what I really need - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
Quote:
I always drive at 55 max... occasionally 60. I get 13-15 range.
If I had a four cyl ranger pulling 2000 lbs I am sure I would get over 20 and maybe closer to 25 at that speed.
As the new smaller trucks come back with turbo diesels (I am sure that is not far off) then near 30mpg would be obtainable while towing. Some magazines suggest turbo diesel hybrids pickups are also on the horizon.
We have been enjoying cheap gas for years. Europe long ago figured out how to caravan with smaller rigs and $6 gas.
Down sizing is coming I am sure.

I may go back to Aliner for that reason you mentioned... wind face. Its such a rickety cheap thing though.
Not sure what I'll do.

Thanks for the input everyone!
I mist my brother old Mazda Pickup truck 1984 B2200 Diesel, He use to run like the Energizer rabbit...run on the same charge(Tank) for a long long long time.... If gaz get to hight maybe we will see biodiesel get cheaper if the
mineral oil go in maximum production...Imagine smelling French fries every where in city streets Hum.. Cheap Fuel...Good smell...No polution, I jump in this wagon anytime Here a nice link to Diesel engine vehicule sold in the USA

http://www.grassolean.com/index.html...ile=dieselcars
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I always drive at 55 max... occasionally 60. I get 13-15 range.....
at those speeds pulling my other trailer (US Military) from OH to FL w/trailer full of all my personal belongings (TV cloths tools axle file cabinets etc etc etc) I got 12mpg on diesel. Well actually I got 40mpg on diesel but thats cause the rest of the fuel was vegetable oil. Anyway....

I get 12 mpg of fuel without the trailer too. My diesel Unimog does not care what's back there..... it just goes.

I might go up on milage though once Im all outfitted. Will have Water/Alcohol injection. LP booste injection when needed on long upgrades and will be lighter since Im loosing the 1 ton metal box off the back. Will be adding a bed hitch to pull my 5er that will be mounted on 40" tall military tires
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The diesels are finally on the way. VW & Honda should have their diesel here in the next year or two. Subaru has a diesel Legacy out for Europe. 49 mpg hwy with AWD. A diesel CRV or Forester should be good for 25 - 30 mpg towing, and 40 mpg not towing; the European diesel CRV is rated for a 2,000 Kg. tow. Far from discouraging towing, they advertise a Trailer Stability Assist system. I hope my 98 Forester can hold out until they finally get here.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't been reading this topic, but I have a question regarding the European diesels vs US diesels... are they the same motor? I know the diesels in this country have to run low-sulpher diesel... that started in diesels built in 2008(?) and the fuel economy has gone down because of that. It's better for the environment, just not the fuel economy. The point, if they're not the same motor... don't expect to get the same MPG.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
I haven't been reading this topic, but I have a question regarding the European diesels vs US diesels... are they the same motor? I know the diesels in this country have to run low-sulpher diesel... that started in diesels built in 2008(?) and the fuel economy has gone down because of that. It's better for the environment, just not the fuel economy. The point, if they're not the same motor... don't expect to get the same MPG.
Good point, Donna. My understanding is that Europe has had clean diesel for some time, and that low-sulhur fuel becoming available in the US was one of the main reasons that we were not getting European diesels until now..
Same engine as far as I know.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #26

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I noticed about a 10 percent drop in fuel mileage when using the new low-sulfur diesel.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #27

Trailer: Trillium
I pulled with a 4 cylinder turbo last year, could only obtain 14mpg at around
100kmh (62mph). At the weigh scales it was about 2700lbs empty, so it was
a fairly good haul for my car since it's only rated to tow 3000lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	83593339.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	12807

This year I will be pulling a Trillium 4500 in hopes to be a bit lighter for a few more MPG.
The 17ft boler seems quite a bit bigger, so if I keep the speed down I'm hoping to get
closer to 20mpg.
Geoff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 2005 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
What about the price of Diesel? I don't know off hand the price of Bio Diesel but regular diesel right now is over .65 cents a gallon more expensive than regular gas. Tom
Tom & Virginia Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here in WA, diesel is more like $0.90 more than RUG. Someone in PA on another group said $1.00 there.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote