What is your favorite Catalog? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
I agree, Lizbeth, I just couldn't resist. I don't really get that catalog.
With appologies to BOTH Morgan and Lizbeth (AND Austin Powers, of course)!!!!

MIS-Quoting from "Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery"...

[returning Morgan's personal property after reanimating him]
Quartermaster Clerk: One Copy of the Victoria's Secret Catalog.
Morgan: [to Lizbeth] That's not mine.
Quartermaster Clerk: One credit card receipt for Victoria's Secret Catalog signed by Morgan.
Morgan: I'm telling ya baby, that's not mine.
Quartermaster Clerk: One warranty card for Victoria's Secret Catalog, filled out by Morgan.
Morgan: I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby.
Quartermaster Clerk: One book, "Victoria's Secret Catalog And Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag Baby", by Morgan.
Sorry... Just couldn't help m'self!!!!!

Going to my room now...

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
To get Mike's thread back into a serious vein, my favorite catalogs are on the internet. I don't like printed catalogs although they can save some tissue money.

My least favorite catalog, however, is Harbor Freight.

I do purchase from Harbor Freight on occasion, but only if it's something I need and I don't care about quality.

You have to be extremely careful ordering from them, they have the same item at more than one price. They usually send out a flyer with 3 or 4 sheets stapled around it and those sheets offer 50% off.

A case in point: the latest flyer has an air nailer item number 40115-7CHB for 1/2 price, $19.99. In the main body of the circular, they have the same nailer item number 40115-3CHH for $39.99. If you miss the one on the front page and order from page 47, you pay the full price.

Caveat emptor.

Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Morgan has a really good point about catalog ordering. I just typically won't do it any more. Catalogs usually go straight from the mailbox to the recycle bin at our house. Any company who asks "what catalog number are you ordering from" so they can figure out which prices they have on what item is a red flag for me.

On-line shopping really gives the consumer the opportunity to find the best prices on items from companies who have the best customer service records. I buy a lot of photo 'stuff' and prices vary wildly, but many of the low-ball companies have TERRIBLE customer service as well.

I hope that the day of the paper catalog is close to being over.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Catalogues clutter my mailbox and go directly to the recycling bin - I hate 'em! Cabela's is the worst, with a catalog every other week. But if you want a lesson in frustration, just try to get off their mailing list!

Online catalogues are fine, and you only get 'em when you want 'em.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree that it is a waste to print unwanted catalogs, and I rely on on-line sources, but on the other hand that can be frustrating. The Coast catalog at Go-RV, for instance, is only available a page at a time, and I would certainly spend some time flipping through it and learning what is available if I could download one big file, or get it on paper.

I don't know if you would call the Dexter Axle literature a "catalog", but it is a great source of information about their products, complete with specific part numbers for ordering.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #20
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Being from Oklahoma, we like the kind with easy to tear out pages, no too many glossy pages.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Another fan of Cabela's and Bass Pro, Camping World to see what new gadgets are coming out.
Hi: Remember..."No job is done 'till the paper work is finished" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #21
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
I like the Pet Edge catalog. There is lots of good cheap stuff for my little furry critters in there. Camping world is fun to look at. I would rather brouse through a paper catalog than going online.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #22
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

Paper or Plastic

I consider catalogs and online browsing "Virtural Reality". I prefer Actual Reality: brick and mortar. I have wandered the isles of Home Depot so often that I almost have their inventory memorized. Same with Camping World. Old fashioned community hardware stores are favorites, a bonus is when you get to talk to the 80 year old proprietor!
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #23
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
While I enjoy browsing through most catalogs which come our way, one of my favorites is "Grainger's". Checking out the availability of parts and tools has been a lifelong habit that will probably continue until....the end.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #24
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Being that it's Christmastime, my favorite toy catalog is from Lilliput Motor Company. They have the most unique, elaborate, and off-the-scale priced toys anywhere...(Hey, I can dream can't I?)

Can you imagine a Live Stream OO scale Train, or a "1969 Ford GT 40 Mk I 1:12 scale Limited Edition 0f 1500"...( a model racecar only $859.50)
OOOOh! How 'bout a ’61 Airstream “Bambi” 1:43 Scale only $149.50

If you'd like to see the kinda stuff the "born with silver spoon in mouth crowd" put under their tree, check this out...

Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #25
Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi all, e-bay followed by cabelas tho e-bay is not a catalog I purchase a lot of my camping gear from there due to great prices .
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #26
Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
OK, I confess, Victoria's Secret .
I knew it!!!! I went to post that same answer and there you were. Kindred souls, or something, eh?
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #27
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD

The beanie propeller is spinning at a leisurely pace, about the speed of one of the ceiling fans at the Blue Parrot (Senor Ferrari's place, 'member?)

It spun up briefly during the summer. Inasmuch as I had bought an ATV and a new pickup to allow me to carry it in the back WHILE ALSO towing the Casita, it made hitching up a bit of a challenge. I could no longer see the hitch ball with my tailgate mirror device, Hitching Mirror.

Fortunately, in the old bag of planned for, paid for, but not yet installed improvements was a $30 (Buy It Now! price) wireless color TV camera (including automatic infrared feature for night backing up! Wireless Camera on eBay. Originally planned to be permanently installed at the back of the Casita (I had a very close call with a tree while backing into a site at night) it was instead mounted to a block of marine plywood (1/2" thick by about 3"x5") along with a 9v battery holder and a strong magnet. (Assorted holders and DC power connections from Mouser), http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=home) That and a small 12v LCD TV Casio TV (already had) sitting on the center console made hook up a breeze this summer.

Perhaps a small steel plate mounted at the rear of the Casita will allow the camera to still do double duty.

Anyhoo, I had visions of blasting through the woods on my ATV, wretched excess personified, burning fossil fuel, whooping and shooting my six shooters into the air, terrorizing wildlife and hikers alike. Sadly, Michigan doesn't allow shooting from an ATV and I don't have six shooters, and, well, hikers aren't allowed on the ATV trails. Kinda a bust all around!

Poking around the bag, I still see the 400 watt inverter to be hard wired to the battery along feeding an orange outlet (to signify inverter supplied power) to be installed in the side dinette footwell. However, that loud sucking sound I imagine I hear are the amp hours rushing out of my trailer battery.

Notice how I worked in e-catalog references to keep this note on topic!

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Steve L. is online now   Reply With Quote