What pickup? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #57

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Just as an aside.... I have deactivated both the airbag system and the ABS on my "new" 4Runner.

I feel a LOT safer if it is ME driving rather than a computer, and after seeing first hand what airbags do to people in a crash, I figured I owed it to my family and any potential passengers to get those things OUTTA there!

(Of course the ABS light and the airbags warning lights are both on, so I'm gonna have to do a bit more fishing in behind the cluster to find those bulbs and pull them out!)
I had a truck that had a faulty low water sensar light that would come on all the time so i just put a piece of black tape over the light and forgot about it.
Staying within 300 +/- miles my 2002 jeep grand cherokee I-6 with 117,000 miles w/tow package and runs great suits me fine but i plan on making quite a few cross country trips from Az to NJ and small things are due to start going and being 2500 miles away makes me a little nervous and i am very handy mechanically (guess i'm getting lazy)that four door f-150 sure catches my attention but at least $35,000 hurts....LOL
Joe

Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #58

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Joe Z... Up here in Canada the ultra conservative banks are highly suspicious of seniors borrowing large sums to finance a new vehicle. Unless you're sitting on an over stuffed "Nest Egg" new vehicle prices are a PITA!!!
I'm facing that age group so I decided to buy new now so it's mostly paid off when I reach the magic number. First pickup had 100,000 mi. and major work required in the next 100,000. We are victims of TIME. High payments can really hurt after the warranty expires too!!!
We bought our Escape 5.0 5 yrs. before retirement to qualify for the same plan. PAID OFF!!! Trouble is by retirement time we'll have to remortgage the house to pay the fuel bills LoL.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #59

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Quote:
Well, I gotta say that I continue to be astonished by the folks who buy a NEW vehicle and because they worry about fuel mileage. If you hang on to your old one, the fuel costs will still be no-where near what you will lose in depreciation in the first very few years of ownership of a NEW one. Hertz, Avis, Alamo etc all have a VERY good handle on the true costs of car ownership. They all agree that fuel is actually a very small percentage of the costs of driving, and getting 30 mpg vs 20 (or even 10!) to the gallon does not make all that big of a cost difference over the term of ownership.

When my dad retired (in the late 70's) he got rid of a perfect condition, low miles, fully paid for, Olds 98, and got a Honda. He explained that he wanted to get better mileage. I said that "you better live to about 200 years old and drive about 200,000 miles a year every year to save in gas what you just paid for the little car."

Factor in: Depreciation, insurance, license fees, tires, on-going maintenance, oil changes, the occasional repair and over 10 years, you will find that fuel costs aren't all that significant. For myself, I find it is ALWAYS, without exception, cheaper to keep (and fix if needed) the car/truck you already have than to go shopping for a new one.

If economy and reliability are crucial, then keep up the maintenance on whatever currently lives in your driveway. Newest thing in my driveway is a '97, purchased a couple of weeks ago to replace an '89 that rusted to death. The '89 got close to 40 mpg, the '97 gets 15. Not a decision factor. The 89 was as basic as it can get (not even a radio) while the 97 has push-button everything. That was my decision point this time around.

Lowest odo reading on ANYTHING in my driveway is 253,000. My main tow vehicle is a '92 that is approaching 400,000, and I suspect it will be with me for quite a few more years.

If you need one with more hauling/towing capacity, or you simply WANT a different one because you now want a different suite of creature comforts, then go shopping.

You will spend a lot of time in it - get one you like!
I agree with the "run them til they drop" school of thought, with one caveat. I have a very good local mechanic, who I trust. He allows me to run my vehicles long and hard. If I had to rely on a dealership for service, I would be running a much younger fleet.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #60

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Joe Z... Up here in Canada the ultra conservative banks are highly suspicious of seniors borrowing large sums to finance a new vehicle. Unless you're sitting on an over stuffed "Nest Egg" new vehicle prices are a PITA!!!
I'm facing that age group so I decided to buy new now so it's mostly paid off when I reach the magic number. First pickup had 100,000 mi. and major work required in the next 100,000. We are victims of TIME. High payments can really hurt after the warranty expires too!!!
We bought our Escape 5.0 5 yrs. before retirement to qualify for the same plan. PAID OFF!!! Trouble is by retirement time we'll have to remortgage the house to pay the fuel bills LoL.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf..... I agree with you. Our first house that we purchased in about 1976 was about $34,000 ......That's less than the price of a pickup truck today. Knowing much about mechanics but being lazy in my old age i just take my vehicle to a recommended mechanic and knowing what the problem is on the vehicle i say nothing to the mechanic and act really dumb and see what he comes back with as a problem. found some good garages like that LOL.
I still want that new pickup and will be watching this post with interest..... I know the Ram 1500 is coming out with a diesel in the next year or two but somehow i think it may be a Fiat diesel from their recent joint venture..... Decisions, decisions LOL
I have to get up in your area someday as i hear it is really beautiful and that 5.0 Escape you have is one great trailer.
Joe
Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #61

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Just as an aside.... I have deactivated both the airbag system and the ABS on my "new" 4Runner.

I feel a LOT safer if it is ME driving rather than a computer, and after seeing first hand what airbags do to people in a crash, I figured I owed it to my family and any potential passengers to get those things OUTTA there!

(Of course the ABS light and the airbags warning lights are both on, so I'm gonna have to do a bit more fishing in behind the cluster to find those bulbs and pull them out!)
Don't tell your insurance co. about that.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #62

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Gotta cut them there seat belt out, too. They's just a-waitin' to strangulate ya!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #63

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Gotta cut them there seat belt out, too. They's just a-waitin' to strangulate ya!
KEEP YOURS!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #64

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
KEEP YOURS!
I wrap mine twice around the neck before buckling it in.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #65

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Dave, I appreciate its a personal decision based on experince but as someone who has suffered a head injury I would be not be comfortable in a car with the Air bags deactivated.

