What I'll be doing in May - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I'll be taking a bike ride!

For starters, understand that I'm not exactly in tip-top shape. I got a bike about 2 years ago and started riding it at lunchtime at work, working up from only being able to ride around the parking lot for 15 minutes or so and feeling like I was going to pass out to where I am now - able to get in about 10 miles in a little over a half-hour and still have energy to spare.

I registered for the 2007 American Lung Association of NH Clean Air Challenge Seacoast Bike Tour this weekend. It will be held on May 19 & 20. Hope I'm not going to get in over my head, in more ways than one...

All proceeds from this 22nd Annual Seacoast Bike Tour will benefit the following youth tobacco prevention and cessation and asthma education programs in New Hampshire:
1. No Butts About It which teaches NH 5th graders about the dangers of tobacco use
2. NOT (Not On Tobacco) Program which helps teen smokers break their addiction to tobacco
3. OAS (Open Airways for Schools) which helps children living with asthma.

I should be able to do the 25 mile course no problem. I have until May to train for it. I signed up for the 2-day event, which means a ride up the coast from Portsmouth, NH to Ogunquit, ME on Saturday and a ride inland back to Portsmouth on Sunday. I've volunteered for this event for... 5 years, now, I think, as a ham radio operator. I'm going to try to help out in that capacity as well, by installing a radio on my bike.

You can find out more about the ride HERE.

Now, to toot my own horn: If you'd like to make a pledge, I'd be very grateful! You can visit my fund raising page HERE. It's easy to make a pledge using a credit/debit card. I can also accept cash and checks. I set a fundraising goal of $500 for myself but I need to raise at least $325 by May or I'll have to make up the difference myself. If I raise $500 or more I get a T-shirt plus a gift certificate to a bike shop.
People who pledge $25 or more will be entered in a raffle for 3 different prizes, to be drawn on June 9th.
Ok, commercial over.

I'm stoked. Looking forward to it. Maybe next year I'll work up to the longer courses, with the ultimate goal being the century ride.

Now I'll have to try to get longer rides in, weather permitting, to help build up my endurance. Last year I rode year-round as long as the roads were cleared. The way this winter is going, I may be able to get quite a bit of riding in.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I have wanted to jump in and participate in this event for a couple of years now and last year I told myself that this was going to be the year to do it. Our ham radio club supports several different benefit events like this so if this event goes well for me I may just try to do others.
We even support the bicycle hillclimb up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Hey, I can dream big, right?

As the saying goes, JUST DO IT!

Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Good job! That is a LOT of fun! We did a 25 mile ride for the Lung Association in Sacramento in '95 or so. I really enjoyed it. I still bike, but not nearly as much as I'd like or is good for me.

Good luck!

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote