What's more important? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #29
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
For a 13' footer I can't see how you could make it aerodynamic and maintain the front bunks. There is no question that the Trillium behind our Subaru is a giant wind drag - we got probably 1/2 our usual gas economy if we are traveling over 90km. However, that is offset with the overall lower gas mileage of the Subaru compared to a V6 van or truck both pulling the trailer and as my daily driver.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #30
Discussing aerodynamic trailer shapes, I thought you might like to see this amazing one-off trailer which is pretty nearly a perfect low-drag shape, I would say - rounded front corners (top and side) and rear taper in both plan and elevation. It's not perfect - those exposed fenders rather spoil it, and the roof A/C will ruin much of the excellent roof shape - but it's better than anything else around!

Click image for larger version

Name:	aero_04.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	15997

Reace might like to hear you all say that you think that shape is ugly, so that the seeds of doubt aren't sown in his mind.

The trailer is built with a complete aluminium tube framework, skinned with plywood and faired..... and faired, and faired some more. However the shape would be ideal to reproduce in fiberglass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aero_13s.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	16001

There are many more photos to see on the builder's original posting on the Teardrop forum: My New Trailer

Attached Thumbnails
aero_06.jpg   aero_07.jpg  

aero_10s.jpg   aero_14s.jpg  

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #31
Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
While my initial impulse would be to vote for "angled" for aerodynamics - I'd want to be SURE it actually DID offer better mileage when behind a range of tow vehicles and not that it just "looked" more streamlined.

However - I'd actually be very hesitant to use the angled front in any floorplan that included a front dinette. Any remotely angled front will end up cutting into the usable seating in the front. That's something I came to appreciate in the PlayPac I rebuilt. It was fine for the kids. Likely would have been fine for me if I'd have been 6 inches shorter. But as it was I ended up feeling confined by the front wall leaning in toward me.

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote