What's an Argosy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Here are a couple of small photos of the '86 Argosy and an Airstream "Land Yacht" which was the silver painted version from '89 to 91. Nice trailers. I have more photos on another computer. If I get around to it, I might post a couple of them.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
argolft1.jpg   airstream land yacht1989 32 .jpg  

CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1972 10 ft. compact jr.
Alaska
These are huge!! How big is the one on the left??
ObnoxiousDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #23

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDonkey View Post
These are huge!! How big is the one on the left??
These two are 32 feet. Perfect size for "big" but not a fifth wheel.

D*
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
These two are 32 feet. Perfect size for "big" but not a fifth wheel.

D*
Big and very "Long, Long". I think that many of us here are having a Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz flashback looking at those things.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, long, long trailer. Look at all the places there might be to store the rocks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #26

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, long, long trailer. Look at all the places there might be to store the rocks!
How did you know what I had in there??

But my plan is to sell the Argosy (unless i change my mind) and eventually, probably go for the Casita FD from the factory when I win the Texas lottery soon. My travelin' plans were delayed...over ten years. In that time, things change, including my desire to pull a 32-foot, 7000 pound Argosy around the country. I'll probably take the Hitchhiker to Florida and use the fiberglass bubble for traveling around!

I love that Argosy, it is a classy, well-built product. But the excellent build-quality is why I also like the fiberglass trailers I have seen. Totally different products made for different purposes, but both well made with a large following.

Now where did I put that big, round rock??

D*
Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Now where did I put that big, round rock??

D*
Did you use it as a chock?

2011 and beyond... the buzz word is "adaptable." Change the things you can, don't worry about those that you can't, do the best you can.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #28

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
2011 and beyond... the buzz word is "adaptable." Change the things you can, don't worry about those that you can't, do the best you can.
You are correct. I will remember this. It helped! Both of my parents have passed away in the last few years. We made several great auto trips together. My Dad and I made several after my Mom passed away six years ago. My Dad always wanted to RV but my Mom's idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn without a restaurant.

Mom did not like the idea at all when I bought the Argosy and towed it to their house. But within a day, she was calling up all her lady-friends, inviting them over and saying "Come look at what I've got!"

And to keep this on topic...

The early Argosys looked like painted Airstreams, same basic shape although made slightly different underneath the paint, Some of the later crop of Argosy and Land-Yacht trailers, those from '86-91, were bonded fiberglass, some were not. Even with the rounded corners of mine, I have some photos of the same trailer with sharper corners, not as rounded. And the model dates always overlapped with Airstream products. Airstream experimented with this line for six years. Too bad the Airstream company continued to raise the price until after six years, the Argosy/Land Yacht costs about what a classic "round" Airstream costs.

However, the interiors stayed basically the same on this line during the six-year run.

D*
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #29

Trailer: (fiberglass)
Argosy is a painted airstream

my family had an argosy when I was growning up. they are nothing but painted airstreams. they are heavy by todays standards but when they were made they were average weight. they are good trailers. they made a small one like the airstrean bambi. that may be what you have down the street.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
they are nothing but painted airstreams. they are heavy by todays standards.
Actually the Argos was produced on a different assembly line than the Airstream. And although it looks the same shape, it was built different from an Airstream. They use steel on the front panel instead of alluminum. Also the number of panels varied on the Argosy, different from the Airstream.

The Argosy is also lighter than current models, not heavier. All of the Airstreams and Argosys from the 1970s and earlier were much lighter, often by 1000 pounds or more, than later model Airstreams with the heavy wood cabinets and paneling. That's one reason they could be towed by passenger cars.

D*
Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
A worker at the Jackson Center factory in Ohio once told me that the Argosys original purpose was to use the Blem panels that they could not use on the polished Airstream trailers. Once painted, you could not tell that you had a damaged or scuffed panel. I don't know about the front steel caps or molded fiberglass use, but after he explained that to me it made sense. I was under the assumption that an Argosy was just constructed out of seconds or Blemed panels and really not a lot different than a regular Airstream inside.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #32

Texas
Mark, you are correct. i think they used the Argosy to "test" and experiment with new designs and things to be later added to the Airstream brand trailers. I don't particularly know what...but that's what I have been told over the years. Regarding the seat cushions, they seemed a little more plus in the Airstream But either trailer was an excellent product.

The 1986-1991 square Argosys and Airstream Land-yachts were a different product than the '70s Argosy.

D*
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
When I hear the name "Argosy" I always think of the magazine. It was apparently published from 1882 - 1978, with a couple of sporadic attempts at revival. It contained men's stories and some, very mild by today's standards, pictures of women, but not as racy as Esquire and certainly not at all like Playboy. I usually got Mechanix Illustrated or some such.

Am I revealing my age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_(magazine)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
When I hear the name "Argosy" I always think of the magazine. It was apparently published from 1882 - 1978, with a couple of sporadic attempts at revival. It contained men's stories and some, very mild by today's standards, pictures of women, but not as racy as Esquire and certainly not at all like Playboy. I usually got Mechanix Illustrated or some such.

Am I revealing my age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_(magazine)
Yes, I remember Argosy. I'll bet there's still a few issues hanging out around barber shops and doctor's offices.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote