What is the water tank drain for? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Posts: 209
What is the water tank drain for?

After patching hundreds of holes from previous owners that obviously didn't know how to do anything right I am trying to eliminate the need to drill new holes myself that don't need to be drilled.

My question is what is the water tank drain for? It is exactly at the same level as the outlet for the pump so why can't you just empty the tank using the pump?

I thought I should also mention the stupidity of one PO that actually drilled holes through the shell to install a paper towel holder!
__________________

__________________
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
So you do not need Voltage to drain the tank.
__________________

__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,047
Registry
The water tank drain is exactly what it is called. It drains the tank through gravity. It isn't reliant on having power to run the pump. Just curious why you want to even use the pump to drain the tank. Open the dump valve and you're done.
__________________
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The water tank drain is exactly what it is called. It drains the tank through gravity. It isn't reliant on having power to run the pump. Just curious why you want to even use the pump to drain the tank. Open the dump valve and you're done.
I was just curious if it was really necessary since turning the faucet on is just as easy.
__________________
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dudley's Avatar
 
Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Posts: 664
Registry
Also good if your cooking outside, just use it like an external tap, great for a quick pot of tea I use it a lot.
__________________
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I was just curious if it was really necessary since turning the faucet on is just as easy.
If your not connected to electrical turning on the faucet will drain power from the battery.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
After patching hundreds of holes from previous owners that obviously didn't know how to do anything right I am trying to eliminate the need to drill new holes myself that don't need to be drilled.

My question is what is the water tank drain for? It is exactly at the same level as the outlet for the pump so why can't you just empty the tank using the pump?

I thought I should also mention the stupidity of one PO that actually drilled holes through the shell to install a paper towel holder!
Our 16 ft has the tank drain at the front and the outlet to the pump at the rear.
The tank has a flat bottom, and those outlets are up off the very bottom. So it is impossible to get all the water - or antifreeze - out. You have to tilt the rig down in front to get most of the juice out.
__________________
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Posts: 1,443
You can do a time-test. Use the pump to clean, drain the tank etc. When it comes time to repair, compare it to a $.50 drain valve.
__________________
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Also good if your cooking outside, just use it like an external tap, great for a quick pot of tea I use it a lot.
That would not work on mine. The spigot is inside, under the seat, above the floor.

Also, that short drain pipe catches all the dirt from the road. But, of course, you could clean and sterilize it before each use. Learn from the dairy farmers!
__________________
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Our 16 ft has the tank drain at the front and the outlet to the pump at the rear.
The tank has a flat bottom, and those outlets are up off the very bottom. So it is impossible to get all the water - or antifreeze - out. You have to tilt the rig down in front to get most of the juice out.
That's how mine is too. I installed a new 12 gallon in my 13 Scamp and it will be pretty tight to install the drain and water pump.
__________________

__________________
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plastic knob to drain water tank rotted again Karalyn Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 18 05-14-2013 07:21 AM
fresh water tank drain valve? MsRubyLu-Kathy Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 19 09-29-2012 04:37 PM
Hot Water Tank Drain Tamid Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 05-17-2011 02:20 PM
Trillium water tank drain John Perry Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 10-15-2007 09:59 PM
Water tank drain Lee Hillsgrove Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 07-01-2007 09:41 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.