What kind of stove/grill..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I carry both a double mantle Coleman propane lantern and a double burner Coleman propane stove. Each are easily close to 40 years old. I think I've used the lantern twice in 10 years of travel with my trailer and gosh about 5 times for the stove. Some how I have the need to carry both with me, just in case.

Well, just in case happened two days ago. I came home for a few days and decided to go up the hill and camp in cooler weather, plus I was feeling sorry for myself as I had to cancel on the Oregon gathering. Any way while camping a man came by with some nice fish. We got to talking and he gave them to me. Well, I cook just about everything in my trailer but I not fish. So, out came the Coleman stove which I finally used with the propane splitter and long extension hose that I had put on the trailer bottle several years ago.

I should have taken a picture for posterity because who knows when I'll use the stove again.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I carry both a double mantle Coleman propane lantern and a double burner Coleman propane stove. Each are easily close to 40 years old. I think I've used the lantern twice in 10 years of travel with my trailer and gosh about 5 times for the stove. Some how I have the need to carry both with me, just in case.

Well, just in case happened two days ago. I came home for a few days and decided to go up the hill and camp in cooler weather, plus I was feeling sorry for myself as I had to cancel on the Oregon gathering. Any way while camping a man came by with some nice fish. We got to talking and he gave them to me. Well, I cook just about everything in my trailer but I not fish. So, out came the Coleman stove which I finally used with the propane splitter and long extension hose that I had put on the trailer bottle several years ago.

I should have taken a picture for posterity because who knows when I'll use the stove again.
So how did the fish turn out?

It looks like many of us have the same "antique" double burner Coleman Propane stove. I really haven't used mine, but the time is coming - I just know it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
We use the Cobb grill, and have all of the various plates, pans, grills and racks that go with it.

You can grill. bake, stirfry, cook eggs, pancakes, bacon or sausage.
Biscuits anyone?

And I carry a Trangia alcohol stove for a quick one burner job, or to perk the coffee while something else is cooking.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
So how did the fish turn out?
Wunnerful, Wunnerful...wunnerful.

I forgot to mention that I carry a small propane grill that I just love but I didn't have it with me so I pan fryed the fish.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSChilders View Post
We use the Cobb grill, and have all of the various plates, pans, grills and racks that go with it.

You can grill. bake, stirfry, cook eggs, pancakes, bacon or sausage.
Biscuits anyone?

And I carry a Trangia alcohol stove for a quick one burner job, or to perk the coffee while something else is cooking.
Maybe we should have a "Cobb Egg" meet where all the cooking is done on the Cobb outside our Egg's.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Good new info!

I inherited the same unit with my Bigfoot. I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking it will do just fine!

Having said that, I am interested in the fact that the cobb can be used as a slow cooker while we are out training dogs for the day. But clean-up while dry camping is always an issue with respect to water.
You can purchase premade charcoal biscuits that will cook for 3-4 hours. I used those at the recent rally and cooked Friday and Saturday and did not clean the grill in between, just brought it home dirty on Sunday to clean at home. The heat generated would sterilize any issues between uses, just like at home. In addition you can use foil. Finally, the roaster comes apart and you only have to clean where the food was.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #27

My small propane grill is a Coleman Road Trip Party Grill. The legs are removable and everything goes into a bag for storage. It's cooktop is 12 inches in diameter and then when stored in the bag it's only 6 inches high. I can use it both on a small propane canister or via my large trailer propane bottle.

http://summitcampinggear.com/coroprpagr.html It was cheaper at Target than the afore-mentioned site.

I love it. I finally found one that will char the outside of my steak and yet leave it rare inside. Most I had tried (numerous) just didn't do the job because when the steak was charred on both sides it ended up well to medium-well inside. I don't want my steak to walk across the plate and moo, but almost.
2019 Ram Longhorn