What is this camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Edward
Trailer: In Market
Texas
What is this camper?

Can anyone tell me what this camper is called? No name on the camper at all...it's mounted on a Toyota small truck. A man in my town owns this and when I stopped & asked him about it, he says he thought it was a kit but wasn't sure...when he bought it he said all that he could find was a US Patent # inside of it which has been long lost--he thought these were also mounted on small Nissan trucks in the 70's or 80's as well.

He bought it and reworked some of the fiberglass for the window AC.

I want one but don't know where to start googling for a manufacturer name. He has had hundreds of offers to buy it but won't part with it.

Pics attached (I hope!)
Attached Thumbnails
Camper01.jpg   Camper02.jpg  

Camper03.jpg  
mojo2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #2

Name: sue
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Looks similar to an early Chinook
suelinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
It's similar to some of the Chinooks, (there are many variants), but appears it might be something else altogether.

I suspect that as with small molded fiberglass trailers such as the Boler, others jumped in and manufactured similar units.

Try Googling "toyota chinook fiberglass" and things like that. A "Sunrader" is also similar.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nia-37256.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: g
Trailer: none
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
It's similar to some of the Chinooks, (there are many variants), but appears it might be something else altogether.
.......snip........
correct -
It looks like (iirc) one of the NIKKY (Nickie? Nickey?) camper conversions. Don't remember how they spelled it.
G_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Chinooks

NOT a Chinook, neither the pop top model or the stand up version. (but similar) There are LOTS of other brands, like fiberglas trailers, they went into and Out of Business, changed names. I collect photos of the ones I see while traveling , and off the internet. This has a common shape but some features I've never seen before. You could google . . . David in Sonora (today)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo2600 View Post
Can anyone tell me what this camper is called? No name on the camper at all...it's mounted on a Toyota small truck. A man in my town owns this and when I stopped & asked him about it, he says he thought it was a kit but wasn't sure...when he bought it he said all that he could find was a US Patent # inside of it which has been long lost--he thought these were also mounted on small Nissan trucks in the 70's or 80's as well.

He bought it and reworked some of the fiberglass for the window AC.

I want one but don't know where to start googling for a manufacturer name. He has had hundreds of offers to buy it but won't part with it.

Pics attached (I hope!)
Could be an early Mirage. Google- micro mini class C motor homes and scroll down to the mini motor home pinterest site. Or try https:www.pinterest.com.pin/400609329323842793 There are some real interesting fiberglass rv's there.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Might have been a prototype that had a patent applied for but never made it into mass production. You can likely verify that with a patent search using the profile of the camper to match the drawings submitted for the patent. The patent application gives you the name of the person(s), sometimes a company name and a physical location.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote