What kind of TV do you have? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Tv - Do you have one in your trailer?
Yes 11 11.22%
No 28 28.57%
Flat screen TV. 23 23.47%
Old style Tv. 6 6.12%
Tv on your computer. 8 8.16%
Will never have one in the trailer. 8 8.16%
Thinking about adding one. 14 14.29%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita
I just read most of the first page so maybe this has been covered by someone else.

My TV is on my laptop. I just got a new Dell with biggest screen and the highest resolution.
I tied the Pinnacle USB TV tuner and could not get to work so sent it back and bought this one that works real well. from amazon with a remote.
It gets antenna hdtv (but I hate the antenna built in to my casita.. worthless.)
It is a full dv recorder like tivo.
I take my Directv antenna/box with me and it works well except I have to use an inverter on the Box. I sure wish they made a 12v box!

You may guess already that I don't go camping. My egg is my home away from home so that I can enjoy the things I like to do a distance from my real home. TV fits right in
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Surfside
I want to buy a small flatscreen with a built in DVD player. Right now I don't have a TV in the Surfside
WadeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No TV and no intention of getting one. I watch way too much TV when I'm not on vacation ( a way to numb the brain after work ). What I want on vacation is stimulation. I turn on CBC or NPR (if I can get a signal). Which is why I considered satellite radio. I've checked out the receivers and don't like anything currently offered. I want it portable and compact. XM appears to come close, but doesn't offer the type of programming I want. Sirius offers a "boom box". I'll just have to wait for developments in that field and I'm not keen on a subscription.

Instead, I log on to iTunes at home and subscribe to free pod-casts of radio programs. I must have 60 hours of documentaries loaded into my iPod. Some are current affairs and would be terribly dated by the time I get around to listening, but many remain current for years - programs such as CBC's Ideas. I'm sure there are many more to discover.

Taking TV out of the picture ( so to speak ) makes time for the Old Bag and me to re-connect. At home, she's watching her program on one TV and I'm watching something else on another. With radio, we can talk, discuss ideas, play crib, maybe even be naughty.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
I install a 15" LCD 16/9 HD/TV (1080P) with built in DVD/USB/SD reader (Deal for $152 on Ebay:-) Using my laptop to tranfert a couple of my DIVX movies collection in a USB stick just in case it rain. This TV use a AC to DC 12V transformer but I run direct DC From the lighter adapter in my Casita and run perfecly well

To keep thing running in dry camping I Got a Kyocera 87W solar panel (22 Pds) and a Steca 15amp LCD digital controler/regulater for charging my 86 Ah Gel cell.

I will add a NTX mini (white) FTA receiver and a 18" sat Dish under my sweevel solar panel rear bumper mount project... (Aluminium tubing)
This way I will get more option in case of bad weather :-) But this is not
a 'Must have' Item, I prefer a good fire my girlfriend and a cup of wine

Get-R-Done
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
We don't consider ourselves to be "Campers" as much as we are "Travelers".
Interesting, our kids and I had a good discussion on the differences between the two just recently while "traveling".

We have the full magilla in our BF, DVD player built in and video and cable signals routed (factory) throughout the trailer and wall mounted setups for LCD's fore and aft.

We do bring DVD's to watch but rarely have the energy to watch anything after a full day out sightseeing....but the whole idea is to get away and while away relax, and if TV or video games for the kids put your family in that relaxed space well, why not?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I agree with the Childers about being Travelers, that's what I've been and am right now. I do a lot of traveling along with sightseeing. However I do go camping and sometimes use my TV and other times not.

I purchased 2 Christmas presents for myself and build a two tiered shelving setup as a TV entertainment center. I purchased a VuCube remote controlled satellite dish and a Samsung 19" flat screen LCD TV. By the time I get home next week I will have been gone 3 months and surely have enjoyed having the satellite dish/TV combo.

Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4189.JPG   109_6915.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #27

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
//
I purchased 2 Christmas presents for myself and build a two tiered shelving setup as a TV entertainment center. I purchased a VuCube remote controlled satellite dish and a Samsung 19" flat screen LCD TV. By the time I get home next week I will have been gone 3 months and surely have enjoyed having the satellite dish/TV combo.
//

Joy, I like your shelving system/entertainment center. Do you leave the flat screen TV standing up like that while you're on the road? I was just wondering whether you have it attached in the back or something. We're thinking about getting a new TV for the Bigfoot at some point, but things seem to get bumped around a bit in our trailer while traveling so we wouldn't want the TV to break. Thanks.

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have a modest (12" flat panel) TV/DVD combo and a VuQube sat antenna.

My sense is that everybody camps differently and no one's way is best except for them. What works for me is:

I solo camp so the TV isn't just a way of ignoring my travel partner.

At last week's Michigan get-together I still managed to read two (Kindle) paperbacks, listen to some short wave and watch the Olympics (I seem attracted to women's beach volleyball but I can't quite seem to put my finger on why ).

Even did one close by geocache.

And chatted up the other glass campers.

Except for most dinners, I generally cook inside with either the TV or radio going in the background. Whatever moves me.

Of course, I like to think I travel in a style I label wretched excess.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
At last week's Michigan get-together I still managed to read two (Kindle) paperbacks, listen to some short wave and watch the Olympics (I seem attracted to women's beach volleyball but I can't quite seem to put my finger on why ).
Thats strange Steve---Thats all i watched also. The rest didn't interest me.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #30

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
15 inch Sharp LCD. Analog, so out it must go.

I heard that the IOC has decreed sweatsuits for beach volleyball in the next Olympics. I'll probably be too busy flossing (or something like that) to watch it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We do what a number of posters here do, bring the laptop for DVDs for bad weather.

It's fun to stop at Canadian Tire for new lantern mantels, say, or yet more tarp straps, then dig through the bargain bin and get a triple-feature Boris Karloff or double-feature Arnold Schwarzenegger for $4.99 and bring them along.

The laptop only has two hours battery power, so we bring an extension cord and use a 12-to-120 volt inverter to plug into truck. Someone (!) has to go out into the rain at Intermission to start up the truck so we don't have a dead truck battery. But we learned you can meet the nicest campers, those who carry jumper cables even in summer, and don't mind positioning their vehicle halfway up a mountain to help you out!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
When it rains, the TV/DVD player is really nice to have. Also, when I got sick on a trip in April, I didn't feel like doing anything but lying in bed & watching TV. It helped distract me from my misery and the incessant rain. I hope that never happens again! yuck
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We have a little 12 volt, 9" flat-screen DVD player (no TV channel tuner) that's designed to be a seat-back DVD player. It came with a swing-arm mount that was supposed to allow the user to clamp the TV to the two posts of a front-seat headrest (so the kids in the back can watch TV), but we used the mount to clamp the TV to the metal supports for our kitchen cabinet.

Got it a year ago at Walmart for about $99. It's not a great TV, but we don't watch much TV when we're out and about, either.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Joy, I like your shelving system/entertainment center. Do you leave the flat screen TV standing up like that while you're on the road? I was just wondering whether you have it attached in the back or something. We're thinking about getting a new TV for the Bigfoot at some point, but things seem to get bumped around a bit in our trailer while traveling so we wouldn't want the TV to break. Thanks.

Maureen
No, the TV, DVD player & Sat box all get disconnected and placed on the bed while traveling.
Are you coming to the NOG in October?? If so you can see my setup there.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #35

Trailer: Boler 1984
No TV. Better to spend some time and scrounge a couple of yard salesalong the way and pick out some pocket novels.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote