What is it worth? 13' Egg Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Howdy gang - this is my first post here, so I'll give a quick intro then my question.

I am from Texas, near Houston, and do a lot of fishing and kayaking. Currently building a canoe and have plans to build a powerboat too. Married, with a 7year old boy, He is autistic, and loves to go fishing and spending time on the beach with me. This summer I was hopeing to start camping on the beach with him, which leads me to my question-

I came across this camper for sale today. I'm thinking it would make a nice Beach Camper. Not in the best of shape, but it looks fix-up-able. Shell is fiberglass, maybe 13' long(?). All windows & the door look OK. From the outside, it still looks weather-proof. Inside is a mess, double (?) bed and what looks like it used to be a sitting area/table (Table an bench need work). No kitchen (stove or sink). Lady said it has a "Nice port-o-potty" and a small A/C than she thinks might work ( ). I didn't get to go inside -it was locked (consignment lot). I didn't check out the axles and springs. The big round thing on the front looks like a home-made water tank (?) - 10" PVC, and it has a receiver-type utility basket on the back. Also, don't know the make, either. Looks kinda like a Scamp, but not sure - the door seems in the wrong place, I think. (I don't know much about campers, so it could be anything)

She was asking about $1800, but that was about twice what I was thinking of offering while looking at it. I have no idea how much is fair, though. I didn't make an offer. Gotta talk the wife into it first (that is, get permission )

So, what is it worth? $500? $2000? I have no real idea. I don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to sleep, and to make sandwitches without getting sand in them. A/C would be nice, but not required.

(sorry for the pic, Cell phone camera, not much light, but you can see the general style)

Thanks,
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
tiny_camper.jpg  
Jerry Gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
It's not a Scamp. It might be an old Casitas, they have that type wheel wells.

As to what it's worth...... I'd want to have a closer look at everything, especially the inside and undercarriage. I think it's overpriced from what you say but I'm frugal (LOL!).

There is a check list here to take when you look at trailers, it's the link over on the left "Buyers check list". It helps you think to look at all the important stuff. That way you can have an idea what it will take to get it on the road.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
And welcome to the board!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As Lizbeth said, welcome to FiberglassRV..we're glad you're here!

What's it worth

The tube on the front isn't a water tank, it looks like a place to store either an awning/screen room or poles or maybe a patio rug. Certainly nothing to heavy. If it were alot smaller, I'd think it would be the stinky slinky tub ala Scamp.

Brand, dont' know that either. But when you find out, we'd sure like to know. And more pictures, even from a camera phone would be good
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We have found that fiberglass trailers are priced about double what a similar stick built trailer is priced at. And for the security and repairablity of a fiberglass trailer they are worth the extra. Cushions are easy to fix, tanks can be replaced. If not this trailer, we hope you find a nice one that works for you. Use the check list and maybe we will see you guys on the road some time.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I can't tell what it is, but it's not a Boler (seam area is wrong, for instance).

The metal part on the leading edge of the side window looks like the rain deflector which is normally used over a window or door. That's fine, except that I would look inside for water damage to the wall lining or cabinets from water coming in around the window, in case that's why a previous owner added the deflector.

The cylinder on the front looks like a holder for a sewer hose, except that it's much larger diameter than necessary. I hope it isn't a tank of any kind in that position.

I don't see a refrigerator vent on this side shown, which is where kitchen is normally located. Either the 'fridge is on the other side (unlikely) or (more likely) the trailer has just an icebox. Some people prefer an icebox, but I would consider the lack an expensive appliance a reason to not pay too much.

The vent cover on top looks a little unusual. Other than that, it looks like a pretty typical "egg" to me.

The nice thing is that as long as the shell is sound and the frame is generally sound (they're somewhat fixable...) several members here have proven that a great trailer can be made from humble beginnings. If your boy can help with the renovation, that process itself could be rewarding.

Prices are very dependent on condition and local market forces, so I have no idea of a fair price, but US$1800 sounds like just a starting point for negotiation downward.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the replys guys.

To add a few things -
The PVC "Thing" on the front had a 1/2" PVC tapped into the bottom (it ran under the trailer), and what looked like an air hose connection tapped into the top - that is why I was guessing watertank. End caps looked glued on, so not storage for hoses or other stuff.

Camper was locked, but no curtins, so all I know about the inside is what I could tell from looking in. The inside was kinda a mess - looked like they didn't clean up after their last trip out - blanket and sheets and "Stuff" covered the bed and floor. There were no cabinets that I could see, and no kitchen (sink/stove) that I could see (Good point, no sink, why have a pressurized water tank? I guess the PVC is for somthing else, or there is a sink I couldn't see) There was a small counter area in the corner; the dinett table looked broke, and the dining seating was "not right" (I can't remember what I thought was wrong)

Despite the mess, there was no visable mildew, so hopefuly the windows don't leak.

Oh, I didn't see a LP tank or connection either.

My first impression was that someone else got it as a project, gutted it, then "lost enthusesam" for the project. Would not be much demo work, but a kitchen/closet would be a "ground up" kinda project.

Anyway, I'll try to get by there again soon and get a few better pics of it.

Thanks, All!

Jerry

Edit: on thing I forgot - the front window was an aluminum plate - and was only about the soze of a window a/c unit. The actual A/C (a small window unit) is under the PVC thing-a-ma-dobber. That window was the only exterior blem I remember.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #8

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Now that's a really odd looking puppy...

