What is your "job" on a campout? Or do you share all tasks? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #29

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
JBB,

Let us know how the porta' birdy goes on camping.
Should be real neat!

Does it come when it is "called?"

Are there birdy leashes?

My gramma's para would come when called and loved perching on her shoulder and fingers. Lived a good long life. Much company for her!

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Why would a dog be afraid of metal steps? Why would a carpet help?

There was a thread on electrical grounding problems recently, the symptoms were tingling when touching the the frame, standing on the ground, especially barefoot. Your pets go barefoot all the time, don't they? Get barefoot and test for it, or measure. Animals learn quickly and remember. Just a thought.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #31
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Oliver Elite 2

Skittles pretty much plays on his pen or likes the people view of the world! He doesn't fly; never learned, so he walks everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0658.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Frankie (The runt of the litte)r is scared of everything. He got so scared of his tags hitting his metal dog bowl that he would not eat. We had to buy him a silicone bowl. Metal steps terrified him. With a rug, no problem.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I had a pop-up with a metal step this was an issue for my dog at the time and a carpet on the step solved the issue. I always though the holes in the step worried the dog getting its nails caught.

As to the original post: When we are camping I have no job since I don't get paid. But I seem to have a never ending list of chores to be done. Some self induced and some as directed by the head of the household, but all are by choice and not by forced conscription. I seem far busier when camping than a weekend at home.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #34

Tennessee
Thank you Paul O!

I will get the resident EE PE and his meter on this one. Never thought of that. She did have her front feet on the first metal step and her hind feet were on the ground. Great idea! Thank you very much for this!

She did balk when we tried her in the indoor storage for her very first introduction. Nothing was plugged in a wall socket (except I guess the batteries charged by our solar panels?)

It could be just her problem with new situations. We don't have steps on our house I don't think she has ever climbed any. She leaps like gazelle into the 4 Runner and 4 wheel drive Tundra clearing both hatches like an agility dog touching nothing. Impressive vertical leaps can do 5 ft. easy. Jumped over our 4 ft fence 2 times to "greet" someone walking along our street. She herded him and circled. Poor guy had to be rescued by my DH. The other time she jumped our shared fence with our neighbors to visit with the 2 doggies next door.

The problem with Border Collies is they are people pleasers and stay attached to their humans like Velcro. This is bred into them for working sheep in partnership with their shepherd. Live an learn! A most unusual breed to say the least.

She runs as fast as a greyhound and her shape resembles one. She has made up her own game of "Run Forrest Run" as she goes back and forth along our chainlinked back fence row full speed from one side to another. There is no way we can even begin to chase her down. Never clocked her but the rate must be up there. Why we don't dare let her off harness and strong lead when not in the fence. One of her nicknames is "slinky" as her body is as sleek and limber as one. Have to grab her collar before opening the gate.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #35

Tennessee
Hi Steve. Our Oliver has "solid" aluminum steps with no holes. Has those glued on step mats and also we put runners on them too. Never thought of carpet.

And the word "job" is in jest. You are right. I guess I should have named it tasks. We are retired too (looking up to the sky and thanking Him). Never thought I would live this long given my inherited artery condition.

Camping? Not a job or even task. Just JOY and celebration we can be free out in nature and enjoy creation.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #36

Tennessee
Bird Walkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Oliver Elite 2

Skittles pretty much plays on his pen or likes the people view of the world! He doesn't fly; never learned, so he walks everywhere!
Skittles CUTE name! Love it. Wonder why he never has flown? Short wings? or No momma birdy to show him how? Did you raise him from an egg?

Such a lovely group of coloration. Hope you can show him off to the world. People will adore him.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #37

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Who does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Everything my wife can't or doesn't want to do.
A little background...I have 35 years experience living on small sail boats with my wife. After a couple of years cruising abroad you start to see the results of not splitting the chores equitably. In a board the Capt'n (man) has a 21st century navigation station, he does the steering and makes the decisions. Hello Captn Bligh! The galley slave (woman) works in a 17th century galley. And yup there are mutinies. She goes home and he's sitting on the boat by himself.

All of this has parallels in RV'ing. We now try not to have 'pink jobs' and 'blue jobs'. Sometimes it's nice not to be responsible for every decision!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #38

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Job

I do everything that the voices in my wife's head tells me to do.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #39
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Skittles CUTE name! Love it. Wonder why he never has flown? Short wings? or No momma birdy to show him how? Did you raise him from an egg?

Such a lovely group of coloration. Hope you can show him off to the world. People will adore him.
He's a normal full grown parrot. I got him from a breeder at 12 weeks old, after she weened him from hand feeding. I guess he figured there was no reason for him to learn to fly as he's sitting with us or playing at his cage. Yes, he's a 19 year old spoiled bird! LOL
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #40

Tennessee
Burro, I like pink. Pink is good. I also like blue (one of our inside and outside colors I picked.) He leaves the "interior and exterior design" to me. Believe me I would rather be pink! I am glad I am pink. I have had to be far too "responsible" in my professional life and have no desire to spend retirement in a "leadership" role. The most mmm interesting quality about being married to an electric engineer PE and a son of an Industrial (first child) is he is maddening correct almost 99% right all the time. I do claim my 1% when it is really important. My dear sweet mother-in-law now in Heaven I MISS HER! Saying is, "What is it worth?" Meaning let stuff go unless it is very, very important (like a car about to hit us) before saying much.

It's not worth it to fuss. I have to say tho. I do a terrific passive-aggressive "silent treatment" when the captain of our hulled ship goes a bit too far. Eventually he gets it. It sounds as if all of us have been blessed to marry our best friends. Looking above thank you! Thank you for posting bet your wife is thrilled you are captain. I know I am. Paul has much to say about this. I don't want to have any responsibility if things go wacky. I am happily in the support role.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #41

Tennessee
JBB,

I guess he likes human mommas. Neat. Pretty bird! What is his life expectancy? Birds live a long time don't they?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #42

Tennessee
EF,

Laughing good answer!

Me, I try not to think. Good thing I don't know what date it is until I look on the PC clock. And yes, what day is it again?

Give me a menial task anytime

I actually like sweeping out our RV. Of course it's small and takes no time at all. Also enjoy trying to creatively stow stuff away. In a small RV stuff stacks up fast. Thus far we have "nobly" not crammed ours full. Of course we have only had it since Feb. Good thing we have a truck bed cab cover.