What is it that gives forums their personality? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I am an active member of a few different forums, and lately I have been noticing the large differences in their “personalities”. Some forum’s are strictly combat. Statements of opinion are met by vitriolic personal attacks. These forums tend to be automotive, which may attract a younger audience. Some forum’s are dry and antiseptic, and really lack personality; occasionally good for some basic information, but not much more. Fiberglassrv is, to me, almost the perfect forum. It is populated by warm, interesting people, who will go a long way to provide information they have gathered through personal experience. You can express your own experience without fear of attack So what’s the magic? Certainly, the Moderators are critical. I suppose the forum subject attracts a specific population. Opinions?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
I think what makes this forum special is the moderators attitude and knowledge. Knowing what they are talking about really helps which encourages others to ask questions without fear of being made to look stupid.
Keep it up folks.
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
" I think what makes this forum special is the moderators attitude and knowledge"

And a little SOAP goes a long way.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Flying monkeys. Gina (the moderator) has them. We fear them.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Thinking a little more seriously than just flying monkeys, I think it really helps that many of us actually go to fiberglass gatherings and physically meet one another "face-to-face" now and then. People tend to be more civil when they have physically met many of the the people they're interacting with.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #6

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Quote:
I am an active member of a few different forums, and lately I have been noticing the large differences in their “personalities”. Some forum’s are strictly combat. Statements of opinion are met by vitriolic personal attacks. These forums tend to be automotive, which may attract a younger audience. Some forum’s are dry and antiseptic, and really lack personality; occasionally good for some basic information, but not much more. Fiberglassrv is, to me, almost the perfect forum. It is populated by warm, interesting people, who will go a long way to provide information they have gathered through personal experience. You can express your own experience without fear of attack So what’s the magic? Certainly, the Moderators are critical. I suppose the forum subject attracts a specific population. Opinions?
great post.. and i totally agree
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, I try to leave the monkeys at home when I go to rallies.

Thank you for the compliments. We like to keep things on an even keel here.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I think the central theme of this forum has a lot to do with it. There's a rarified quality about our fiberglass trailers that makes those who frequent this forum, a closer-knit group of individuals with a singularly unique common trait... we are blessed with a common experience, we all know how much enjoyment these little eggs produce and readily want to share in our joy.

I'm not one who has much use for discussion forums but I make a visit here daily to read new stuff and learn more and more.

ConwayBob
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
As well as the care offered by the moderators I wonder if "camping" is common thread that gives a openess and welcoming feel. When I go into a campground I feel like I leave a harsher world behind. There are people of all ages with a respect and gentleness enjoying the outdoors. We leave behind our campsite and possessions and head to the beach with a common level of trust that is accepting of a common set of values and respect and a minimum of fear. I get to see young children: learning to ride bicyles, playing games, enjoying the playground and making new friends with children a campsite over etc.; seniors join in nature hikes and interpretation programs; young couples enjoy themselves and also offer a wave to people walking by.

I also suggest that with smaller rigs, we spend more time outdoors, connecting with others sharing the outdoors and a similar interest. That feeling just gets translated into words and intonation , on the digital forum.

Makes you smile doesn't it. Just can't beat camping.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi, all - this forum is definitely a "kinder, gentler" place than, for instance, another forum specific to a certain brand of FGRV. The folks there often feel free to really get in each other's face over ideas that, in the big picture, aren't earth shattering or anything. I would be very intimidated to post there, in case anyone thought I was completely ignorant, whereas here I feel comfortable to display my lack of knowledge. After all, the only way to learn is to admit you don't know something. Respect for the other members and concern for all seems to be the rule here rather than the exception.

ConnieB
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Merry Christmas everyone.

The comments here make me feel so good. It is exactly why we started this site and put up with all the Hacking and issues that have come up.

I’m glad so many people find this work of love so enjoyable and comfortable.

Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Merry Christmas everyone.

The comments here make me feel so good. It is exactly why we started this site and put up with all the Hacking and issues that have come up.

I’m glad so many people find this work of love so enjoyable and comfortable.

Mike
YUP- - --certainly enjoy this site... and A Merry Christmas back at ya Larry
Attached Thumbnails
22_SEP_07_006.jpg  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
Quote:
...Respect for the other members and concern for all seems to be the rule here rather than the exception.
ConnieB
I have often wondered about this question myself. I think ConnieB answered the question.
Ray P
Ray P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Thinking a little more seriously than just flying monkeys, I think it really helps that many of us actually go to fiberglass gatherings and physically meet one another "face-to-face" now and then. People tend to be more civil when they have physically met many of the the people they're interacting with.
Sadly, I have to disagree with the above. I have been a member of a Usenet RV group for almost 15 years, and some folks there fight tooth and nail in cyberspace. We have actually held campouts where folks met one another, and while most were more civil after meeting one another, several actually got worse, coming almost to physical blows. However, I still enjoy that group even if the vast majority of posts are Off Topic -- It's kind of like a family; even though it may be dysfunctional, it's still family
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....I think firstly its the people and then the tie that binds us, our trailers!!

IF ya look closely enough at Larry's (above) posted pic, he's holding his 'Over The Hill' mug (typically) UPSIDE DOWN, rotflmbo!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I have wonderd about that too, why this forum is so warm and welcoming.

This is the first forum I joined, and was surprised and dismayed how MEAN the next ones were. I vacated those sites -- fast!

Hey, maybe that's it -- FGRV owners can vacate unseemly sites fast!

Merry Crispness, all.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Everyone is welcome here, but not everyone can get in.
Quote:
Originally posted by Registration and Use Policies
Again, when registering, use your real name, not a screen name (e.g., EggOwner). We feel it makes the website more friendly. If you're not comfortable using your last name, i.e. John Doe, then just use John D. Registrations with aliases or screen names will be removed.
The above is like a prime directive; such an elegant and simple rule. I think it is the root of our personality. An alias only helps you hide. I have nothing to hide, here.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I was asked the name of the usenet group that is often on the other end of the congeniality spectrum from MFROG and it is:

rec.outdoors.rv-travel

I get to it through Google:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.outdoor...r=&ie=UTF-8

Real names are not required.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Yes I have been a member of this group many years now AND IT IS THE BEST. My reasons are the easy to post format . The avitar thing , when I read a post I can quickly glance over and see where this person is comming from. The mixture of people Some forums are all grosley opiniated Men And of corse the monitors Bad taste posts don't last long. And i am sorry to say that I belive I missed my contribution last year and i will take care of that now. I would like to see this one last.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Part of the civility of this forum, I believe, is the thing that draws us together. Having a fiberglass trailer means a certain level of financial comfort — we can afford our small toys — but not the ostentatious wealth required to own some of the big toys. Of course I know there are individuals here who could buy anything they want, but as a general rule most of us are people of modest means who worked for and earned what we have, and are content with our small trailers because they suit us and our lifestyles. I think that means we each have self-respect, and respect for others who have "paid their dues."
And as others have said, the moderators are superb in keeping us on the straight and narrow so that when we do meet in person we mind our ps and qs (for fear of flying monkeys).
For whatever the reasons, this forum is the best - helpful, informative and friendly. Hope everyone has a great holiday.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote