 vs. an RM211.
- The furnace in a 4500 is further from the bed, and as such, less likely to melt a sleeping bag. It is also larger, and the exhaust is out the door side, so it will kinda warm an add a room, if you have one. Bob Miller will freak when he reads this. But the truth is that burning propane does not make much CO. Hence being able to use a propane stove in the trailer. The furnace location frees up a cupboard, below the sink, in the kitchen. Very handy.
- The 4500 has a tip out storage right by the door, below the closet, right beside the furnace. I use this for garbage. It is handy, when you are outside the trailer, to be able to open the door of the trailer and dispose of garbage easily. But the main benefit of this is that if you pull up on this tip out box, the door and box can clear the bottom of the hole they are in, and can be pulled right out. This gives access to the inside of the space that the furnace and converter are in, as well as all the wiring that is associated with the converter. This is more handy then I can say.
- The roof vent is centered and a 14" vent vs a 9" vent. Therefore, adding a powered roof vent is much simpler.
- The aluminum and plywood shelves above the dinette and the front gaucho have doors. This makes them much more practical then the fibreglass versions in the 1300. Though on later 1300's you could get the aluminum and plywood shelves above the dinette, but still fibreglass in the front.

The 1300 that we are keeping is called Wedding Gift, (for now). It has a tiny, what I call a ¼ bath. It would be useless for me, but the daughter getting it is quite small, and likes the idea of a bathroom, or maybe a big closet. She is a small foot print kinda person, so a smaller trailer appeals to her.

The other two 1300's I own are practice cadavers. I will fix them up as much as possible, then sell them. One of my youngest kids will get the trailer I call Life Support, which is the trailer the family uses on vacations now. My wife and I will end up with a front dinette 4500, which I have yet to find. The perfect couples trailer if you ask me. Leave the big dinette a bed and still have a table for two.

So after the two practice trailers are sold, I will be in the market for two more 4500's
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Are the 4500's set up with brakes?
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
Are the 4500's set up with brakes?
Mostly, but but I think it was an option still. I am pretty sure it was one of the options included in the Deluxe package. Non Deluxe 4500's are in the minority. Also, many axles have been changed since the orignals were installed more then 25 years ago. Launch Pad, (a Deluxe) came with a newer axle, but there was no magnet, in the brakes, and 2" of the blue wire was just hanging out of the fibreglass.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I think mine was a deluxe with no factory brakes.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Is there some doubt that the Trillium 4500 represents the Absolute Perfection of the Form introduced via the Boler?

I thought that question was well settled given the number of its imitators; that being the sincerest form of flattery-?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
So after the two practice trailers are sold, I will be in the market for two more 4500's[/QUOTE]

If anyone will naturally gravitate to them / find them it will be you.
Hopefully no cesspools of mould or caved in roofs. But then what would you do in your free time ?
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
I don't consider mould a problem. It is just a indication that the owner does not use the trailer, and is also a bargaining tool. There are very few natural fibers in a Trillium, The inside frame on the windows, and the plywood in the floor. The windows always rot, and can be fixed. The floor is usually not a problem, but I still check.

What I do look for, and avoid:
Floor rot: I look in the gaucho, and the in the dinette seats. I also bounce up and down on the floor in several places.
Large holes in the fibreglass: This may seem obvious, but things like after market furnaces, roof vents, PO added windows, roof racks. Unless done right, are big repair jobs.

Cesspools, have stopped me as well. One cat infested unit was passed on, it had more problems, but that was the straw that broke the camels back. I decided to push on to Edmonton, where I purchased this trailer for slightly more then they were asking for the cesspool:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-61038.html

Tags
trillium