I've seen SOME Scamps with a front window roughly that size and location... The general shape seems pretty standard too.

I don't think I've ever seen an egg with the side window in that location however. The drip rail is mounted to the SIDE of the window (should be above the window), which is just darn wierd.

Roof vent thing is far more forward than I've seen them on any standard Egg.

At least in the angle of that photo - I can't see the usual raised section down the center of the top of the trailer. Looks almost like the roof is actually flat. I believe that was only the case on the first run of 100 or so Bolers from the original manufacturer in Canada. Course - the window and vent are all wrong for a Boler...

My gut instinct would be that the trailer was purchased somehow as a kit and the original owner got creative. I've seen a scan of an ad where Scamp sold trailers as kits. That'd be my guess - but I wouldn't place a bet on it.

Got any more pictures???

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #9

Ok, I stopped and took a better look, and some more pics.

First, though - the make is a WISP!

What? A Wisp? A quick i-net search turns up nothing.

I got a better look inside, it is not as bad of shape as I had first thought. Table is ok, Still no Stove, but there is a HUGE sink, mounted where I had expected to see the dinet seat. This sink is one of those 3'x3'x1.5'tall janitor sinks About the right sizeand place to double as a bench for the table (with a cover board) and big enough to stand in and take a shower, maybe? Oh, and it looks like the sink drains straight out the bottom of the trailer - no tank,valve or anything

Looking at the interior walls, someone definatly took down some cabinets and stuff - you can see the mounting points in the FG walls still. Very quick and rough job.

Another note - I don't think the trailor the "Egg" is sitting on is origonal - looks like a home-made job - the "utility rack" on the back of the trailer is part of the trailer - not a recever plug-in. The up side to this is the axle,springs,and trailer beams are all in decent shape - lots of surfise rust, but it still look save-able, but needs to be painted or somthing.

And that PVC tank? I still think it is a water tank - even has an outside spigot off the bottom pipe tap. Supported by 2" steel channel, with steel pipe support "shoes".

Anyway, here is some more pics - Door side, rear, and inside. Th inside pic was taken thru a window and a bug screen, so you can't see much. On the right is the big sink, left is a counter, middle is the table, forground is the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
mini_camper_2.JPG   mini_camper_rear.JPG  

mini_camper_inside.JPG  
Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok, I stopped and took a better look, and some more pics.

First, though - the make is a WISP!

What? A Wisp? A quick i-net search turns up nothing.
A WISP? Hey, we've talked about WISPs on FiberglassRV, and trust me, the one you're looking at is in better shape than the ONE we've seen here Don't think anyone owns one either

Check out this link from last February: Mystery Trailer, Time for another one

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Donna, You beat me to it!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Donna, You beat me to it!
Quick Draw McGraw Here!!

Jerry, I don't know if you're serious about this trailer or not, but let's say for conversation you are...don't get hung up on what the trailer DOESN'T have, but think of the possibilities. I'm thinkin' right now, if you and your son were to go camping, you'd probably do it in a tent? Consider this trailer a hard-sided tent...only better. You'd sleep in a secure place, off the ground, away from bugs and bad weather. If it's gutted, or needs to be in order to make it the way you want...you have an opportunity to make it uniquely your own. Many members have fully self contained trailers and still chose to cook outside on gas stoves, etc. Lots of trailers have ice boxes, not refrigerators and that's not much of a stretch from a cooler.

etc., etc., etc.

Best of luck
Old 01-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #13

Donna, you hit the nail on the head.

What I am looking for is a basic "Hard Tent".

However, I think I might pass on this one - after looking at all the pic of Scamps and others today, I am thinking of getting one a little more outfitted for "Wife Comfort".

But who knows, if it is still around in a month or three, I may have to get it.

Thanks for the link to the other Wisp thread - the photo on page 3 makes the Wisp look really nice.

Thanks all, I'll probably be lurking around for a while...

Jerry
Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The PVC "Thing" on the front had a 1/2" PVC tapped into the bottom (it ran under the trailer), and what looked like an air hose connection tapped into the top - that is why I was guessing watertank. End caps looked glued on, so not storage for hoses or other stuff.
Quote:
...And that PVC tank? I still think it is a water tank - even has an outside spigot off the bottom pipe tap. Supported by 2" steel channel, with steel pipe support "shoes"...
With the extra detail, I agree that is sounds like a water tank - probably one pressurized by compressed air instead of using a pump. That would help explain the (otherwise undesirable) high mounting, the air fitting, and the use of large pipe instead of a rectangular box shape.

It's interesting, and if you don't want to use it, it can just be discarded.

Quote:
...Oh, and it looks like the sink drains straight out the bottom of the trailer - no tank,valve or anything ...
A direct grey water discharge is not unusual on a older and smaller trailer. Even current designs may not have a tank, although they do have a fitting for a hose so the greywater can be drained to a suitable container. Not a big deal, since the appropriate current fitting could easily be added.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Jerry,

Considering how your trailer stumped so many folks here, looks like if you bought it, you might have a collectable one. It is less than we paid for the Burro last May. We added what it took to make it comfortable for me and had a good time working on it together. I was not a camper prior to getting the Burro.

Lots of ideas and helpers on this forum if you do buy it. We would have to add another category.

CindyL

Tags
eggcamper