What questions should I ask a seller? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Would you give me some insight as to the questions I should ask a seller if I find the egg I am looing for? I know I would like a 13' Scamp with no leaks and front bunks (to sleep 4). But other than that, are there essential questions I should be aware of about condition...etc ? I am a strict newbie and would love any advice. I have already called on an older Scamp that looked to be in great condition, but where do I go from there? Liz
Liz Kissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Liz.. did you look and print out the buys check list on the links at the left? If you go look at a trailer you might want to take a male friend with you or someone that is knowledgable about FG trailer....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
We got ya covered..

from the links section...over there to the left..

Buyers Checklist
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #4

Christi,
Thank goodness I was not behind the wheel of heavy machinery today. I am sorry that I posted this with that as big as day on the side link. SORRY Liz
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

The second most important thing to take with you when you find a FGRV for sale is CASH. These things sell very quickly. Think it out in advance to see if you really want one and then look at the ones you find with cash in hand. If you wait a day to make up your mind, it will probably already be sold.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, Bob is right CASH talks. When you find a trailer and go to see it.... be prepared to pay for it and tow it off. You snooze, you lose.

As a hint, if you find a trailer and it's a distance away....but you believe it to be exactly what you want in the condition you want. Talk to the buyer and tell them, if the trailer is EXACTLY as described....you'll buy it. Ask all the questions you need to feel comfortable with that statement. Remember from their point of view, a bird in hand is worth two in a bush. I chased after several trailers, and drove hundreds of miles just to see taillights of the trailer going down the road. Had I known this tip...which is a verbal agreement between buyer and seller, I could have saved myself $$ for fuel and a bunch of aggravation.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

After a week of very few inquiries into my 13 footer I had up for sale recently, I had a flood of calls this weekend. But, the trailer was already on eBay.

It sold in less than 24 hours. I had several inquiries offering me more money than my Buy It Now price from folks that were watching the auction, and folks on the phone calling about a Craigslist ad I put on doing the same thing. One offer was $4000 sight unseen. That was $800 more than my asking price. (I didn't take it, that would have been wrong) If you see it, Buy It Now.

From the sellers perspective, Donna is correct. I made no attempt to hide the flaws of the trailer and was as honest as I could be about it's condition, good AND bad. One, it's the right thing to do, and two, it gives the perspective buyer the warm fuzzies about your honesty and they are more likely to jump sight unseen, as my buyer did, and all the buyers for trailers I have sold in the past few years. All eBay, all without them ever looking before they hit the Buy button. All gave excellent feedback as well.

Take the checklist and flaunt it. It will make you look like a pro! It did me when I bought the 13.. and I didn't have a clue, but the seller thought I did!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hi Liz

I just purchased an 81 13 Scamp about two weeks ago. I'd ask if they pop-riveted the fridge in.
Having just gone through the process and reading the posts up here for quite awhile the three things that seem to be the really big expense in both $$ and time/labor on the older one's would be the plywood sub-floor, axle replacements, and the interior liner.(I have the elephant hide and I'm attempting to clean and paint it per several posts here.) If the fiberglass shell isn't in bad condition as well, then working on and redoing the interior is, to me anyway, the fun stuff.
Given your location you probably should really inspect the sub-flooring condition due to the humidity if it is an older model.
Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #9

I thank you all for your wisdom. My husband thinks we should just buy a new one. I told him to forget it, I want to go used. And I will have to save my money. The bank does not want to lend $$$ on the older models so it will be all up to me. This is the best way to go, I know, but still..I think my worst thought about this is we would buy something that it not in good working order. We are somewhat handy with tools, but I would hate to buy something we would have to replace a lot on. We just want to hook up and go. I wouldn't mind re-doing the inside, but mechanical wise, I ain't! Liz

I dream of my little family in our own egg in Rocky Mountain National Park!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't be bashful about asking for help from members of this forum...when you start really looking. For instance, if you found a trailer for sale in Portland, Oregon...I'd make an effort to go look at it for you and give you my honest opinion. Whatever an opinion might be worth
If people can help, they will
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #11

I'd be happy to go look at one in Phoenix for you, if you saw one here.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #12

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the help and info. Gosh, this is what the world needs more of...

Hoping you are all gearing up for the best camping season ever. Liz K
Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Liz,
Don't be afraid to approach someone with a trailer in their yard, many of us (Gina, the latest) got our trailers that way. The worst they can say is no I don't want to sell it.

Good Luck,
Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #14

Liz, did you take a look at that 13' Scamp 1995 that is listed in the for sale section of this forum. Believe he's in KC and that one looks like you could hitch up and go....