What Pickup Do You Recommend for a Scamp 19'er? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What Pickup Do You Recommend for a Scamp 19'er?

Fellow Scampers:

This question will likely start a lively conversation...

What pickup might you recommend to pull a Scamp 19'er deluxe? I'm guessing it weights in the range of 3,500 lbs. Since I don't otherwise need a pickup, I've been looking at a Toyota Tacoma, 4-door, short bed. (More room inside. Less in the bed.) But I've been told the bed would need to be reinforced to support the hitch, and the truck's mileage, even with the V6, would take a huge "hit" due to the truck's poor torque. I basically know nothing about pickups.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
2010 ford f-150 crew cab 4.6 v8 5.5 bed 4 door I get 15.1/2 towing
Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Greg there is a thread called Trailer Weights in the Real World that shows the weights of fiberglass trailers loaded up for camping. There are a number of Scamp 19's on that list with the front end weighing in from a low of 480lbs to a high of 700lbs - on average though it appears 600lbs seems to most common.

While truck shopping last year I discovered there is a real big spread amongst trucks when it comes to the actual PAY LOAD number. The payload number will vary from truck to truck depending on if its a long box, short box, 4 door or 2 door - boosted suspension - they are all different - so its not just engine size and make and model that change the number. Best to read all the numbers very carefully.

With some of the mid sized trucks once you drop 600lbs into the bed you may find that some only have enough pay load left over for the weight of the driver leaving no room weight wise for passengers & gear or in some cases not even the family dog.

For me the payload number played a big part in deciding which truck I went with. I did actually want a 4 door for practical reasons but at the end of the day I ended up with a 2 door short box in order to get the one with the largest payload that particular truck make/model offered.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Scamp has for years moved ,towed & delivered their 19 ft 5th wheel trailers with a Ford Ranger .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Scamp has for years moved ,towed & delivered their 19 ft 5th wheel trailers with a Ford Ranger .
Escape did as well when they first started making the 5th wheel. Not anymore though. Unfortunately Ford stopped making the Ranger in 2011? and not put one back on the market in NA since - but they have elsewhere and the payload on the one running around in the rest of the world is impressive. Not known if they will offer us that same little truck and engine (diesel) - much speculation they will not and what we get at the end of the day will have as what normally happens a different engine and low pay load towing specs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is a Scamp 5th wheel that just came in the campground we are at pulled by a Dodge 1500 with the 5.7 engine. Same truck we bought to pull a Casita 17
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

NW Wisconsin
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Escape did as well when they first started making the 5th wheel. Not anymore though. Unfortunately Ford stopped making the Ranger in 2011? and not put one back on the market in NA since - but they have elsewhere and the payload on the one running around in the rest of the world is impressive. Not known if they will offer us that same little truck and engine (diesel) - much speculation they will not and what we get at the end of the day will have as what normally happens a different engine and low pay load towing specs.
The Ranger pickup was built in the Highland Park area of St Paul Mn about 8 blocks from the house I grew up in . The closing of the plant had a large economic effect on the area and many of my friends lost their jobs . Many people wish Ford was still making the Ranger in NA including me.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hine View Post
Fellow Scampers:

What pickup might you recommend to pull a Scamp 19'er deluxe? I'm guessing it weights in the range of 3,500 lbs. Since I don't otherwise need a pickup, I've been looking at a Toyota Tacoma, 4-door, short bed.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts.... Greg
Greg, I'm confused??? If you don't otherwise need a pick up why buy one just to tow your small, lightweight trailer. There are many fuel efficient cars, Suv's etc that will work well/better, to tow your Scamp. What vehicle are you currently driving?

If you really are looking for suggestions on what pick up to buy my first choice would be a good used Honda Ridgeline. Reliability, ride, towing ability, you can't go wrong.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I sure miss my Lil' Red Ranger.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0321.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In the largest civil penalty ever levied on an automaker, Honda must pay $70 million US to the U.S. Department of Transport for failing to report more than 1,700 death and injury claims and warranty claims involving its vehicles.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued the release today saying Honda failed to submit early warning reports identifying potential safety issues.
Honda has been fined $35 million for failing to report 1,729 death and injury claims to the NHTSA between 2003 and 2014 and another $35 million for failing to report warranty and customer satisfaction claims over the same 11 years.
The automaker is also required to develop written procedures and a training program that will ensure it complies with NHTSA requirements in future.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I sure miss my Lil' Red Ranger.
Still got mine! guess I always will since they don't make new ones.
14 years old and ready for Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #12

Registry
Some guys just don't cotton to those newfangled contraptions.
Stick with the old reliable 1922 Dodge...
Attached Thumbnails
1922 dodge pickup.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Greg, I'm confused??? If you don't otherwise need a pick up why buy one just to tow your small, lightweight trailer. There are many fuel efficient cars, Suv's etc that will work well/better, to tow your Scamp. What vehicle are you currently driving?

If you really are looking for suggestions on what pick up to buy my first choice would be a good used Honda Ridgeline. Reliability, ride, towing ability, you can't go wrong.
How does one purpose to tow a Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel with a car ?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
We've all seen this but it seemed to answer the question...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...mp=yhs-att_001
Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Thank you Floyd for enlightening me . I still believe that a Ford Ranger is a better choice but my Midwest bias may be influencing my opinion
Old 01-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
OKAY but as my Father used to say " Just cause you can does not mean you should"
Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #18

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Greg we pull our 5er with a 2003 dodge 1500 crew cab with the smallest V8 Dodge has 4.3 I think. We've pulled coast to coast over the mountains out west and the big hills in the east. Put over 15000 miles pulling the trailer with no problems and has averaged 14.4 overall while on trips.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #19

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
In the largest civil penalty ever levied on an automaker, Honda must pay $70 million US to the U.S. Department of Transport for failing to report more than 1,700 death and injury claims and warranty claims involving its vehicles.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued the release today saying Honda failed to submit early warning reports identifying potential safety issues.
Honda has been fined $35 million for failing to report 1,729 death and injury claims to the NHTSA between 2003 and 2014 and another $35 million for failing to report warranty and customer satisfaction claims over the same 11 years.
The automaker is also required to develop written procedures and a training program that will ensure it complies with NHTSA requirements in future.

I think you will find they still are a much better vehicle, safer and with more longevity than GM.
How many years did GM ignore faulty ignition switches?
EVERY vehicle manufacturer is dealing with dangerous Takata airbags.

Be fair in your sniping!!
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I tow my 19Deluxe with a Tacoma, V6, 4.0L, four door, short bed, towing package (well worth the money) and I am very happy with it. Some people think the SMC (sheet molding compound) bed is not good, but it could actually be tougher than the steel beds. And it will never get weakened by rust. I installed the Reese hitch from Scamp myself. The dimensions worked out so well that one rail is mounted by the bed mounting bolts and the other is connected to the second pair of bed mounting bolts with two steel plates. I posted the excruciating details on this forum, I'll try to find it.

GM finally brought back the Colorado and Canyon this year, Toyota was eating their lunch selling lots of Tacomas. One of the car mags has a good review of those two, but that's all I know.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, scamp