What Should I Do After 4 Days of WET Camping???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
What Should I Do After 4 Days of WET Camping????

Well----

1. Throw everything in the garage or kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0450.jpg   IMG_0451.jpg  

IMG_0452.jpg   IMG_0453.jpg  

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Registry
2. Dry screen room and rug all over yard
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0448.jpg   IMG_0449.jpg  

IMG_0447.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Registry
3. Laundry
4. Repack and REPEAT
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0455.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That looks like my house after 15" of rain we head last week here in Pa. !!!!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You have my sympathy. Wet stuff is one of the reasons I don't camp in the Pacific NorthWET during the cold, wet winter months. It's hard to dry out stuff on the lawn when it's a swimming pool!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

Registry
It dried pretty easily, but, dang---the leaves kept falling and blowing all over!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I want to know how you fit all of that stuff into your camper!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

Registry
Dan,

See that Honda Element in the picture? Although still my first love, it was retired as tow vehicle and replaced with Honda Ridgeline truck. We pack the back of that truck FULL!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...and Carol wonders WHY we like to tow our trailer around to events with a truck???

This comes from she, who tows HERS around with a WAGON!!!! LOL

It ain't pretty when we get back to home base.

... but its always great to be back home!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
hehe actually Doug I only wonder about the gas issue and the parking issues of living in the city with a big truck.....

My little city and tow friendly gas saving wagon handled all my wet gear nicely with plenty of room to spare on Sunday. Acually the only wet gear I had to deal with was the outside rug - it needed a bath when it got home - not sure if that was due to the rain or too much wine and other beverages spilled on it on Friday and Saturday night! The awning and party tent where dry by the time I put them away - everything that was under the tent and inside the trailer stayed nice and dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Vicky B. Isn't it awfull how stuff swells up when wet??? I hope it shrinks down, when dry, so it fits again!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
When I first read this post I couldn't figure out the exact problem.

For those of us who travel continuously, without drying options, the solution is simple. We don't carry all the outdoor stuff that gets wet. Everything just have to have a place inside the trailer or inside the tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Well maybe part of the issue is having a 13'er. It's so small for 2 people, the screen room and stuff become more important. Need a 16 or 17!

That's all said with tongue in cheek, though. I know it's more a matter of camping style. Some folks just enjoy having that extra outdoor stuff, some don't, and that's ok either way. My style generally involves many miles and frequent moves with short stays, so I avoid items that require external setup. For multiple day stays in one location, those items can be a nice enhancement.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Long Trips

I know it's more a matter of camping style. Some folks just enjoy having that extra outdoor stuff, some don't....

In 2-300 days of camping this year we end up with both long and short stays; we will stay a day, a week or a month depending on... We figure that on average we'll drive 30 miles a day, normally driving 150 miles every 5 days or so. We try to have a 10 minute setup routine, outside stuff amounts to two chairs and a little table.

We had lunch with budding RVers yesterday and the wife asked me how we carry four season clothing when we're gone 10-11 months. We don't, we layer. Looking at her earings I told her that when traveling you have to choose which earings to take, Ginny normally takes 5 pair, she's uping it to 6 this year for 11 months.

We have the rule that if you don't use it it doesn't come next year. Of course that means that the last couple weeks Ginny is wearing things that have not seen the light of day for the previous 11 months. Her goal when packing is to fill the space given to her, mine is to have easy access to my stuff.

We do not store anything in the trailer like coolers, generators or screen rooms. We try to keep it really simple. We do try to create more storage space in our trailer than a typical trailer because of the way we travel and the time we're gone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #15

Registry
Great point, Mike!!! I've already decided to have a plan for TWO camping styles! I will scale back for short stays (so hubby will be more apt to just "hitch and go"!) And one for the longer stays. The biggest help this trip was that we didn't take the 2 shedding pugs--don't even want to think about that mess!!!

I'm a big-time "nestor"---so making a "home away from home" is part of the fun--like the outdoor kitchen, etc. Cooking in a 13 footer drives me crazy!

All that being said---it only took about 8 hours (spread over 2 days) to get things dry, put away, back to storage unit, and house back in order. It was well worth it----keeps me moving!

AND, it's rained everytime I've camped (except ONCE---2 weeks ago when we camped at 2 Rivers---15 mins. from my home!) So, it's a given!!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Well then Vickie, would you PLEASE come camping in central Texas?
We could certainly use the rain!!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
hehe actually Doug I only wonder about the gas issue and the parking issues of living in the city with a big truck.....

My little city and tow friendly gas saving wagon handled all my wet gear nicely with plenty of room to spare on Sunday. Acually the only wet gear I had to deal with was the outside rug - it needed a bath when it got home - not sure if that was due to the rain or too much wine and other beverages spilled on it on Friday and Saturday night! The awning and party tent where dry by the time I put them away - everything that was under the tent and inside the trailer stayed nice and dry.
Actually Doug I forgot to mention the two main reasons I love my Outback wagon.

#1 is because it has way more storage space in the rear than any other wagon I have looked at including the Volvo and way more by far than any small or so called mid size SUV's I have looked at as well. On an average 3 day camping trip I dont even come close to filling up the back area - usually only half full sometimes less - even with the cooler in the back.

#2 reason is the wagon is great in the snow by far a way better/safer ride than a truck in the snow (even the 4 wheel drive ones). As I live on the side of a mountain and spend a good deal of time in the winter months at various ski hills what I tow with in the summer months also has to serve me well in the winter months.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Carol, I DO know of most of your great work, especially with the Winter Olympics and the car you drive sure does seem to serve you well....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #19

Registry
Thanks Doug I have done some pretty early in the AM drives up and down some mountains that some people would not like even if there was no snow. I have done some so early tht the plows haven't got out of bed yet :-) I know from having driven trucks in the past there is no way I would have done some of those trips if I had been driving a truck! :-)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Great point, Mike!!! I've already decided to have a plan for TWO camping styles! I will scale back for short stays (so hubby will be more apt to just "hitch and go"!) And one for the longer stays. The biggest help this trip was that we didn't take the 2 shedding pugs--don't even want to think about that mess!!!

I'm a big-time "nestor"---so making a "home away from home" is part of the fun--like the outdoor kitchen, etc. Cooking in a 13 footer drives me crazy!

All that being said---it only took about 8 hours (spread over 2 days) to get things dry, put away, back to storage unit, and house back in order. It was well worth it----keeps me moving!

AND, it's rained everytime I've camped (except ONCE---2 weeks ago when we camped at 2 Rivers---15 mins. from my home!) So, it's a given!!!!
Vickie, I recommend a vacation to the desert... Utah is beautiful. If it rains on you there, it's probably just you!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches-Wendy sm.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	40035
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote