What pickup? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Naturally I'm going to say Toyota but if you want a Chevy, Ford or Dodge I've had all three and the Chevy Silverado is way more truck in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Studebaker... it has that modern Toyota look and that old fashioned simplicity!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #17

Trailer:
I accept that the following video is a year or two old, and from a different continent, but good advice like this should never be passed up:

Stanley Unwin's Clear And Comprehensive Advice On What To Look For When Buying A New Car - YouTube
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Vicki A. Here's a pic. of my choice. Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long bed. 4ltr. V6 6100# tow cap. 4X4 with lots of "Giddyap'nGo". Decent gas mileage at all times with room for 4...but that's IMHO for what it's worth.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I have the same pickup as you, Eric, only with a 6-speed manual. Mountain driving is hard on brakes with an automatic transmission. Heck, here in the mountains, we see folks using their brakes going up hill when approaching a turn. Slow down folks, life is beautiful. Gearing down with my manual makes it very easy driving mountain roads. Just my thoughts, but, it may be that I have always driven a "stick" and wouldn't be without it. I get an average of 21 mpg in the mountains where I live and with the trailer, average 17 mpg. Marg in NW California
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
I have the same pickup as you, Eric, only with a 6-speed manual. Mountain driving is hard on brakes with an automatic transmission. Heck, here in the mountains, we see folks using their brakes going up hill when approaching a turn. Slow down folks, life is beautiful. Gearing down with my manual makes it very easy driving mountain roads. Just my thoughts, but, it may be that I have always driven a "stick" and wouldn't be without it. I get an average of 21 mpg in the mountains where I live and with the trailer, average 17 mpg. Marg in NW California
Oops, should have argeed with ALF. Sorry.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
All of the larger pickups of today do a great job so it's pretty much a personal preference. I just sold a 2007 Dodge Ram Hemi 4 door and really liked the great highway mileage i got about 16mpg towing 18-19 mpg not towing..... city not so good about 12mpg (really sorry i sold that truck and thinking of buying a new pickup myself..... I also had a ford f-150 small v-8 before that and was equally happy. If i can swing it would really like to get a diesel..... from what i read last night about dodge they are proposing an 8 speed automatic for the upcoming model year. pair that up with the hemi which i really liked it should be a good combo....... lots of decisions and alternatives on pickups but the four door is a must for us.
Joe
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Consumer Reports indicates that, unlike with the compact size trucks, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a full-sized pickup truck. I bought a Toyota Tundra because it had the best repair record and, at the time I was looking, it was $3000 less than comparably equipped F150 or Silverado - either of which I would not have hesitated to buy if the price had been better. Prices varry with incentives and sales at different times.

I recommend you check out Overstock.com as a starting place for pricing a vehicle. They will have many dealers bid on your choice of vehicle. (By going to a dealer 50 miles away I saved $2000 over my local dealer's best price.)

Oh, and I don't think that a manual transmission is available with most full-sized pickups.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I'm with you Ray.... I was on overstock.com last night and agree with you. I also get consumers report mag and was surprised to see that they gave the Silverado 2500 diesel a "Best Buy" but not sure if i want a 2500...... The hardest part of this decision is parting with the money in the bank LOL
Joe
Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
SHHH! Don't tell anyone, but we also have a " sticky ".
Not my choice - my co-pilot thinks Tillie is too small!
It weighs close to 4000#, then load it up...

Thanks for the input, I may need to check out that other 150.
LOL you currently have a tow with 6600 cap and its not fun to tow a trailer in the 4000lb range? Why? You have more left over tow cap than what a number of us have to start with!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 / 2013 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel!!!
British Columbia
I have a 2011 F-150 FX4 crewcab, 3.73 rearend with the Ecoboost. It tows our 17' Escape, and carries 3 dirtbikes in the box, up any mountain pass I have encountered without breaking a sweat. It makes our previous pickup, a 2005 Tacoma, seem weak in comparison. The F-150 gets better fuel mileage empty or towing than the Taco ever got. The only downside is that it's a pretty darn big truck.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL you currently have a tow with 6600 cap and its not fun to tow a trailer in the 4000lb range? Why? You have more left over tow cap than what a number of us have to start with!
I towed my EggCamper (under 2500 pounds), with a tow vehicle with a rating of 5600 pounds - but it only had a four speed transmission. Going up a hill would cause a downshift which meant I had to creep along or rev the engine higher than I was comfortable doing. A six speed, or possibly even a five speed, transmission would have probably solved the problem. Just because the tow rating is relatively high doesn't necessarily mean it is up for your job and demands. If I had been happy going 45 up a hill with a 70 speed limit it would have been fine, but I wasn't. I hope that the new SAE J2807 standard for realistically rating towing capacity will bring a little more validity to comparing tow ratings in the real world.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #26

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Ray- you are right on!
With the big trailer I always felt like I needed to get out and push as the Silverado is a 3 speed.

Bought a F150 5.0 with a 6 speed and I think it will help a lot.

I don't plan on towing anything REAL big, but I want to have to push either!

Maybe I need to feed those squirrels super food!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Enjoy your new truck. Being almost Halloween, shall we say "Truck and Treat"? ...since a new truck is always a treat. You will enjoy that 6 speed I bet. That alone will make a huge difference.

Regarding Marg's comments about downshifting in mountains to save the brakes, yes too many people don't understand that important concept. But automatics have a shift lever too, and it works fine.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...The complete story on the Nissan Frontier S.E. 4X4 is a 4ltr. V6 261Hp. 281 ft.#s of torque. 5spd. auto with lock up torque converter and Od. lock out. The S.E came with a full complement of equipment and 3 N/C options, step rails, tonneau cover and bug deflector. I just felt it was mated to our Escape 5.0 and most people agree!!! It's not for everyone tho.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Truckstop shot.jpg