What is the current Build Time now? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
What is the current Build Time now?

I ordered a Snoozy ( Aug 2017 ) & looks like the build time current time is 20 months.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
I ordered a Snoozy ( Aug 2017 ) & looks like the build time current time is 20 months.

Are they paying competative interest on that significant down payment they require?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
WOW - that is right up there with elephant gestation period. That is NUTS!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I personally think there are too many other choices out there. I know nothing about the Snoozy, but the camping grounds are full of other small camping trailers that do a nice job and owners are very happy with them. I also look at what if the trailer needs repairs from damage, would probably have to go back to Snoozy, how long would it take, two, three, four years for repairs and just maybe they wouldn't ever work on it, or have parts. Always something to think about. When we purchased our Casita they have a repair shop that will work on the damage trailers if needed, we also just looked at an Airstream and they have a large repair shop for damaged trailers. Now that's one extreme to the other, but find out before you purchase and see what your options are if something happens. I always try to know my answers before I purchase just for piece of mind.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO I'd be more concerned about a warranty on any trailer and how the manufacturer handles repairs than if they've got a large onsite repair shop. The manufacturers shop may be important to you if you live within close proximity, not so important if you're all the way across the country. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I personally think there are too many other choices out there...
From what I can see, there is nothing else quite like a Lil Snoozy with its full cored fiberglass shell, galvanized frame, aerodynamic shape, and efficient, open layout with ample headroom for taller people. That’s probably why some people are willing to endure the long wait times.

I’d think twice when it gets beyond a year, though, especially a small operation like Lil Snoozy. A lot can happen in that time with a small business. I think they would do well to reduce the initial deposit to no more than $1000 and not require the 40% until, say, a month or two before they start the actual build. Holding so much cash so long gives at least the appearance of a cash flow problem. Since they outsource the shell and the trailer chassis, there's some justification for a large deposit to cover those major components, as long as I'm paying for mine and not someone else's.

Repair... most molded manufacturers that sell factory direct have provisions in the warranty for 3rd party repair with factory pre-approval. It’s worth investigating how well that works with a particular manufacturer. Major appliances carry separate warranties.

Fiberglass repair shops are not hard to find, and everything else is standard RV work.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Are they paying competative interest on that significant down payment they require?
Nope. He depends on a Boat company to make the shells. If they get a large order in, Snoozy has to wait.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post

Hi Jack! Wow, I am surprised that the wait has gone up to 20 months. I thought our 9 month wait was long when we ordered in November 2016. The Snoozy has become a very popular choice and everyone wants one. Hopefully though they will be able to catch up on their orders and you'll have your camper soon!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The last I heard it was 14 months. Richard keeps getting further behind. However he keeps selling trailers. We bought ours in 2014 and have been very pleased with it. The process will self adjust as the build time stretches out. Not taking away from the other fine FG trailers but LIL Snoozy has some very desirable features.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #10

Virginia
I was told if they stay on schedule early April. Holding my breath. Yea the simplicity of the Snoozy sold us. But if I had know how long it was going to take, I may had gotten a Escape instead. BUT it's almost here now & getting excited. We even signed up for one year Thousand trails. My wife is retired & I retire next March. My work schedule is four day on four days off. So we are going to be hitting the road as much as we can. We tried it 20 years ago, but because of life events, we only went out twice & ended up selling it. It was a Trailmanor. Sold in 1 day.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Richard and his father are the owners of Lil Snoozy. I heard they completed paying of the purchase a few months ago. I also heard that Richard's father controls the cash and releases it when a build starts. My guess is that they have the large down payment, 1. because people would pay it and 2. it enabled them to pay off the company sooner with the help of interest money. Also, because they are trying to ramp up production, the shells are not manufactured by the boat builder any more, but by a composites company in Columbia. In my humble opinion, I think they really need to build another set of molds. They have a really good design and I think they are leaving the door open for a competitor with a similar design.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #12

Virginia
Thanks CarlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Richard and his father are the owners of Lil Snoozy. I heard they completed paying of the purchase a few months ago. I also heard that Richard's father controls the cash and releases it when a build starts. My guess is that they have the large down payment, 1. because people would pay it and 2. it enabled them to pay off the company sooner with the help of interest money. Also, because they are trying to ramp up production, the shells are not manufactured by the boat builder any more, but by a composites company in Columbia. In my humble opinion, I think they really need to build another set of molds. They have a really good design and I think they are leaving the door open for a competitor with a similar design.
Carl Good to know. Yea we love the design now as much as when my wife found it. After looking around, the Snoozy still is perfect for us. If they can get the wait time back down it would relieve a lot of stress. Still waiting to see what the other Fiberglass is wait time is.
Like I said I ordered mine in Aug 2017 & the latest information we were told Due date April.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Name: Gene
Trailer: 31' Airstream - Downsizing
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
the shells are not manufactured by the boat builder any more, but by a composites company in Columbia.
Do you know who the Composites company is?
Gulfbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #14

Name: Barrett
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
why not check out trillium or escape

if you don't mind a long trip to take delivery
try escape trailers in chilliwack bc or trillium outback trailers in calgary
each has a good website and both answer phone calls for queries
the price is right with the us to candian exchange rate very good for yankees
and the wait time is way better
my trillium was like 5 months
oh, and just get any repairs thatcome up at a good shop where you live
Old 02-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #15

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
40% Deposit of the $25K+ total cost of the trailer UPFRONT at the time the order is placed?

Then a 20+ Month WAIT for the possible delivery of your trailer?

This is DISASTER waiting to happen for any type of economic slowdown!

If the manufacturer that has been in business for as long as Snoozy is not primary in the in house manufacture of the major components of their trailers such as the basic fiberglass shell begs the question WHERE'S ALL THE MONEY GOING from all the trailers they have already sold over the years????

That money has certainly NOT been re-invested back into their business!

Try and get your deposit back.

That should tell the tale if they are underfunded if they do not readily, willingly and quickly return your deposit without a bunch of BS reasons as to why it may take time to process your deposit refund request.

You can build a 20K square foot mansion in less time than it takes to get a new Lil Snoozy ordered and delivered.

We are talking about a small trailer here guys and gals

I'd run away as fast as I could from this manufacturer.

If I just "Had To Have One One Of These Snoozy's" I'd pay ALL the money for a good USED Snoozy, get on with my life and most importantly traveling and camping!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
My camping adventures could not wait 20 months for sure. I’d have to have a back up trailer for the interim.

As far as reinvesting in production facilities, many companies focus on design and rely on others for manufacturing. Apple comes to mind. Coca-Cola did this for over a century. Own the syrup, let someone else handle bottling and distribution.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It seems like some Lil Snoozy buyers are planning ahead for retirement, so perhaps the wait is part of the plan. Others are trade-up buyers, so they already have another trailer.

Used Snoozy’s are very, very rare. I’d guess many buyers of new ones would have taken that route if one had been available.

I’m not sure the analogies quite work, Bill. Apple and Coca-Cola have a good deal of control over their manufacturing/bottling subsidiaries. They have the purchasing clout to say, “You need to double your output, or we’ll find somebody else.”

Lil Snoozy appears to be using suppliers who fabricate major components as a side business. Basically they’re taking advantage of excess production capacity, which fluctuates according to their primary (marine) business, and over which LS has little control. Lil Snoozy is really more like an upfitter than a manufacturer.

At one time the wait for an Escape was well over a year, too. But because they manufacture their own shells, they were able to invest in additional capacity.

Scamp was also well over a year not long ago, may still be. They choose not to expand. I suspect they have learned what the “right size” is for them- RV manufacturing being highly cyclical- and stay the course.

Expand or hold. In-house or outsource. Wait or walk away. Everyone makes their own choices.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The other thing you need to remember about Lil Snoozy, is that they are highly customized. When I was there a month ago they were building a unit with custom painted cabinets and painted walls plus a lot of other deviations. There production is more like high end house building. I can tell you from experience that there is nothing in the shell that is level, plumb, straight, flat, square, etc., which, I am sure, is no different then other egg. Every piece of wood I install is scribe fitted! Needless to say we are having a blast building our own custom snoozy.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Still awaiting pictures of your progression Carl.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I'm not saying life is too short, but two years build time is one of those things that probably don't help matters with your life goals. If I had to wait two years for anything I'm sure I would have changed my mind and gone on to something else. We built a new home some seven years ago and it took seven months to build, I thought the time went by fairly quick as everyday I came by to see what was being done and everyday I could see some progress. Progress does settle the mind even if it's slow going, but no progress seams like a lifetime. I personally can't buy things that have that long of wait time, it's because life is too short to have to think about it everyday.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote