What's Old is New Again or Vice-a-Versa - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #15

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Lots of goog answers to the "original" question.
I have made improvements over the past (our first year) of owning, such as all new wireing and other minor changes such as brackets for shelving in closet anda bracket to hold a 12V fan on exhast hood but when the wife saw me with a hole saw ready to install a vent fo the battery box in bottom of cubby this was too much. I explained the need and did the job with no ill effects but then after the season of wishing I had that storage space back I moved the box to the tounge of trailer and now have this 2 inch hole that is covered with a lame peice of plastic, It doesn't leak but it looks like S--t.
No one will ever see it but I know it is there and that bothers me.
I guess I can not understand why people would buy a trailer then start to cut out the front bunks to install a dinnet area and leave the bed set up full time and not just buy a camper that has this set up to begin with.
Gerry the canoebuilder

Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I had that storage space back I moved the box to the tounge of trailer and now have this 2 inch hole that is covered with a lame peice of plastic, It doesn't leak but it looks like S--t.
Is it something you could hide with an inspection hatch??? That way at least it would look like you did it on purpose Here's a link to an electrical hatch. Although a very small access door is probably what you'd want to use.
Electrical Hatch

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #17

Trailer:
It's been interesting to read peoples' comments here, as this aspect of the American psyche is one that's hard for a furriner to understand, particularly a furriner from a country as obsessed with 'old' as mine.

I was watching 'Mythbusters' last week and they were about to cut the roof out of a Studebaker Avante to make a test rig - 'gob-smacked' is our word for my reaction.

I can't see the same concern about modifying an old Scamp, as they're even still in production, not just very numerous. But I respect Frederick for not 'modernizing' his Fiber Stream.

Andrew
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Everyone has their own goals, and thus their own decision, and that's great.

One factor to keep in mind is that "modified" does not mean "improved". Before we bought our Boler we looked at another one of exactly the same model, with twice the asking price justified by a long list of modifications. All but one of the mods reduced the value of the trailer to us, not because we valued authenticity, but because they were badly done or inappropriate for our purpose. Some would be difficult to "undo", most notably the peeling and ugly paint over the original gelcoat. It would have been far better to have left the exterior alone, because now the only way to make the thing look good would be to completely strip, sand, and repaint.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #19

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
Is it something you could hide with an inspection hatch??? That way at least it would look like you did it on purpose Here's a link to an electrical hatch. Although a very small access door is probably what you'd want to use.
Electrical Hatch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Electrical hole was drilled in the floor of the camper so as I said not visible from outside but only when one looks in the cubby and can see a round, cut piece of plastic with silicone ozzed out from the bottom but as I said I and 'MY WIFE" knows it there, all for no reason "now" as she says.
You gotta understand that my hypercondriack wife is so affraid of hurting the structual staingh of the camper there was to be no holes put into it...She doesn't see the air-conditioner on the roof as a problem because it was in when we got the trailer last year.
Maybe that is just a reflection of her idea of my ability to do the work.
I also agree with Brian and if somebody wants something they should do it but I think if when I went to buy my 13ft Boler last year, and the dining area was made into a permanent bed I would have walked away and kept on looking.
I like the versatility.
Gerry
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

The more I thought about this topic, the more I remembered what I had read once about The Smithsonian Institution and it's interest in Levittown, New York.

Quote:
As the first and one of the largest mass-produced suburbs, Levittown quickly became a symbol of postwar suburbia, for good and for bad. Although Levittown provided affordable houses in what many residents felt to be a congenial community, critics damned its homogeneity, blandness, and racial exclusivity (the initial lease prohibited rental to non-whites). Today, "Levittown" is used as a term of derogation to describe overly-sanitized suburbs consisting largely of tract housing. Oddly enough, although Levittown is remembered largely for its homogeneity and conformism, the houses of Levittown have by now been [b]so thoroughly expanded and modified by their owners that their original architectural form can be quite difficult to see.
The museum went looking for an original, unmodified house to buy for their collection, and had a difficult time finding one.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
I try to keep my Boler as original as possible - I like to think in terms of restoration, rather than modification. I find the Boler to be perfect for our needs just as manufactured. I hope to replicate the decals with modern durable vinyl substitutes. When folks see my Boler, I would like them to see it pretty much as Boler made it in '76. I need to get baby moon hubcaps this year! That said, I love many of the mods and paint jobs that folks do with their trailers. Alec

Tags
geographic