What kind of stove/grill..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What kind of stove/grill.....

Does everyone use while camping? I have a propane stove upon which I can cook, with utensils, meals and coffee. However I found this interesting grill and after using it, I love it. It was made for developing countries in 90's in order to utilize corn cobbs as fuel. I use 8-9 briquets and can cook for 2-3 hours. It can be used like a crock pot, low heat and slow cooks. But you can also grill with high heat burgers/dogs/veggies like a conventional grill.
Here is a picture/video Cobb Portable Grill Store - Cobb Premier Portable Grill and Tabletop Cooking System
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does everyone use while camping? I have a propane stove upon which I can cook, with utensils, meals and coffee. However I found this interesting grill and after using it, I love it. It was made for developing countries in 90's in order to utilize corn cobbs as fuel. I use 8-9 briquets and can cook for 2-3 hours. It can be used like a crock pot, low heat and slow cooks. But you can also grill with high heat burgers/dogs/veggies like a conventional grill.
Here is a picture/video Cobb Portable Grill Store - Cobb Premier Portable Grill and Tabletop Cooking System
That looks like a pretty interesting unit... but it seems a little pricey to me. I guess the ones for the developing countries didn't come in the deluxe stainless version, huh? I'm going to bookmark the site, but I fear it will be a while before I can scrape together that much available trailer $$$ what with the other replacements and upgrades I'm facing. It would be a great finishing touch, though!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Registry
The grill sometimes go on sale for less than $100 in the porcelain/enamel version. That is really all you need, the other accessories do not appear to be that critical.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is what I use outside Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman-425c-stove.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37725
Works perfect and it's about 40 years old.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Oh, Kevin....you make me want to hunt up the White Gas Coleman that used to be my parent's when I was a kid....I'm thinking it's at least 50 years old since I'm...ahem...a bit older than that and it was around when I was 7 or 8.

Currently, we used the propane model that is also at least 30 years old. We add a full length cast aluminum griddle for cooking pancakes and such as that. But, I'm on the search for a small cast iron griddle instead.

When we have electricity we take our 2 person George Foreman grill and electric tea kettle.

For group camping we'll haul out our Freedom 300 tail-gate grill:

http://www.freedomgrill.com/

(think Tim Taylor of Tool Time)

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Wow, Kevin! That 40 year old Coleman doesn't look like it's ever been fired up. I got out my little old two burner propane stove to carry me through until I get the two burner cook top bought and installed. As it is, I don't have to hang that big old propane bottle on the tongue yet.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I do most of my cooking on my Trillium stove but I also have a Coleman stove ( less than 40 years old...LOL) and I also use my $20. portable BBQ. I have a folding Coleman oven too that sits on the burners and it's great for heating/cooking buns etc.
The Cobb grill certainly looks interesting but how on earth could anyone in a developing country afford one? How were they produced/distributed, I wonder? Government grant to the producer and donated to the end user?
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is the brief history, naturally the ones used in elsewhere made use of local resources.
About The Cobb
Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This is what I use outside Attachment 37725
I have a similar one that was in the Mother-in-laws basement when we cleaned it out. She used it for one week and then it sat on a shelf still in it's original container since 1964. We'll be taking it with us next week to the Ont Bolerama.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
This is what I use outside Attachment 37725
Good new info!

I inherited the same unit with my Bigfoot. I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking it will do just fine!

Having said that, I am interested in the fact that the cobb can be used as a slow cooker while we are out training dogs for the day. But clean-up while dry camping is always an issue with respect to water.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #11

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
So far I have just cooked on my inside stove top, since it's there and requires no extra setup. But I also have one of those classic Coleman outdoor stoves, which my family used on our small handful of camping trips when I was a kid in the 70s.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Jim. Thanks for the tip. L ks promising, and you've actually used (and love) it. That's a great recommendation.

I'm one of those who prefers NOT to carry an additional Coleman stove and fuel, so I do most cooking inside the Casita. But, of course, there are times it would be nice to be oriented more to the great outdoors - especially when camping with friends and/or family. We might have to get one of these...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #13

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
El cheapo $20 portable propane BBQ and propane Colman sometimes. My wife is pretty creative as we only used to use the BBQ while tenting on motocycle trips. Frozen waffles cook up quite nicely on the BBQ
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Almost all our cooking is done outside. The most used are; a portable BBQ and a butane stove. On serviced sites, we also use an electric kettle and a single burner range.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2010-05-23_17-25-42.JPG  
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
I have one of the original Cobb grills (with the black plastic case). I have used it to smoke meat on a rack raised up off the grill surface an inch or so and three or four briquets for fuel. It maintained 200 degrees measured at the top of the dome. You have to babysit it though, every hour or so I had to add one more briquet.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I use a Coleman combination grill / single burner unit. Between the grill section & the one burner it does most meals reasonably well...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I have one of the original Cobb grills (with the black plastic case). I have used it to smoke meat on a rack raised up off the grill surface an inch or so and three or four briquets for fuel. It maintained 200 degrees measured at the top of the dome. You have to babysit it though, every hour or so I had to add one more briquet.

Marv
A deal breaker ... unfortunately.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #18

A couple that I dry camp and train with recently bought this setup: Char-broil - Char-Broil Grill 2 Go ICE - Gas Grills - Camping World

They keep it in the back seat area of their truck.

Space is a real priority for me. I simply don't have room in my SUV for this big a grill (or the Cobb grill for that matter).

One grill that we have not discussed is the "O" grill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...R900267CMY8102 I think that Adrian has one and is very happy with it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I take along the 50+ years old Coleman stove that my father and I used when I was a child, as well as the single mantle lantern of the same age. However, we usually cook inside with an electric skillet and microwave - but when we do cook outside it's almost always with a $29 Weber Smokey Joe. I guess I take the old Coleman along mainly for sentimental reasons. We do use the lantern quite a bit, however.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I bought a O-Grill as recommendation from a similar thread on this forum a few years ago and couldn't be happier! Better than my expensive home grill. I've even taken to putting a skillet of bacon on it in the morning to keep the smell out of the camper.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote