What kind of stove/grill..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Posts: 158
I have one of the original Cobb grills (with the black plastic case). I have used it to smoke meat on a rack raised up off the grill surface an inch or so and three or four briquets for fuel. It maintained 200 degrees measured at the top of the dome. You have to babysit it though, every hour or so I had to add one more briquet.

Marv
__________________

__________________
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,407
Registry
I use a Coleman combination grill / single burner unit. Between the grill section & the one burner it does most meals reasonably well...
__________________

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I have one of the original Cobb grills (with the black plastic case). I have used it to smoke meat on a rack raised up off the grill surface an inch or so and three or four briquets for fuel. It maintained 200 degrees measured at the top of the dome. You have to babysit it though, every hour or so I had to add one more briquet.

Marv
A deal breaker ... unfortunately.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
A couple that I dry camp and train with recently bought this setup: Char-broil - Char-Broil Grill 2 Go ICE - Gas Grills - Camping World

They keep it in the back seat area of their truck.

Space is a real priority for me. I simply don't have room in my SUV for this big a grill (or the Cobb grill for that matter).

One grill that we have not discussed is the "O" grill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...R900267CMY8102 I think that Adrian has one and is very happy with it.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
I take along the 50+ years old Coleman stove that my father and I used when I was a child, as well as the single mantle lantern of the same age. However, we usually cook inside with an electric skillet and microwave - but when we do cook outside it's almost always with a $29 Weber Smokey Joe. I guess I take the old Coleman along mainly for sentimental reasons. We do use the lantern quite a bit, however.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Posts: 163
I bought a O-Grill as recommendation from a similar thread on this forum a few years ago and couldn't be happier! Better than my expensive home grill. I've even taken to putting a skillet of bacon on it in the morning to keep the smell out of the camper.
__________________
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
I carry both a double mantle Coleman propane lantern and a double burner Coleman propane stove. Each are easily close to 40 years old. I think I've used the lantern twice in 10 years of travel with my trailer and gosh about 5 times for the stove. Some how I have the need to carry both with me, just in case.

Well, just in case happened two days ago. I came home for a few days and decided to go up the hill and camp in cooler weather, plus I was feeling sorry for myself as I had to cancel on the Oregon gathering. Any way while camping a man came by with some nice fish. We got to talking and he gave them to me. Well, I cook just about everything in my trailer but I not fish. So, out came the Coleman stove which I finally used with the propane splitter and long extension hose that I had put on the trailer bottle several years ago.

I should have taken a picture for posterity because who knows when I'll use the stove again.
__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Jane P.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I carry both a double mantle Coleman propane lantern and a double burner Coleman propane stove. Each are easily close to 40 years old. I think I've used the lantern twice in 10 years of travel with my trailer and gosh about 5 times for the stove. Some how I have the need to carry both with me, just in case.

Well, just in case happened two days ago. I came home for a few days and decided to go up the hill and camp in cooler weather, plus I was feeling sorry for myself as I had to cancel on the Oregon gathering. Any way while camping a man came by with some nice fish. We got to talking and he gave them to me. Well, I cook just about everything in my trailer but I not fish. So, out came the Coleman stove which I finally used with the propane splitter and long extension hose that I had put on the trailer bottle several years ago.

I should have taken a picture for posterity because who knows when I'll use the stove again.
So how did the fish turn out?

It looks like many of us have the same "antique" double burner Coleman Propane stove. I really haven't used mine, but the time is coming - I just know it.
__________________
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
LSChilders's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Posts: 105
We use the Cobb grill, and have all of the various plates, pans, grills and racks that go with it.

You can grill. bake, stirfry, cook eggs, pancakes, bacon or sausage.
Biscuits anyone?

And I carry a Trangia alcohol stove for a quick one burner job, or to perk the coffee while something else is cooking.
__________________
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
So how did the fish turn out?
Wunnerful, Wunnerful...wunnerful.

I forgot to mention that I carry a small propane grill that I just love but I didn't have it with me so I pan fryed the fish.
__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSChilders View Post
We use the Cobb grill, and have all of the various plates, pans, grills and racks that go with it.

You can grill. bake, stirfry, cook eggs, pancakes, bacon or sausage.
Biscuits anyone?

And I carry a Trangia alcohol stove for a quick one burner job, or to perk the coffee while something else is cooking.
Maybe we should have a "Cobb Egg" meet where all the cooking is done on the Cobb outside our Egg's.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Good new info!

I inherited the same unit with my Bigfoot. I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking it will do just fine!

Having said that, I am interested in the fact that the cobb can be used as a slow cooker while we are out training dogs for the day. But clean-up while dry camping is always an issue with respect to water.
You can purchase premade charcoal biscuits that will cook for 3-4 hours. I used those at the recent rally and cooked Friday and Saturday and did not clean the grill in between, just brought it home dirty on Sunday to clean at home. The heat generated would sterilize any issues between uses, just like at home. In addition you can use foil. Finally, the roaster comes apart and you only have to clean where the food was.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
My small propane grill is a Coleman Road Trip Party Grill. The legs are removable and everything goes into a bag for storage. It's cooktop is 12 inches in diameter and then when stored in the bag it's only 6 inches high. I can use it both on a small propane canister or via my large trailer propane bottle.

http://summitcampinggear.com/coroprpagr.html It was cheaper at Target than the afore-mentioned site.

I love it. I finally found one that will char the outside of my steak and yet leave it rare inside. Most I had tried (numerous) just didn't do the job because when the steak was charred on both sides it ended up well to medium-well inside. I don't want my steak to walk across the plate and moo, but almost.
__________________

__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMPING GRILL Gene Masse General Chat 22 04-12-2010 10:20 AM
New Coleman grill shane n General Chat 5 10-07-2009 09:56 AM
BBQ Grill Pete Dumbleton General Chat 3 09-22-2007 10:51 AM
Three way LP three burner/grill bonnie w Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-02-2007 05:45 PM
What grill do you use??? Legacy Posts Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes 20 02-19-2003 03:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.