What is it about small travel trailers that attract attention? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Frank LLoyd Wright called it "human scale", FGRV owners call it just enough space to "get it done"....

We never seem to go through a town without someone smiling, pointing, and waving. Sometimes, it's hard to get out of a campground because of the curiosity seekers... The ultimate was this summer in our sixty day tandem tour with us in our trailer and a friend with her Casita... double trouble, and double curiosity.

Personally, I think all the molded fiberglass trailers are interesting, and the owners I've met are fun-loving and approachable. Great combo!

Sherry

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Exactly what Penney said! I was the kid who made blanket forts, box playhouses, etc. I didn't know it till I was sitting in the Perris Pacer, just looking around and feeling cozy, and I looked at my husband and said---"I KNOW WHY I LOVE THIS----it's the playhouse I always wanted!"
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 77 Scamp
In Oregon last year a gal was taking a look inside asking questions, I pointed out the bunk beds, she laughted and replied "its like your own club house on wheels."

That and the puppy factor...who's going to go knock on the big dogs house asking to see inside...instead they go for the tiny itty bitty one
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 Casita
One reason for the cuteness factor, comes from the fact that they are not all that common ( unless you are in the same campground as a rally being held) you don't see a ton of them like you do stickies. People always want to know more about the unknown. Pass a RV Storage lot and you see row's and row's of Stickies. It would be interesting to know the numbers produced of all "molded glass" compared to all the stickie's ever made I am sure stickie production far out weights molded glass. So there is one reason for the attraction. Having had a big rig park, I can assure you, people didn't run the big rigs down to look inside. I guess smaller is more approachable. I think anything unusual such as " molded fiberglass" or vintage restored are gonna draw more attention. Another reason is our parents/grandparents had small camping units (brings back camping memories from childhood), rv's in general didn't start getting bigger till the 70's and since then have been getting bigger and bigger. hmmmmmm, now your seeing them getting smaller and smaller. My how times have changed.

One guy even told me he had stalked us for miles and miles....... Just to see how the Casita pulled. ( could have been scary at 10:30 at night had I known he was stalking LOL)
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Oh Yes, it's definitely the Cute factor.

What I can't ever figure out is the comment "Can you stand up in it" These people are looking a me, who is just a couple inches over 5 feet, standing next to a trailer that is without a doubt 2 feet plus taller than I.

They are even more amazed when I tell them I've got everything that the Bulgemobile next to me has except a shower.

These little trailers are just darn cute. Heck, I'm always looking at mine and thinking the same thing. Maybe that's why it seems to draw me out to it for no reason.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
I'm with Vickie B ... "it IS the playhouse I always wanted". Guess that's why we're always having fun in our Egg! Cute ... YESSSS !!! L 'n D
Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I guess smaller is more approachable. I think anything unusual such as " molded fiberglass" or vintage restored are gonna draw more attention.
Yep, even though the Scamp 5-er is large for a molded fiberglass trailer, it has a rather unusual shape and we get a plenty of people who stop us to chat about it. You never know who will be interested. I thought the Jack-In-The-Box staff would be curious after we pulled the 5-er through their drive-thru late one night, but no.... not a word. Then, out in the parking lot, someone drove 'round and 'round us in circles a couple times to have a look at the Scamp from all sides. It has happened several times while we park in a mostly empty parking lot to eat a late dinner. But I'm still caught off guard when people do that!

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

We had tented for years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wildwood_wrangler.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	24472

This is the model tent we have, which is now $1600. Yes, sixteen hundred dollars for a tent. We bought ours in the 1960's for considerably less.

Never saw the logic in the large stickies. But camping last year I just decided I couldn't deal with roughing it in a tent anymore. Then a couple with a 16' Casita pulled into a site near us. I just had to go over for a look. I hadn't realized that such sensible sized trailers were made. Our Subaru is only rated for 2000#. So after investigation on the internet, we decided we could only pull a 13'. Through a thorough selection process, we settled on our Trillium, and never looked back.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #29

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Oh yeah, Penney, you hit on a big one

I think that's why I love looking at the inside photos so much. I mean, I know pretty much what's going to be in there - there's only so much you can do - and yet.... I love to look! I think it is like you said -- that effect of looking into a tree-house or a fort (or having one ) that is one of the big neato parts.

When I'm in my Boler I just look around and think "Here is all is, my own little egg, everything I need at arm's length!"
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Oh Vickie - thank you for thinking of that! I just knew that I felt cozy and very good sitting on the bed that takes up most of the trailer, reading while my two dogs lolled nearby - on that bed I could have two Great Danes. Propped up with pillows, light from window or lamp, curtains I made in colors I love and right next door to bed? The stove where I can make real coffee instead of pretend.

As a child, everywhere we moved, I made a little home of my own in the backyard somewhere. Now I know why I am so comfortable with the Compact II and smile a lot when around it. And I thought I was being good and providing way for dogs to travel comfortably with me. All I was doing was being 8 years old again and loving it.

Thanks Vickie,
Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
I don't think I like the direction this is heading. Not to offend anyone but the last thing I owned that someone called cute was a Pontiac Fiero. Before discovering that it was a miserable piece of cr*p my wife mentioned that she thought it was cute. Not exactly the kind of description a guy wants to hear about his car. Awesome - OK, nice - OK, bad - OK, anything but cute. I hated the car every since, even before it fell apart. So, without realizing it earlier, I'm now glad that we moved beyond cute and into the ordinary at least.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I babysit 3 grandkids Mon-Fri-they like to play in our Compact Jr. I make lunch for them and they enjoy a camp out in the garage in the camper. We have coloring books and crayons in the camper for them. They stay there for hours just having fun at grandmas.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Our 13' Burro got more people stopping than our UHaul does. One lady chased us down into a parking lot to get a tour when we had the Burro. Our 16' UHaul does get attention, but not as much. It seems like the guys often are most interested in milege while the gals comment on the cute factor. Both are surprised that it can have everything you need.

And I cannot tell you how many times we are told, "I didn't know UHaul rented trailers." We are trying to come up with something catchy or cute as an answer that phrase and have a spare tire cover made.

CindyL
how bout......Rented IT,Kept IT

or Rented/Never returned

Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
My 13 footer (actually 10 ft) ain't all that cute when the weather is bad and the only place to sit is on the bed or on a sling chair on the floor.
I can last for about 3 hours before "trailer fever" pushes me out bad the storm.
I think people think they are cute because they don't how cramped it is inside.
Also they are unusual because so few are sold for- good reason.
My driveway is too small for anything longer so I do the best I can with my "Scrimp".
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
My 13 footer (actually 10 ft) ain't all that cute when the weather is bad and the only place to sit is on the bed or on a sling chair on the floor.
I can last for about 3 hours before "trailer fever" pushes me out bad the storm.
I think people think they are cute because they don't how cramped it is inside.
Also they are unusual because so few are sold for- good reason.
My driveway is too small for anything longer so I do the best I can with my "Scrimp".
If you get tired of sitting in there....try standing ...jk I think maybe a 16/17 would be better for you...maybe
Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We know small fiberglass trailers are not for everyone. Usually those that have one enjoy it. It may be about expectations. If I thought I needed to be as comfortable as I am at home... I'd just stay there. It's about going places I've never been (or at least lately), meeting new people, and making memories. As long as I can get a good night's sleep (thank you electric blanket!), have my ONE cup of coffee in the morning.... I'm a happy camper!

Steve maybe on of these terms would work for you?
delightful
endearing
appealing
charming
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #37

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Donna - Better than cute but none in the direction I would prefer. That's OK, I'm content to blend in with the ordinary.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bruce:

We wouldn't dare call it that. Someone over on UHaulcamper was accused by his UHaul dealer of stealing his trailer. As a dealer, he had never heard of Uhaul renting the trailers and said that UHaul would never sell their property.

Even more people said it after we got our UHaul dealer's sign off ebay. It fits in the front window perfectly, so we have had people assume we were UHaul dealers advertising our trailer. So maybe we ought to make it say something like, "No, Uhaul does not rent trailers and neither do we." Or simply, "Nope, we bought it." (And we like the light too much to take it down.)

Cindy
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Bruce:

We wouldn't dare call it that. Someone over on UHaulcamper was accused by his UHaul dealer of stealing his trailer. As a dealer, he had never heard of Uhaul renting the trailers and said that UHaul would never sell their property.

Even more people said it after we got our UHaul dealer's sign off ebay. It fits in the front window perfectly, so we have had people assume we were UHaul dealers advertising our trailer. So maybe we ought to make it say something like, "No, Uhaul does not rent trailers and neither do we." Or simply, "Nope, we bought it." (And we like the light too much to take it down.)

Cindy
what are they gonna do? take it away from you?.not likely.....keep it short and snippy.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #40

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
I agree with the inner child thought. When I was in the 3rd grade i read a story about a woman who traveled around England in a vardo (gypsy wagon). When I turned the page and saw a drawing of it, I was hooked. Think about it, we all have gypsy wagons.
Plus, there is the "coolness" factor. How many times have you heard, "That is just too cool!" Face it, we're hip.

Susi
Susi M is offline   Reply With Quote