What is it about small travel trailers that attract attention? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
I completely agree with the cuteness factor, and the rounder the cuter - (I still think our ex-13' Burro cuter than our 17' Escape) because there is something innately attractive about roundness to most folks. Small also looks affordable, doable, manageable, as others have mentioned.

I also think there is some appeal to the 'inner child' in many folks - the child that made the cozy 'club house' out of the big appliance box; hung out in a small tent in the backyard all summer; had a tree house, a fort, a cubby hole in the house - a closet, a curtain hung under a stair well. Our little trailers appeal to that part of folks that still want to know the cozyiness, privacy, simplicity, the 'secretiveness', and fun found in childhood in all those small little places we made 'our own.' The shape, the size, has the potential for experiencing that again. When I peer into other's trailers I see those club houses, play houses, creative spaces - small, fun and cozy.

Anyway....that's my take on it!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #16

Name: Patty
Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Texas
Exclamation

I also agree with Peter's breakdown and assessment of the other camping options...making our fiberglass ideal.

As far as whether other people find the stickies cute, I say this: As a member of Sisters on the Fly, many of the members own the VINTAGE stickies, cuteness is definitely a factor - especially for those who have mac-daddy paint jobs on the outside. Attract attention? You bet! You get 5 or 6 of those babies going down the road in a caravan and trust me people notice.

With that in mind, I didn't go that route because of the fact that hubby and I are not handy people and there is always something being repaired on campers from the 50's and 60's. Did I say always? Leaking being a MAJOR problem. By the time we get to a campout invariably somebody's stickie has shaken itself loose somewhere and when do you find that out? In the middle of the night when it starts raining! And you should hear the ladies that don't have handy men talk about the bucks they are spending on the repairs too.....yikes. As cute as the vintage canned hams and others are, that just wasn't for me. And I'm far from being the only one who has gone the fiberglass route...many of the ladies have them now and some have both fiberglass and vintage...

Patty

Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #17

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
Being long time tenters, this years monsoons made us start noticing the casita's. burro's etc at campgrounds we were at.
The shell, unlike the rubber topped ones we have in and out where I work seemed a better choice and after imposing on a few people at different campgrounds , to see the insides of these things, decided a 13 was plenty for us and we'd be able to tow it with the Ranchero we take camping anyhow, only now we'll leave the tarps at home.
Used fgrv's are great buys in my opinion unless one hasta have the new. upkeep on one isnt alot really..most things I see or read of people doing are personal choices to style or comfort.....so not alot goes wrong.
We bought a used uhaul but think any of them gets the same job done with a different decal.
Yes they're cuter than others,especially the theme painted ones....teardrops remind me of the coffin car from the munsters or whatever from the 60's, though some of their tailgate cooking setups are pretty neat. We like this thing..Bruce & Mary
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #18

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Many would-be owners first are put off by the idea of towing a trailer, so they think motorhome. Then they realize that they will want a car for local transport. Then someone breaks it to them that you can't back up a motorhome when there is a car hitched to it. Then it becomes a dilemma, are trailers all that bad?

Then they see a FGRV and ask themselves, "is it possible to do so much with so little?"
Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Our 13' Burro got more people stopping than our UHaul does. One lady chased us down into a parking lot to get a tour when we had the Burro. Our 16' UHaul does get attention, but not as much. It seems like the guys often are most interested in milege while the gals comment on the cute factor. Both are surprised that it can have everything you need.

And I cannot tell you how many times we are told, "I didn't know UHaul rented trailers." We are trying to come up with something catchy or cute as an answer that phrase and have a spare tire cover made.

CindyL
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #20

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Our 13' Burro got more people stopping than our UHaul does. One lady chased us down into a parking lot to get a tour when we had the Burro. Our 16' UHaul does get attention, but not as much. It seems like the guys often are most interested in milege while the gals comment on the cute factor. Both are surprised that it can have everything you need.

And I cannot tell you how many times we are told, "I didn't know UHaul rented trailers." We are trying to come up with something catchy or cute as an answer that phrase and have a spare tire cover made.

CindyL
Hi: CindyL... How about "U Haul Girl" or "Not for Hire" on that Spare tire cover.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Frank LLoyd Wright called it "human scale", FGRV owners call it just enough space to "get it done"....

We never seem to go through a town without someone smiling, pointing, and waving. Sometimes, it's hard to get out of a campground because of the curiosity seekers... The ultimate was this summer in our sixty day tandem tour with us in our trailer and a friend with her Casita... double trouble, and double curiosity.

Personally, I think all the molded fiberglass trailers are interesting, and the owners I've met are fun-loving and approachable. Great combo!

Sherry

Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #22

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Exactly what Penney said! I was the kid who made blanket forts, box playhouses, etc. I didn't know it till I was sitting in the Perris Pacer, just looking around and feeling cozy, and I looked at my husband and said---"I KNOW WHY I LOVE THIS----it's the playhouse I always wanted!"
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #23

Name: Brandy
In Oregon last year a gal was taking a look inside asking questions, I pointed out the bunk beds, she laughted and replied "its like your own club house on wheels."

That and the puppy factor...who's going to go knock on the big dogs house asking to see inside...instead they go for the tiny itty bitty one
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Casita
One reason for the cuteness factor, comes from the fact that they are not all that common ( unless you are in the same campground as a rally being held) you don't see a ton of them like you do stickies. People always want to know more about the unknown. Pass a RV Storage lot and you see row's and row's of Stickies. It would be interesting to know the numbers produced of all "molded glass" compared to all the stickie's ever made I am sure stickie production far out weights molded glass. So there is one reason for the attraction. Having had a big rig park, I can assure you, people didn't run the big rigs down to look inside. I guess smaller is more approachable. I think anything unusual such as " molded fiberglass" or vintage restored are gonna draw more attention. Another reason is our parents/grandparents had small camping units (brings back camping memories from childhood), rv's in general didn't start getting bigger till the 70's and since then have been getting bigger and bigger. hmmmmmm, now your seeing them getting smaller and smaller. My how times have changed.

One guy even told me he had stalked us for miles and miles....... Just to see how the Casita pulled. ( could have been scary at 10:30 at night had I known he was stalking LOL)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Oh Yes, it's definitely the Cute factor.

What I can't ever figure out is the comment "Can you stand up in it" These people are looking a me, who is just a couple inches over 5 feet, standing next to a trailer that is without a doubt 2 feet plus taller than I.

They are even more amazed when I tell them I've got everything that the Bulgemobile next to me has except a shower.

These little trailers are just darn cute. Heck, I'm always looking at mine and thinking the same thing. Maybe that's why it seems to draw me out to it for no reason.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
I'm with Vickie B ... "it IS the playhouse I always wanted". Guess that's why we're always having fun in our Egg! Cute ... YESSSS !!! L 'n D
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I guess smaller is more approachable. I think anything unusual such as " molded fiberglass" or vintage restored are gonna draw more attention.
Yep, even though the Scamp 5-er is large for a molded fiberglass trailer, it has a rather unusual shape and we get a plenty of people who stop us to chat about it. You never know who will be interested. I thought the Jack-In-The-Box staff would be curious after we pulled the 5-er through their drive-thru late one night, but no.... not a word. Then, out in the parking lot, someone drove 'round and 'round us in circles a couple times to have a look at the Scamp from all sides. It has happened several times while we park in a mostly empty parking lot to eat a late dinner. But I'm still caught off guard when people do that!

--Lynne
Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

We had tented for years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wildwood_wrangler.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	24472

This is the model tent we have, which is now $1600. Yes, sixteen hundred dollars for a tent. We bought ours in the 1960's for considerably less.

Never saw the logic in the large stickies. But camping last year I just decided I couldn't deal with roughing it in a tent anymore. Then a couple with a 16' Casita pulled into a site near us. I just had to go over for a look. I hadn't realized that such sensible sized trailers were made. Our Subaru is only rated for 2000#. So after investigation on the internet, we decided we could only pull a 13'. Through a thorough selection process, we settled on our Trillium, and never looked back.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote