What is your "job" on a campout? Or do you share all tasks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 AM   #15

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Thank you for your tips. Our Border is a very sweet dog but skittish. Probably why she barks at other dogs. She doesn't do well with anything new. Has separation anxiety. Barks in her crate when left. She will have to be on lead with me at all times. Even a X pen won't work. She will whine and bark to get next to us.

She does well in our fenced in backyard. Is friendly and loves the dogs next door on the other side of the shared border chain linked fence. She knows them.

She loves cheese. That may help when she spies a "stranger" or another new dog. We don't approach other dogs. I really feel guilty leaving her at the doggy "resort" even if it is a nice place.

We bought her long before we ventured back into camping. Had I known we were going back I would have had a much smaller dog. In fact the size of a pocket pooch I could carry in a doggy purse. That could have solved it all.

Wouldn't trade our sweetheart for anything. So it is what it is. If she gets enough very short term campouts close to home she may acclimate. I hope.

Poor doggy! My "job" will definitely be a full time dog glued to me momma.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #16

Tennessee
zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
ZZZZZZZZZZ
Glenn we can take it your job is to sleep.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #17

Tennessee
Multiple pets?

librarianocnj ,

Curious how do you walk your cat(s)?
Leash or do they follow along nicely?
Sounds like you have a podful of pets.
I love animals too.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #18

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I'll back in the trailer and set it up...and do 90% of cooking...Wife does all the pre-trip packing (all but my clothes)
She does help with the backing up and the cranking down of leveling legs.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #19

Tennessee
Great partnership

Gerry,

Great partnership. Camping takes two to be successful. When working together a joy-filled experience.

If one of the spouses is not keen on sharing tasks that is the time the RV sits in the driveway. RVs are meant to be used often

Love it! Feel so alive and know what little it takes to have a nice time.

Thank you for posting.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #20

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
We share duties but mostly she is inside and I am out. I encourage her to know about the trailer - how to use everything, hook up water and electric, observe the dump process, drive on back roads and interstate pulling it, level it at the site, hook up the wires, hook up the weight distribution Andersen hitch, etc.. have gotten her to back up a short easy distance once in a while - still working on that.... It is good to have both of us know what to do and how to do it should something happen to one of us. I have met other campers that have lost their spouse but were able to continue to enjoy camping because they knew what to do and were comfortable enough to do it themselves - no need to sell the camper and give up that part of their life too.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
librarianocnj ,

Curious how do you walk your cat(s)?
Leash or do they follow along nicely?
Sounds like you have a podful of pets.
I love animals too.
I bought Madison a leash at Petco. And it's more like I follow her along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0731.jpg  
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #22

Tennessee
Very cute on the kitty. We have a semi-similar arrangement with our Border. Great harness around the belly and a thick leash with secure big hardware. I'm not too? worried about her getting away but then she is a border collie sleek and fast. She chews through leashes and even our seatbelt out of protest I guess being left even for a small amount of time.

And yes I can see the cat taking you a walk. Great she/he will be walked rather than the kitty litter route. Litter boxes smell no matter how we try to be sanitary and cover up the smell. Reminds me of Fred! Wonderful cat that thought she was Sheltie too.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #23
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We pretty much split all chores. I haven't backed up the camper yet but want to learn. I help with connections and leveling. I do all the cooking as I enjoy that. As far as waste tanks go, I do that too. Hubby will occasionally do that but I do that the majority of the time.

We are dog lovers and currently don't have any as our last one passed away about 3 years ago. We'll get another one though when we're ready and hopefully will travel with us. Last spring we were at a beach campground and had a tent setup next to us that consisted of two families and 3 dogs. The dogs barked continually from the time they got there to the time they left. I was never so happy to see them leave! Most of the time we see dogs that are very well behaved travelers.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #24

Tennessee
Bryan wow! You are a great spouse.

Mine well very sweet but let me drive his new Tundra probably not.

I do watch his movements like a hawk in case I should have to pull. I watch him struggle to get hitched and wrestle with our Anderson. I think I might be able to handle it should some emergency happen. I do assist him with parts of the process.

He will probably outlast me, he is in better health. I have artery problems even with many stints and could go quickly with a widower maker that couldn't be fixed short of an open heart.

I did tell him to tell his next wife that I expect her to take care of my share of the Oliver. And that his passed wife was the best HA! He claims he will sell the camper but I doubt that seriously. Claims he won't get married again. Yes, he will. He loves company.

Great husband Bryan! Your wife must really appreciate you!
Like your name. It's my brother's only mom spelled it Brian.
Got called "brain" in school.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #25

Tennessee
Jan,

You might want to opt for a smaller dog. I have always had medium to large but a smaller dog sure would be easier to keep up with. You could train it day one to be a nice quiet camper.

I like a dog with "prick" ears, medium to long coat, and a plume tale that goes over the but*

Basically a mini, mini, mini Border. (there isn't such a thing).

I like Poms but their coat sheds a bunch and they would be hot in the sun.

A Pap might be great like our fellow dog lover and cat lover poster has.

Not into toy poodles or chis personally. Poos do have an advantage having hair and not fur however. Easy to care for. And great in a puppy cut not that silly show cut.

We did have miniature Poodles when I was a kid. Smart as whips just like our Border.

I would like to have a tiny "Poo-mix" (not a maltese mix) my mom had 2 when I grew up and was already gone from their house. Not into them. Her's were squeaky yappy.

But everyone has their favorite breed and mix.

These mixes cost a fortune which is silly. They are mutts or 1/2 breeds.

We paid a fortune for our pair of Scotties. Our male out survived the female. He was our Border's pal even tho. he was too old to frap. Both lived a very long lives for Scottish Terriers.

So you and I both have points to maul over getting our pups/doggies acclimated. Be prepared to be a doggy parent as part of your "job." But an enjoyable one! I love them all! I stop people in the campgrounds and ask them about their doggies. I miss Mabel Lean and wonder how she is doing at the "doggy resort."

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #26
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Thanks for the tips! We've always had medium to large dogs, but our daughters have always had small dogs, and I can see the advantage even though 1 boards her dogs when she travels and our other daughter travels with her 2.

Currently we have a small parrot (my avatar) that is a well seasoned traveler of 19 years. We've had him since he was a baby so riding in a vehicle is nothing new. He loves looking out the windows at the passing cars and sometimes says "hey!" to them. He has not camped with us as our other camper was too small and I do have a regular bird sitter. So after we pick up our Snoozy we plan on doing a couple short trips to see how it goes. Time will tell!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #27

Tennessee
Wink Another doggy thread

We must have inspired someone to start a new thread.
You may want to check it out and add your comments or get tips.

Traveling with our dog

Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #28

Tennessee
JBB,

How neat! A birdy! Good idea. My gramma had a Parakeet she just loved.

We had a Lhasa that could say "rock and roll" and "doo doo".
Never could get our Cairn or the Scotties to talk.
Mabel just looks at us like you can't be serious!

Our Scotties had very, very short leggies but they were really medium dogs.

Going to have to go much smaller for a pocket doggy next time. I guess I can get used to their mini-sized.

Poms sound like bigger dogs but they do have thick coats and wouldn't make for hot weather camping.

The Paps sound neat. Wondering how much they cost?
They have hair.

Oh saw a campground owner with a Cav King Charles.
Hard to come by and expensive for a well bred one. She was very sweet and a quiet pupper.

Could get a pound pup but it's hard to know their adult size.
An adult dog may have "issues" and may not be a happy camper right off.

One doggy rule at a time currently in effect.
Doggy Drs. charge more than people Drs at least it seems like it.