What kind of Casita do you have and why? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
We have a 2013 Spirit Deluxe. We wanted a separate dinette and bed. It has quite a bit of storage. We bought it just as the Independence came out, and like that because of the twin beds, crawling over each other gets old. But there appears to be less storage space so the Spirit is probably the best for us.

I do like all the mods and gewgaws that you can buy for the Casita. I have spent probably another $4K in modifications. Mods which other trailers already have installed from the factory.

However, if I had a do over I would buy a 21' Escape, hands down. I really like the floor plan. But here again, I don't much like a tandem axle, or the extra weight.

So really, it just comes down to trade offs.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #16

Name: Lee
California
We have a Liberty Deluxe and I love it. Right now I have it set up with a double bed in the back. I bought a Wally World 12 inch foam mattress that I trimmed with a electric bread knife to fit the curve of the wall. I have a smaller table top with a base on the floor so I can set up a small table in front of the bed that serves two nicely. If I need it to be king size, I simply put the table top at seat level and add cushions and we sleep with our heads to the rear of the trailer, no climbing over each other. During the day I leave the table top sitting agains the wall behind the cushions that support your back and it is a great place to sit to watch tv, or just keep out of the way while somdone is in the "kitchen".
My friend has a Scamp with the floor plan like the Casita SD. Hers has less storage than my Casita and does not have a screen door. Plus it is difficult for her to dump her tanks, odd placement of valves.
Look at so,e, you will find your unit!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #17

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It was suggested to me and I'll be another person who suggests it to you: get inside some of them if you can.

I was pretty set on a Casita myself, and definitely wanted the Spirit Deluxe. I could have made it work, but I went with a Bigfoot, because I plan to live out of it for extended periods. But people live out of 13' Scamps for extended periods, so it all depends on your needs.

I wanted more than just a narrow isle of walking/standing space, and that's all any Casita or Scamp has. Just enough room for one person to walk. If you have a dog, and it's not the really small variety that will be all over the furniture, it will officially be taking up all the floor space in the camper. You can't move/cook/clean without being in each other's way. With my Bigfoot, you can have 3 or 4 people standing up in the floor space, with space leftover for a dog. But it's big/wide, and that comes with it's own towing challenges.

There are ways to work with this, but that's the truth. Personally I think the side dinette of the Spirit Deluxe (or layout 6 Scamp) is really nice, because you can devote the rear dinette to being a set-up bed, and use the side dinette to eat and read and sit, or you can have a place to eat and read and sit while someone else is sleeping, or for just a change of scenery!

I think any of the layouts can work, but figuring out which works best for your particular needs, and which feels the most cozy for you is the most important thing. For whatever reason, the side dinette just feels really cozy and homey to me. It may not to someone else.
That's what I'm thinking--it is narrow throughout the whole camper and I did want something wider. I realize that 'camping' means you are suppose to be outside most of the time but there is going to be plenty of time when i'll be inside. Also, I want to bring my sewing machine and sew at times. The Spirit Deluxe seemed like the perfect camper but i keep going back and forth on campers. Borrego Dave mentioned the little snoozy so I looked that up and really liked the layout and David B. made good points about the little snoozy he has. And having solar is one of the things I want to do. I know I'll find the right camper to fit my needs but I wanted to get some input on the different casita campers and how people feel about them. I already have the information from the company--I sent for that months ago. And for the times i stay in a camp ground i can always use their bathroom during the day and use the campers at night. I like the escapes but they are too expensive for me. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I take it seriously what you all say. Janis
Old 03-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #18

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Casita??? Not me, Scamp's my brand.
Casita???? Scamp???? Not me, Oliver's my brand.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Don't see many around here. Our Boler has been good to go for 22 years now.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
I like the escapes but they are too expensive for me. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I take it seriously what you all say. Janis
Do not write off the Escapes based on price alone. With the current exchange rate (32%), they are very comparably priced to Casita and Scamp.

List price of an Escape 17b is $26,900. Taking into account the exchange rate brings it down to $20,351. And Escape includes a lot of common Casita and Scamp extras as standard.

The drawback to Escape right now is wait time, not necessarily the price.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #21

Name: Charles
Florida
Lots of 'homer' responses. The one thing that I saw a few times that is absolute is the importance of climbing in every one you are interested in. There is nothing like seeing the real thing. I called Casita, and they sent me referrals to 3 local owners (all within an hour of us) of their various floor plans. It made all the difference in the world. We bought used, but the factory would have paid the local owner a fee for showing his rig had we bought new.

I still have a 'dream' camper for us, that no one is building. We NEVER use a kitchen inside the unit. As soon as we arrive, out comes a table, and our inductive hotplate. We'd love for someone to build this (as a roll out shelf or the like), and leave us a fridge, and small microwave inside.

Our priorities inside are a large, comfy bed that we don't have to crawl over each other, a spacious wet bath, and storage. We got those high points in the Liberty Deluxe. If we were twin bed folks, the Independence would have been our choice.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookernoe View Post
I still have a 'dream' camper for us, that no one is building. We NEVER use a kitchen inside the unit. As soon as we arrive, out comes a table, and our inductive hotplate. We'd love for someone to build this (as a roll out shelf or the like), and leave us a fridge, and small microwave inside.
Check with Scamp, they used to sell "Blank Slates" nothing in the interior except support for the door and a closet across from the doorway (structural to hold up roof!). They even sold them without windows (to contractors seeking daytime sleeping space). OR, there's the Lil Snoozy. Mike uses his as a kinda/sort utility trailer for transporting his product. Either brand and you can truly make it your own.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #23

Name: Charles
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Check with Scamp, they used to sell "Blank Slates" nothing in the interior except support for the door and a closet across from the doorway (structural to hold up roof!). They even sold them without windows (to contractors seeking daytime sleeping space). OR, there's the Lil Snoozy. Mike uses his as a kinda/sort utility trailer for transporting his product. Either brand and you can truly make it your own.
I didn't look much at Scamp. I suppose it was because I couldn't find a bed arrangement that suited us. I did look extensively at Lil Snoozy, including a factory tour. It was quite clear they would customize to our liking. Sticker shock on new did me in, and we found our Liberty Deluxe at an excellent value. The simplicity of the Lil Snoozy is still a very attractive package to me.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #24

Delaware
Wow, so much information. Didn't know about the exchange rate in Canada, that's great news! Thank you all for all your answers. Dave, thank you for the info. you sent me. It really helps in making a decision. Campers are really a friendly group of people that want to help. Thank you all again.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yes. Best make sure you know if the price is in Canadian or US dollars.
If buying used, you might find that the seller 'meant' US dollars because he was advertising to a US market.
Just be sure to check.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 AM   #26

Name: p@
South Carolina
Registry
16' SD. odd as it may seem, i wanted that curved door. it's just very cool. and yes, you can have a screen door but you have to build it (another fun project). another thing i wanted was the front mounted ac unit which, when it expires, can be replaced from a slowes or home despot for a couple hundred bucks. my traveling companion is winston the wander dog and we find we have plenty of room and storage. casita dulce has many mods but in the living space the bed is always a bed, those terribly uncomfortable dinette cushions have been replaced and the range hood removed to allow room for an ikea "kitchen" (hanging spice rack, pot lid storage and draining tray).

p@
Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #27

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
I would go to the rally section and find a rally close to you and look at the different trailers there.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #28

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
I would go to the rally section and find a rally close to you and look at the different trailers there.

I didn't know there was a rally section--Lancaster, PA would have been perfect to go to. Thanks for the info. There are some videos someone posted from the last one in October from Lancaster which I'm going to watch.

Tags
casita