What's an Argosy? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #29

Trailer: (fiberglass)
Argosy is a painted airstream

my family had an argosy when I was growning up. they are nothing but painted airstreams. they are heavy by todays standards but when they were made they were average weight. they are good trailers. they made a small one like the airstrean bambi. that may be what you have down the street.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #30

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
they are nothing but painted airstreams. they are heavy by todays standards.
Actually the Argos was produced on a different assembly line than the Airstream. And although it looks the same shape, it was built different from an Airstream. They use steel on the front panel instead of alluminum. Also the number of panels varied on the Argosy, different from the Airstream.

The Argosy is also lighter than current models, not heavier. All of the Airstreams and Argosys from the 1970s and earlier were much lighter, often by 1000 pounds or more, than later model Airstreams with the heavy wood cabinets and paneling. That's one reason they could be towed by passenger cars.

D*

Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
A worker at the Jackson Center factory in Ohio once told me that the Argosys original purpose was to use the Blem panels that they could not use on the polished Airstream trailers. Once painted, you could not tell that you had a damaged or scuffed panel. I don't know about the front steel caps or molded fiberglass use, but after he explained that to me it made sense. I was under the assumption that an Argosy was just constructed out of seconds or Blemed panels and really not a lot different than a regular Airstream inside.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #32

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Mark, you are correct. i think they used the Argosy to "test" and experiment with new designs and things to be later added to the Airstream brand trailers. I don't particularly know what...but that's what I have been told over the years. Regarding the seat cushions, they seemed a little more plus in the Airstream But either trailer was an excellent product.

The 1986-1991 square Argosys and Airstream Land-yachts were a different product than the '70s Argosy.

D*
Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #33

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
When I hear the name "Argosy" I always think of the magazine. It was apparently published from 1882 - 1978, with a couple of sporadic attempts at revival. It contained men's stories and some, very mild by today's standards, pictures of women, but not as racy as Esquire and certainly not at all like Playboy. I usually got Mechanix Illustrated or some such.

Am I revealing my age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_(magazine)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #34

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
When I hear the name "Argosy" I always think of the magazine. It was apparently published from 1882 - 1978, with a couple of sporadic attempts at revival. It contained men's stories and some, very mild by today's standards, pictures of women, but not as racy as Esquire and certainly not at all like Playboy. I usually got Mechanix Illustrated or some such.

Am I revealing my age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argosy_(magazine)
Yes, I remember Argosy. I'll bet there's still a few issues hanging out around barber shops and doctor's offices.