Broken bones and burns heal way faster than a head injury which may never heal. The long term problems of a head injury resulting from what at the time seemed like a simple bump on the head can result in life long problems that anyone who has experienced would not want to wish on their worst of friends.

Its my understanding that a large percentage of deaths and serious injuries related to airbags have involved children and many involved children who were allowed to sit in the front seat of the car or incorrectly placed by the driver in the rear (lack of booster seat or certified car seat?) Apparently a lot of people dont read their owners manuals.

To keep this somewhat on topic its also my understanding that the air bag systems in newer cars and the use of newer certified child car seats and booster seats for children make air bags systems a lot safer than older systems. When shopping for a new car it might be worth while to check out what differences in the new systems and what the research is on the system in the car someone might be considering purchasing.

I personally would rather go with the odds that mine or my passengers heads (assuming they are seated correctly in the car) arent as likely to be banging up against something hard by using the air bag system than the odds that I or a passenger may end up with a couple of broken thumbs or other more serious bone injuries as a result.

As said its a personal thing and don’t wish to start an argument about the stats but I think the simple bump to the head issue is something we often dont totally appreciate the ramifications of. I know I didnt until I had to learn to live with it. Happy to see many high profile athletes are now making their struggles with head injures known in order to increase public awareness.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #66

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dave, I appreciate its a personal decision based on experince but as someone who has suffered a head injury I would be not be comfortable in a car with the ABS system deactivated.

Broken bones and burns heal way faster than a head injury which may never heal. The long term problems of a head injury resulting from what at the time seemed like a simple bump on the head can result in life long problems that anyone who has experienced would not want to wish on their worst of friends.

Its my understanding that a large percentage of deaths and serious injuries related to airbags have involved children and many involved children who were allowed to sit in the front seat of the car or incorrectly placed by the driver in the rear (lack of booster seat or certified car seat?) Apparently a lot of people dont read their owners manuals.

To keep this somewhat on topic its also my understanding that the ABS systems in newer cars and the use of newer certified child car seats and booster seats for children make ABS systems a lot safer than older systems. When shopping for a new car it might be worth while to check out what differences in the new systems and what the research is on the system in the car someone might be considering purchasing.

I persnally would rather go with the odds that mine or my passengers heads (assuming they are seated correctly in the car) arent as likely to be banging up against something hard by using the ABS system than the odds that I or a passenger may end up with a couple of broken thumbs or other more serious bone injuries as a result.

As said its a personal thing and don’t wish to start an argument about the stats but I think the simple bump to the head issue is something we often dont totally appreciate the ramifications of. I know I didnt until I had to learn to live with it. Happy to see many high profile athletes are now making their struggles with head injures known in order to increase public awareness.
ABS is an acronym for "Anti-lock Braking System" ...NOT "Air Bag System"
I read most of your post before comprehending your point.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #67

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
ABS is an acronym for "Anti-lock Braking System" ...NOT "Air Bag System"
I read most of your post before comprehending your point.
Thanks Floyd! I know that - just needed a reminder - as I said bonks on the head are not a good thing!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #68

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Smile More air bags, Better it is!

We started towing our 2005 16' Scamp (Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head) with a 2003 Ford Ranger Ext.Cab & it did well, but wanted a little more leeway, e.i. weight to keep the trailer in check in an emergency & more safety features. Therefore we went with a 2009 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Long Bed, which gave a little better MPG and had the most safety features as standard equipment at the time. It has front bags, like all did, but also side air bags as well as side curtains.

We would not be using it as a daily driver & normally there would only be the two of use. We went with a regular cab without any of the extras (manuel windows & door locks) a base model. Went long bed, it just gives the best ride. We also choose the one with the tow package and extra large fuel tank.

We added a A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper (the Ranger had a tonno cover) which with the hight of the new pickup beds would be easier to get thing in & out of the bed and for the security it gives.

We are very pleased with the F-150, very comfortable to travel in & to drive, get about 17 mpg towing, better if not dealing with grades, passes. About 20 mpg without the trailer.

Our Current Rig:

Retired Ford Ranger:

It does have the ABS braking as well as some kind of anti-sway system while towing. The head rests are tilted toward the front slightly to help prevent whiplash, too.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #69

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Irbags, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dave, I appreciate its a personal decision based on experince but as someone who has suffered a head injury I would be not be comfortable in a car with the Air bags deactivated.

To keep this somewhat on topic its also my understanding that the air bag systems in newer cars and the use of newer certified child car seats and booster seats for children make air bags systems a lot safer than older systems. When shopping for a new car it might be worth while to check out what differences in the new systems and what the research is on the system in the car someone might be considering purchasing.

I personally would rather go with the odds that mine or my passengers heads (assuming they are seated correctly in the car) arent as likely to be banging up against something hard by using the air bag system than the odds that I or a passenger may end up with a couple of broken thumbs or other more serious bone injuries as a result.

I would agree with everything you said - BUT

Before I retired I was in a job where I had a secretary. Her sister was in a very minor crunch-up in New Westminster (for those who do not know New West - think streets with steep hills - like San Fran!) She was in her car on one of those hills when the vehicle ahead rolled back and tagged her bumper, setting off her airbags. The "Blamo" resulted her getting both eardrums burst and her sunglasses shattered costing her the sight in one eye. (her thumbs were OK) Her car was still completely drivable. Would they have saved her life in a hi-speed cruncher - maybe, but when a 10 mph cruncher can leave you deaf and blind - I'll just wear my belts, thank you very much! (And I really wish they were 5-point belts, not just the "shoulder and lap belts" system.)
Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #70

New River AZ
Point well taken.....never thought of that

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote