What is the best route: Northern New England to Springfield, Ill? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
What is the best route: Northern New England to Springfield, Ill?

Hi, I'm Scamping part way across the country and wondering what route to take? From Southern New Hampshire to Springfield, Ill. Any advice?
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Whatever you do, get off I90 before Cleveland. It's rush hour all day there.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I90 to I88 to I79 to I80 to I76 to I74 to I 72

Hampton, NH
Albany, NY
Binghamton, NY
Eirie, PA
Akron, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Springfield, IL

I generally try to stay away from cities and toll road. This is about 1250 miles, The shortest route thru northern Ohio (Cleveland) is about 1190.

Actually we avoid this whole stretch when going west and loop across Canada soming in at Sault ST Marie.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Hi, I'm Scamping part way across the country and wondering what route to take? From Southern New Hampshire to Springfield, Ill. Any advice?
There's a fiberglass rally at Nashville Indiana in two weeks, if you are just traveling and have the time.
Also Turkey Run in Indiana is a great campgound and a good stop on your way.

Karen K. wrote this...

Oct. 14-16, 2011: Brown County State Park. Indiana
There will be a small informal get together in Brown County State Park, Oct 14-16. The park is near Nashville, Indiana. There are a lot of things to do nearby, shopping, wineries, and beautiful scenery. I have reserved site 358 in Taylor Ridge Electric. Hope some of my fellow FGRV friends can join me. Book your site soon as the park fills up real fast in October.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
There were no campsites at Brown County that weekend, unless something opened up in the last two days.

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

New Hampshire
Thanks! This looks like the consensus from a couple of different sources now.
I wondered about the Canadian possibility, but don't want to give an additional rabies vaccination to my canine traveling companion.
Looks quite a bit longer, too, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I90 to I88 to I79 to I80 to I76 to I74 to I 72

Hampton, NH
Albany, NY
Binghamton, NY
Eirie, PA
Akron, OH
Columbus, OH
Indianapolis, IN
Springfield, IL

I generally try to stay away from cities and toll road. This is about 1250 miles, The shortest route thru northern Ohio (Cleveland) is about 1190.

Actually we avoid this whole stretch when going west and loop across Canada soming in at Sault ST Marie.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Aw, thanks for the invites! I'm on a mission with this trip though, it's to attend the dog agility championships in Ill. for the week, then heading right back home and back to work. I don't think I can really plan my layovers ahead of time and am planning to take my chances with what campgrounds I can find using the "Next Exit" book.
Maybe next trip! I'd like to torture myself (and my husband) by looking at everyone's remodeled eggs sometime!
-Heidi
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
This thread moved to General Chat - where it might be seen by more people who can advise you.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #9

New Hampshire
NH to IL route worked great! Thanks!

I took the Albany - Buffalo - Cleveland - Columbus - Urbana - Springfield suggestion, had light traffic ( it was on a weekend and the holiday Monday ) and went through a few one lane construction zones but it didn't really slow things down because traffic was so light. There was one section I didn't like that took me through a couple of miles of downtown Indianapolis and the road was being paved and the manholes were sticking up (Poor Scamp!) but I slowed way down, put on my hazards, stuck to the right lane and we did ok. The Scamp and Element combo drove fine and I found that my mileage was 14 mpg at 67 mph, and went up to 18 mpg at 62 mph. I think I'll take the same route back but I'll look for some way around Indianapolis. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Quote:
I took the Albany - Buffalo - Cleveland - Columbus - Urbana - Springfield suggestion, had light traffic ( it was on a weekend and the holiday Monday ) and went through a few one lane construction zones but it didn't really slow things down because traffic was so light. There was one section I didn't like that took me through a couple of miles of downtown Indianapolis and the road was being paved and the manholes were sticking up (Poor Scamp!) but I slowed way down, put on my hazards, stuck to the right lane and we did ok. The Scamp and Element combo drove fine and I found that my mileage was 14 mpg at 67 mph, and went up to 18 mpg at 62 mph. I think I'll take the same route back but I'll look for some way around Indianapolis. Thanks everyone!
Are you in Springfield now? I live here and have been considering a 13 Scamp. Would it be possible to take a peek at yours?

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Quote:
Thanks!
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Loop Roads

When we take that route we never go thru downtown. We always take a loop road around the city; though a little longer they are generally faster. Certainly they produce less anxiety..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #13

Name: George
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Texas
Did you show your dog or just go to cheer someone on? If you participated, how did it go?
Gchilds17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Well, I survived the drive home too, but the GPS still took me through Indy. I thought I had programmed a way around to the south but must have messed up. I did not have a good experience in Indy, stopped for gas (a mistake) and was accosted by a panhandler at the gas station. Then in New York I discovered that the hitch ball had come loose at some point and I couldn't tighten it up without a wrench big enough, so I just tightened it as much as I could by hand. I should have stopped and dealt with it, but I just wanted to get home. No accident, but my husband enlightened me as to what could have happened if the ball shaft had broken in transit. Stupid stupid stupid me.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Thanks for asking! We did not compete in Championships, we didn't quite make the cut, but we did compete in a pre-trial they had there, which was sort of a warmup for everyone, and on a team which was really fun. And we cheered for everyone, watched a lot, and helped out too. Quite a couple of weeks it was, I hope we can go again in a few years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs in Texas View Post
Did you show your dog or just go to cheer someone on? If you participated, how did it go?